Go BK? NO? What? Uncertain!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go BK? NO? What? Uncertain!!!

Perhaps One of the old timers here remembers me. Anyway I joined back in 'O7. I lost my job, lost my house due to foreclosure, had my car repossessed-- and so on. I was very depressed and wanted to kill myself. Things have not gotten much better. I went homeless in 2009, was taken in by a friend and lived in a moldy dank basement hording food and trying to keep myself alive. I had one-one year long minimum wage part time job-- I also fed into the belief that somehow more school would get me a job and get me on my feet. As soon as I really felt the cash register mounting on that, I stopped it but not until $5000 more in debt was added to my previous debt (and I can't get rid of this).

There is no happy ending here-- I am still jobless. The old friend who took me in died and I was homeless again. I had to move in with my brother last November and am sleeping on the couch (this is May 28). The town I am now living in has nothing, as far as jobs, and I need to get the hell out of here. Even where I was, was better than this, Job-wise.

I was constantly told by 3 lawyers not to go Bankrupt because I did not owe enough money. I have been sued by one (bank-- credit card) and now it looks like there might be another law suit for something (do not know what). I want to go BK because these debts will continue to follow me if I do not pay them off.

I was totally ready to go bankrupt, and even got a little money to do it back in 2010. I went to a lawyer and he said not to until I had a job/insurance.

Okay here is the thing:

My friend who died left me a tiny amount of cash. I have not received this yet, and as far as I know it may be another year.

I would like to use the cash to go bankrupt. I need to clear the slate. But I have another idea as well...

I did one smart thing way back when. I got a CDL class A drivers license and have kept up with the medical checks and all the endorsements. But in order to get enough "experience" to get a decent job, I need to go over the road for one year working for a S&%# hole company that mistreats you and under pays you. After one year, I can (hopefully) get a "day job" and work every day, go home and make decent pay.

Even though I think I am in a bad place for jobs, this is "dairy" and beef country and I could make some really good money driving milk or beef hauling.

I am also near to oil fields and can make a lot as a crude oil driver.

Sooo...

This is my conundrum. Should I go bankrupt or should I pay the banks given that I could make enough to pay them back as a chapter 13. Or since I am making Zero now, should I go BK before getting the job?

I really DO NOT WANT to drive a truck I don't know why I got the license, BUT it seems to me that I am in a good position. I do not have a house, I have few belongings, my brother will take care of my dogs (they hate him, by the way), I do not have any monthly bills to pay except a student loan and my storage building.

Please, any who see this-- what would you do! I am 53 years old, and female. I am over my crying and depression. I have a huge gap on my resume due to living in areas where there were no jobs.

More info: The amount I owe is probably no more than 15 thousand.

A crude oil driver in my area makes: $73,000 in Midland/Odessa
    A Milk Truck tanker driver starts at about $30,000

Totally confused: 1/2 full
    Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Hi, well first, I feel for your situation. I guess I look at the bright side first, it could be much worse and more critical, you do not have little kids you need to feed and put a roof over their heads, its just you and the dogs so believe it or not that makes it a little easier. You do not have an underwater house that you cannot sell or rent out which means you are free to move about for the most part. This all gives you options, options equal power put that together with some research and knowledge and you are on your way.

Look, we have all had to do what you need to do, take whatever talent or license you have available and do what you need to do with it. Do what it takes to get back on your feet, if it means working 2 jobs then work 2 jobs. Drive truck and get a part time job as well, you have to decide to stop looking at all you do not have and focus on what you do have. Be happy your brother will watch out for your dogs instead of focusing on the fact they do not like him, should you even have the dogs at this point if you are homeless and no way to feed yourself? All hard life questions you need to answer and move forward with, you have no choice but to move forward unless you like the present situation and how you live. In other words only you can change your attitude and your outlook, we are all responsible for our own happiness I am afraid.

You have the unique opportunity to start over and move forward do not waste it. Start by writing out your goals on paper, short term then for the year ahead, cross them off one by one as you accomplish each one. I wish you the best.

