Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Going through divorce and have custody of the kids. Husband is soon to be X He stopped paying mortgage early in year and moved out. The mortgage & taxes are more than I make. Work, but, don't make nearly enough to pay everything. X not paying court ordered support etc - refused all and am in court about this now. Now mortgage hasn't been paid 10 months, had to stop paying my credit cards months ago to pay utility bills, food, car, kids expenses and divorce lawyer who I owe $$$ to. Where do I start?

Well, you made the first step by finding this forum. Welcome, and I hope you will come to feel at home here.

You have already stopped using the credit cards so I don't have to suggest that. We usually say that so that you can save that money for a BK attorney, but that is not an option for you.

I know you feel really overwhelmed now, but read through the 'stickies' about BK on both the Chapter7 and Chapter13 boards, and as you learn, you will feel a bit more comfortable. Then, make a few appointments for free consultations with BK attorneys. Even though you may feel like you cannot afford one now, they should be able to give you a 'feel' for your case.

After you do some reading, and listening, you may feel that you are able to handle your case yourself. We have many members hers who have successfully handled Chapter7 and/or Chapter13 cases themselves.

I know you have a divorce lawyer in the mix, but go with someone else not associated with that person. That is just my recommendation for now. But meanwhile, welcome to the forum and {{{{HUGGSS}}}}
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hi and welcomed, overwelming yes...defeated no....I agree with posted above start reading everything in the sticky section of these forums and as many of the stories and questions presented here on the forums. Wealth of info and knowledge is power in this case especially. Sounds like you have already stopped paying all unsecured debt so that is good, don't know who your mortgage is with but many of us have not paid in 1.5 to over 2 yrs and still waiting for foreclosure to happen...

Research Google Voice and set it up on your phone(s), life saver and makes the chapter 7 process tolerable! Start looking for and setting up your "free" consults with bankruptcy attorneys, keep interviewing them until you find one that is "right" for you. Research and read, the more you know about chapter 7 the better you will feel. This is a business decision for the business of your family, that is your priority now and it may be one of the best decisions you will ever make. Stay here with us and it will help you get through this time...ask as many questions as you want or vent away we have all done it! Good luck and take a deep breath...go forward...

Comment

Cat gave you excellent advice. You must be feeling overwhelmed right now. Please know you can come here as a shoulder to lean on.Pam

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X