Insurance Company Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Company Inspection

So, we were pretty happy to be so close to the end of our CH 13 with only 6 more payments to go....UNTIL our insurance company decided to do an inspection of our home. They sent us a certified letter that stated that we have peeling paint on our dwelling facia and that our garage roof has moss on the shingles. They gave us until 10/28 to address these issues. Really...only a MONTH??? Yep, that's what it says! And, if we don't address these issues, they can drop our coverage.

Well, I called our agent and advised that there is no way we can do anything on our garage roof until spring. She said she would contact the insurance company to get that taken care of. She also thought that we didn't need to worry about the peeling paint on the front of our house. She did call me back to let me know that our insurance company has a flag on our account until next spring at which time they will want our proof that we are doing something to repair our garage roof. THEN, she called me again just this past Friday and said that we do need to address the peeling paint on our house as well.

My husband is sooo pissed! He wants to drop our current insurance and find new coverage. I kind of agree, but I do know that getting quotes often required that insurance companies do a credit check. I am sooo at a loss on what to do. We don't want to sink money into these fixes as we're trying to save up to get both our house and garage sided with vinyl and get our garage roof done at the same time. Guess that's not going to be an option if we have to sink money into these dumb fixes sooner rather than later.

I'm just worried all of this now, and I'm really stressed out. What do we do?!?!?
    I think it is just wrong that an insurance company can do this - require you to fix something that isn't THAT BAD, and threaten to deny you coverage if you don't address these issues. I know it's legal as I looked into it....and I understand why they do it. But, I still think it's wrong!
    We've never, ever, had one claim....NOT ONE!!! Been with them for 14 years.

Anyone have any experience with this....or any suggestions....or any calming advise????
    Filed Chapter 13 on March 16, 2010
    341 Mtg on April 16, 2010, Confirmed on May 7, 2010 (Step plan for 36 months)
    35 months down - 1 to go

This bothers me immensely....when the hell did insurance companies start doing yearly inspections of ones home?! Talk about crazy!

Change ins. companies. We are with Erie and the ONLY time they've ever come out to our home was when we first purchased it....and they only walked around the outside and property - not inside.

As for your current ins. company - you should have your agreement along with any riders; read over them front to back and see if there are requirements that they are allowed to inspect at will for no reason.

As to the paint - easy fix..just prime it for now.... and as far as the garage roof goes - do you have a pressure washer? If so...just clean them off on gentle (so you dont strip anything off)

if there is no rider / clause as to inspections whenever...I'd tell them to pound sand.

Comment

My insurance agent told me that some, but not all, companies will send someone to inspect the home. If they find something that they don't like, or if you have mis-represented something in your paperwork such as having 1000 sq feet of living space, when it is really only 900, they can and will drop you.

We have an acquaintance, whose insurance company is going to drop her because of repairs that she needs to have made to the roof of the garage. She can't afford that. So she went with the state insurance company, Citizen's, for coverage. But Citizens is raising their rates for 2013, and she won't be able to afford that either. Citizen's is wanting to pare their list, because they fear they won't be able to handle a major catastrophe such as a hurricane.

We are insured with Citizens also, so in February 2013, we will be hunting new insurance. And yes, having a bankruptcy on your record will make a difference.
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I've never heard of that AC - how terrible that ins. co's are allowed to do as they wish!

Think I'm gonna hold onto my agent for dear life - I can make changes to my policy with just a phone call! Hell I even put earthquake insurance on ours over the phone - and only had to wait 7 days to do it (barring any aftershocks of course... 7 full days no earthquake activity). There were some co's that required 6 mos to a year or more before allowing coverage.

Comment

This thread contains my saga of finding homeowner's insurance in 2009. My rant starts about #5 or #6:

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            My insurance agent told me that some, but not all, companies will send someone to inspect the home. If they find something that they don't like, or if you have mis-represented something in your paperwork such as having 1000 sq feet of living space, when it is really only 900, they can and will drop you.

We have an acquaintance, whose insurance company is going to drop her because of repairs that she needs to have made to the roof of the garage. She can't afford that. So she went with the state insurance company, Citizen's, for coverage. But Citizens is raising their rates for 2013, and she won't be able to afford that either. Citizen's is wanting to pare their list, because they fear they won't be able to handle a major catastrophe such as a hurricane.

We are insured with Citizens also, so in February 2013, we will be hunting new insurance. And yes, having a bankruptcy on your record will make a difference.
            AC: Check with Security First. We got a great deal with them thru Geico. A few years ago Allstate dropped us and we were close to having to get Citizens. My rates post BK are actually lower than they were pre-BK. And I was never even asked about my BK. My renewal just came in the mail no increase and we had a claim a few months ago.
            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Thanks Freddy03, we will. But we have a lot of other issues with our home besides just the BK. My list is in post #6 in the above quoted thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                Thanks Freddy03, we will. But we have a lot of other issues with our home besides just the BK. My list is in post #6 in the above quoted thread.
                Oh I see. Well I'd give it a shot. Good Luck
                "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X