Comment

If you can get a position as a crude oil driver then I'd take it. I know it might not be what you want, but I've found that sometimes taking the worst position you can motivates you that much more to find what you really want. $15,000 isn't a huge amount of debt, but compared to what you are currently making it is. Maybe by taking this job you can save up some money to hire a BK attorney.

Comment

One Half Full, I have no advice to add, but I feel for you. I'm in a horrible, though nowhere near as bad, situation myself. My boyfriend of 23 years passed away and I've been trying to replace the lost income. I've just turned 60 and there is no good jobs to be had, and all I've had so far is a couple of temporary jobs. Then I've just been offered a job at "Wally World," for only part-time temporary. They're another total &*(#* company that underpays and mistreats you. Then a couple of days from now I also have an interview as a manager for a job in food service. Truthfully, neither one of these jobs interests me, but I'm getting pretty desperate, and will have to do something.

Well, good luck in whatever you decide, and I hope one of these new jobs works out for you.

Comment

Ah Halffull, I was surprised by the last paragraph where you revealed that you were a woman!
          Well good for you for looking at a non traditional job for women! If you can make that kind of money, I say GO FOR IT.
          Your lawyers gave you good advice back when for not filing. Really, you are collection proof at this moment. Do not spend that little bit of cash that you need for survival on a bk without knowing what your future looks like!

Get the job first, get health insurance, then think about filing. You need to be in a better place post bk in order to get that fresh start. Could be your debts make through the Statute of Limitations. Which is what btw? you might even very close already!
          You have certainly had your share of travails. I can easily see myself in your exact situation. But you have survived and you will continue to survive and even make things better!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Just spitballin' here...

- You are essentially collections-proof right now. Take what you have to bankroll some forward progress.

- This is a big country. A Class A license is a useful commodity in places like North Dakota, where there aren't enough drivers to haul loads in and out of the Bakken oilfields. You may have to live in the truck or in a cardboard box for a while, but there is a lot of work up there.

- Some of your debt will follow you and track you down (student loans). Some day, you may have to repay them. But, a forced repayment means that you have an income, so that isn't all bad...

- BK can fix debts, but it can't get you a job, or a paycheck, or get you over that hump so you can start rolling again. That needs YOUR effort. In the interim, having a clean license, a clean medical history, a clean urine test, and a willingness to make the effort will certainly certainly certainly get you started toward the right place. If that isn't where you are right now, go find it.

Hey, you can choose to haul around your life's luggage forever. Sometimes it is easier to leave it sitting where it is and get away from it. Once clear of all that static I can promise that things will come more into focus. We aren't leaving this forum until you are free.

Comment

I'd suggest that bk is a backburner issue right now.
              You got a chance at a decent paycheck. BK or not, you still have to support yourself. I'd take that drier job and start getting back on your feet. At a minimum, you need a place to call your own, and your own transportation. I'd assume this job offers health insurance and 401k benefits-take 'em. I'd also suggest you get both a short and longterm disability policy if your work offers it.
              I think you're getting ready to get up off the mat and get back in the game. Good luck!

Comment

All good advice and you made me feel much better. I did not have the CDL when I first started coming here in 2007. I got that in 2012 and did not see it as a way out of BK and a way to legitimately pay back the debt that I owe-- which I seriously want to do-- settle anyway and see it erased from my credit report.

Today I took the step of contacting a transport company that accepts students. They listened to my story, got my information and said that I should not have any trouble getting a job. I would go from 200 dollars a month to 400 per week to start while training, 500 per week after 5 weeks, and then supposedly run about 35 to 40 thousand a year.

I think once I get in and feel that I am safe, like 6 months to a year, I will contact a lawyer and have them set up some kind of compromise or payment plan, be free of this, and re-build my life.

