What an emotional summer this has been.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an emotional summer this has been.

Long story short, I should have filed for BK in 2008 when I lost my job, but kept trudging through everything and ended up landing a better job. Fast forward to 2011/12 and circumstances changed and I ended up having to commute to work over 160 miles round trip each day. It got costly and I made a choice to leave and to file BK and really go through with it this time. That was 1/27/12 - the last day of work for me. I had been reading on here for a long time and seemed to be prepared with statements, etc... I figured I had to wait at least 6 months for my income to fall off, I currently am still unemployed.

During this time of 2008-2012 I got married last fall and we decided to not have anything joint together which has been a great thing. I'm going to file by myself without my wife. She makes a decent income.

So I finally met with an attorney at the end of June this year to see how to move forward as the creditors were calling and my car was repossessed as well. We worked through the Means test and the other and he seemed to think we could file early, but then came back a few days later and said no since my income was still being included in the last 6 months. Anyway, my last paycheck was dated 2/23/12 and we found out in July that we would have to wait until September now for me to file since my income will be completely off.

I do not have any bank (checking/savings) accounts anymore. Those were closed back in the first of February. I don't have a car, really no assets other than a nice scooter and no money. I've paid the attorney, so I'm antsy to get this started in a week or so.

I am still confused about the household income situation though. My wife makes right at the max income for our state (Indiana) and she got a nice size bonus since the summer as well. Since I'm assuming he'll have to run through all the numbers again I'm hoping I will be ok. Expenses have increased a little bit. My wife bought a bigger house with a bigger house payment. My wife's credit is perfect and she has only a house and car payment.

I'm just scared, I want to start this process as it's been almost a year and i know once I do file I have to wait for the 341 meeting and than 60 days after approximately before it's discharged. I want to move on and I feel like I've been waiting all year for this. So many sleepless nights and anxiety.

I just wanted to share my experience and hope for the best come first of September in hopes of finally filing for Chapter 7.

Your case seems pretty cut and dry. You should be alright. Please come back and share your post-filing experience. Good luck!
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

duraflame,

I really don't have any bk advice that I can give. I'm no expert. I can share that my husband and I filed together. We were over median income and we were fine. Your attorney should go over all the numbers with you. It seems like you should have no problems. Once you file, you will fill a sense of relief. Good luck!!

Comment

Thank-you friends.

I forgot, to add into all of this, my wife and I are expecting our first child on 10/1. It has been a crazy emotional year for sure.

Comment

Oh my goodness your summer sounds a lot like ours. Minus having another baby! I feel your pain and frustration as its been a long summer for a lot of people!!! I know you can get through this! Just think of that precious baby that you will soon see instead of focusing on this lovely aspect of life.
          Filed 13: 8/22/2012 341 Meeting: 10/2/2012 Confirmed: 11/2/2012
          10 payments down 50 more to go!

Comment

I don't have any advice either. But, we originally met with attorney last November and were not able to file until end of June. Had our 341 8/14 - so waiting.

We are in Indiana too - so just wanted to say "HI", and it will all be OK.

Comment

I don't have any advice that others haven't given just know you can always come back here and vent anytime your among friends

Pam

Comment

Hi, congrats on baby #1...what a blessing in the middle of chaos. That baby will put things in order for you like nothing else has and show you how wonderful life can be even when you think you are at the bottom. The bky will be over and done with shortly and life will go on, you do what you have to do in the best interest of your family. The best of luck to you and your wife and new little one ...

Comment

Congratulations on your marriage and the baby to come.

I know you are anxious and want to get the petition filed, so you can get this behind you, but I do want to caution you to just be patient. We hired our attorney in August 2006, but due to a yearly stipend that we receive from a retirement instrument each January, we had to wait until that amount dropped off the radar. Then I lost my FT job, and 'Hub lost his PT computer consulting job. At each change of our financial lives, we had to submit a new set of pay stubs and bank statements to the attorney. I think we submitted at least four sets to her, before we finally filed on December 28, 2007--more than a year after we first hired her.

There was a rush to do that, as Dec. 28, as the last business day of the year, and we were facing a couple of creditor lawsuits. We were afraid that if we waited until January, we would have to wait out that yearly stipend again. What we didn't know then, was that we could have filed in January BEFORE the payout, and would have been okay. But because we 'rushed', many costly mistakes were made that could have been avoided.

We had not yet found this forum, with all of its wonderful posters and information.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support and own stories. I'll keep this thread updated when I do file.

Comment

Finally met with my attorney today and signed away to file. I can't wait til I know when my 341 meeting is.

Comment

Originally posted by duraflame View Post
                        Finally met with my attorney today and signed away to file. I can't wait til I know when my 341 meeting is.
                        You'll know in a day or two! Congrats on getting that fresh start and a special grats for the new baby!!!
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                          You'll know in a day or two! Congrats on getting that fresh start and a special grats for the new baby!!!

Thanks! I can't wait to find out. Do you really find out that quick when the 341 is?

Comment

My attorney e filed and asked that I be informed by email of the 341. I received and email from the bk court that afternoon with the date and time of the 341. My lawyer send me a confirmation letter a few days later with the same info.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                              My attorney e filed and asked that I be informed by email of the 341. I received and email from the bk court that afternoon with the date and time of the 341. My lawyer send me a confirmation letter a few days later with the same info.
                              Wow, that's quick! I believe mine will be e-filed as well. Yay!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X