top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they ask about BK for life insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they ask about BK for life insurance?

I just applied for life insurance and was asked if I'd filed bk in the past year. I answered "no" because I haven't filed yet. Why do they ask that for life insurance purposes? It's not like suicide is covered by life insurance.

Like for any insurance, assessing ability to pay. Many states allow insurance companies to use credit profiling to aid in determining the premium to charge you. It sucks, its wrong, but it happens.

Comment

HHM,

Thank you. She told me they would not be checking my credit report. I said I had not filed BK, but I didn't say that I had plans to do so in the future. She didn't ask about that. I'm not insolvent, anyhow and can definitely pay my premiums every month. Is this ok? I may not be filing for a few months and they're coming to do my medical exam next week.

Comment

I had a major issue with trying to get homeowner's insurance a couple of years ago fairly soon after we were discharged. Some companies will take you not at all, some will only take you after a span of five years between discharge and your application for their insurance. Some will want to know exactly WHY you had to file BK. It isn't right, but the practice is allowed....

I have a fairly long rant in this thread if you are interested.....

Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X