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Hi One Half Full! Welcome back. I remember you. This last post sounds like a good plan. Good luck with it!
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Oh, I moved-- obviously Nebraska is not near to Texas oil wells. I will change that in my profile. Yes I am female. That is not an avatar, it is a photo of me after a hard night of feeling sorry for myself.

Hi Angelina Cat, I remember your name as well.

I will have to give up a lot for this plan. I told my brother it is like volunteering for the army, and I feel I am too old for that. I really do not want to sleep in a box and eat sandwiches and fight traffic all day long, but like I say, it seems like the fastest way to get this nightmare over with.

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

I admire your bravery for trying something new.

You can probably eat something besides sandwiches. Get creative. Road food has come a loooong way. There are even self-heating tins of meals now. And I'd be willing to bet some trucks have microwaves and other niceties Play music that makes you happy or get some learning on cd so you can accomplish two goals at once. Make a point of seeing any interesting sights along the way and maybe set up "waze" when you can to do something interesting on the road.

Everything is perspective. Best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted!!!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post

You can probably eat something besides sandwiches. Get creative. Road food has come a loooong way. There are even self-heating tins of meals now. And I'd be willing to bet some trucks have microwaves and other niceties Play music that makes you happy or get some learning on cd so you can accomplish two goals at once. Make a point of seeing any interesting sights along the way and maybe set up "waze" when you can to do something interesting on the road.

I absolutely LOVE this advice!!!
                        Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                        Discharged! June 28, 2012
                        CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post

Thanks for the tips. Usually only fancy Owner Operators have those built in microwaves and all the rest. We little company drivers need to provide whatever we can to make life pleasant (er).

I have been looking into contraptions for "road cooking." Wal-Mart is often off the highway, and often allows truckers to park, so (after training) I could no doubt bobtail (drive without a trailer) down there and get a weeks worth of groceries. They sell a small 12 volt fry pan, a 12 volt crock pot, a "oven" (don't know how well it works) and a cooker/lunchbox that works like a crock pot. They also have a small mini-cooler.

I'm more the twigs and nuts type, and wondered if I should go back to being a vegetarian, and if it would help more with the food budget and the fact that truckers sit for 8-10 hours a day and you can see they are usually not very healthy looking.

I am not afraid of driving on a nice straight flat road next to the beautiful backdrop of the mountains. What I am most afraid of is New York and Los Angelis traffic, and winter storms that can put you in the middle of a ditch with all your chickens spilled out on the road.

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by One Half Full View Post
                            Thanks for the tips. Usually only fancy Owner Operators have those built in microwaves and all the rest. We little company drivers need to provide whatever we can to make life pleasant (er).

I have been looking into contraptions for "road cooking." Wal-Mart is often off the highway, and often allows truckers to park, so (after training) I could no doubt bobtail (drive without a trailer) down there and get a weeks worth of groceries. They sell a small 12 volt fry pan, a 12 volt crock pot, a "oven" (don't know how well it works) and a cooker/lunchbox that works like a crock pot. They also have a small mini-cooler.

I'm more the twigs and nuts type, and wondered if I should go back to being a vegetarian, and if it would help more with the food budget and the fact that truckers sit for 8-10 hours a day and you can see they are usually not very healthy looking.

I am not afraid of driving on a nice straight flat road next to the beautiful backdrop of the mountains. What I am most afraid of is New York and Los Angelis traffic, and winter storms that can put you in the middle of a ditch with all your chickens spilled out on the road.
                            My aunt used to be a truck driver and from the way she talked most of the trucks she drove had at least those little refrigerators. I guess it may depend on who you are working for, but she got pretty good at learning to cook healthy in a truck. Just takes some creativity. I think she made some stuff from home she could take with her sometimes.

Comment

You can be a vegetarian on the road. When I went vegetarian, I was worried about what I would do when I was on vacation or had to take a trip somewhere.

I sought out a vegetarian forum on the internet and asked them. I got all kinds of very practical advice. It's possible, it can be healthy (if you want it to be), and it doesn't have to be expensive.
                              Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X