Feeling overwhelmed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling overwhelmed...

I'm signing a retainer with an attorney to file bankruptcy on Friday. Hopefully Chapter 7, but possibly 13 due to income. I had consults with four attorneys before deciding on the one I'm signing with, and I really think she'll do a great job. I'm just feeling so, so overwhelmed with this whole process. I have been reading lots here and all over the web, but I feel like all the strategy and info is too much. Did anyone else feel this way right before they filed? I know an attorney should help me with all the hard stuff, but I feel like I will never keep everything straight.

I was completely current on all of my debt and just stopped paying two weeks ago. I have already started getting calls. I just let them go to voicemail and then block the number, but they just call back from a different number. My attorney said I can refer the calls to her after I sign, and I hope that they will actually stop calling.

Did anyone else feel this way? I know bankruptcy is the best option for me - my unsecured debt is about 125% of my annual income - and I'm ok with my credit taking a nuclear bomb, but just doing the paperwork, facing the scrutiny of the trustee, worrying about objections, etc feels so insurmountable...

Hi Sarahrob2248:

Welcome to the forum. What you are feeling is very normal. The process seems overwhelming, but the more you read through the 'stickies' here and learn, the better you will feel.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks for the support AngelinaCat- I'm hoping i'll feel a little better once I meet with the attorney on Friday and figure out my next steps..

Comment

Hi, you are right this is a VERY overwelming process with so much information to learn and know. That is why you hire an attorney, you should know the basics and how the process works for sure but leave the bulk of it to the attorney (they work in your best interst). Know what you need to know to be educated about what you are signing and what you are doing. You are making a business decision for your family and your future, you need knowledge to make that decision. Take a breathe and break down into sections. Preplanning and everything leading up to filing is the first section, learn what you need to get through that part. Filing and the time between filing and the 341 meeting is another section, prepare for that when its coming up. Then the 341 meeting etc.

The more knowledge the more control you have and that control will start to breathe new life into you, sounds crazy but it works. When you feel that control you feel like you once again have power over your own affairs and finances. Keep reading, make friends with the process write down your questions as you go for your attorney. Search Google Voice and set it up one of the best things you can do to get through the process. You can do this and we are here to help!

Comment

I agree with the above posts. Your are feeling like most of on this board have felt at one time or another. I will tell you I was a worrier and still am at times,although this board calmed my fears. We had a great lawyer the only one who said a chapter 7 was possible and took the time to explain everything sometimes twice. We stared our journey Feb of 2012 and our fresh start happened Nov 2012. I can not tell you the feeling of relief we have.

We have gotten cc offers in the mail and as of now in the shredder it went. We will some day maybe have a cc again but only 1 at that is it.

Please come back with any question you have and if you get in panic mode like I did please post no question is a stupid question

Pam

Comment

Thank you so much everyone...it makes me feel better to know others felt the same way

Comment

So today has been a really bad worrying day. My main fear is creditor objections. Essentially, and I'm not proud of this, I included my fiances income with mine on several applications. These misrepresentations were made approximately a year ago. I'm terrified that the creditors will compare my tax return info on the schedules with what I stated as my income, and object.

Every attorney I have spoken with about objections has said they are very rare, especially for credit cards. I have never made super large purchases on the cards, but did many balance transfers to them (they were offering 0%) in February, and the largest single purchase was for jewelry last April ($1800). I have always made at least the minimum payment since I received the cards, and usually more so, until this month, when I stopped paying on the advice from my attorney.

Has anyone heard of an unsecured creditor comparing income on the schedules and the application and filing objections? I'm a little more concerned as this creditor in question is a credit union, and I've heard cu's can be nastier than banks...

Comment

I have never hear of any cc filing a objection

Comment

Sararob, wishing you good things for your appt. tomorrow. Remember, one step at a time, when you are feeling overwhelmed, close your eyes, breathe and think of all the good things in your life. You'll get through this, hopefully, without too many bumps in the road.

Comment

So I met with the paralegal today to sign the retainer agreement and to go over what forms I need to gather, fill out, etc. the attorney herself was in court. I feel a little bit better, as now I can start referring phone calls to my attorneys office.

I'm paying the rest of the fee in installments ($500 paid today, $2000 paid in $500 increments over four months, includes filing costs). I might be able to pay it earlier, but it looks like I won't be filing any earlier than March. As much as I want all of this over, maybe waiting that long will be good because it will put more time between my applications and my filing, and more time between my last charge (12/5) and filing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X