top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK, background checks, and government jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK, background checks, and government jobs?

I've read that government jobs cannot discriminate (under most circumstances) against those who have filed BK, but I just happened to see a job posting with the SEC, which of course is a finance related position, but it's a low level Program Assistant. There is a background check, so at some point they're going to come across the BK. If I get to the interview process I will tell them since I know they're going to come across it anyway. Does anyone know if BK would be an automatic bar from this type of government employment?

Unless your position requires you to be bonded or a special kind of clearance (I have had high ranking military officers and government agents file bankruptcy with no issues) then the Bankruptcy won't be a problem, unless you don't disclose it when asked (in person or on the application). Remember 1.3 million people file BK every year and if companies excluded these people from hiring them, then we would be a second rate economy in a horrible recession.......

Good Luck
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

I just had an extensive background check done for a new job and it was never an issue. Honestly I don't think it's much of an issue. The only time it might come up is if you are applying to a financial position involving access to lots of finances or handling money. In my job searching the only time I saw it come up was with insurance companies who contacted me for sales positions because they want you to invest in order to open your own office which I always used as an excuse to get them off the phone.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X