top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arahhhgggg!!! Two more months before I can file.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arahhhgggg!!! Two more months before I can file.

Well, the wife and I went to our attorneys office yesterday, planning on signing the final draft of our Ch 7 petition so that we could file it.

Just as we're finishing up, we ask about the "gross yearly income" amounts on a couple of forms as they are different from each other. He looks at them, says he needs to look at my pay stubs and he'll be right back.... he comes back 5 minutes later and says, "we have a problem".

He has looked at my pay stubs (I guess for the first time) and noticed that they have two different "gross" wages figures... a "w2 gross" and a "total gross"... the total gross includes the money that my employer pays for my medical. The W2 gross does not. See, my employer has a "cafeteria" style benefits plan, each year they give us "flex dollars" and we choose a medical, dental etc. plan and use those "flex dollars" to pay for the plan. We HAVE to choose a plan, we can't just say, "hey, I'd like to opt out of the medical coverage and keep the $1000 a month extra that you pay for it". So it's mandatory.

My attorney says that the trustee/judge may look at this as income... well, this would add about $12,000/year to my income and push me about $300 over the median income.... and into a chapter 13.

Well, I take a look at all the figures and note that on ONE paycheck about 4 months ago, I earned about $500 extra due to a one-time event (I'm salary and don't normally get overtime)... well, this $500 is what pushes me over the limit. If we wait 2 months before we file, then the 6 months worth of paycheck stubs that they use to calculate my total income will not include this "one time" earnings.... and thus I'll be about $200 below the median income and back into a chapter 7.

My attorney says that he's not positive that the trustee will look at the "total gross" figure... but that it COULD happen.... and that would be bad as if we file and that happens, we're toast. We can't just back out and say "never mind". He's going to research it some more this week and try to see if there is any clarifying law on this... but so far all he's been able to find is a wonderfully vague statement that could mean anything that the trustee/judge WANTS it to.

DAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDA MN!

I REALLY wanted to get this going and now I get to sit and fret and worry and stress for two MORE months over whether or not I'm going to get sued before I file... or wonder if there are any OTHER mistakes or problems that will end up pushing us to a ch 13 etc. etc. etc.... and THEN the process can hopefully start.... and I'll STILL have several months of worrying and waiting to see what else will go wrong!

Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
    341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
    Discharge: 1/12/07
    Closed:1/19/07

I know it must be a real disappointment for you to have to wait another 2 months to file, but on the other hand, looks like you have a lawyer who is on top of things and looking out for what is best for you! Good luck.
    Filed..........August 10. 2006
    341.........September 22, 2006
    Last Day for Objections........November 21, 2006
    Discharged............November 27, 2006

Comment

Hang in there, and COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, that you have a lawyer that is taking care of your "interests"....... mine sure didn't.... and caused me a lot of grief.

Your attorney sounds like he knows best right now..... And if someone does sue you, chances of it going into court before you file are slim.... besides you can get judgements removed.

So I suggest WAIT IT OUT as close as you can, listen to your attorney and I do believe that this one will TAKE CARE OF YOU.

Keep us posted
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

We're in the waiting crowd too, Lost.

Not because of income, but,..........

First we had to wait to file because we were looking to move.

Then we had to wait to get a couple months of bills from the new place to establish expenses.

Now we're waiting on our attny who's gotten busy filing other people's cases that have come in since we hired him.

Our Certs expire middle of Sept, so I emailed the paralegal about the pending expiration. I asked would we file before the expiration date or have to get new Certs. She responded the expiration date would be our target date. She didn't expect we'd need to get new Certs.

Waiting is very frustrating. I feel like I'm living life in a Hold Pattern. Watch what we do in fear that the Trustee may find something objectionable in our paper trail.

UGH!!

I feel your pain, Lost!!
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Patience, Grasshoppers

Sorry ! Inspired by moderator's green logo and up too late last night watching old Kung Fu stuff with daughter #1...

My holding pattern should be over mid-September, too. Needed to put some months distance between the business sale and some too large LOC payments on my bank overdraft that might have been preferential (share the account with daughter #2.) I held off until last month on doing pre-BK counsellling, so I'm good for a bit if any more delays come up.
          August '05 Business failed.
          Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
          Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
          disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X