Unexpected Medical Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Medical Bill

I have not posted for a long time. Last year, I was in the hospital for a couple of days and I have ended up with a bill for services of $1,500. This is 20% that my Medicare did not pay. Years, previously I had great insurance through my state's Connector and at age 65, I was booted off it onto Medicare. I make a little too much to get Medicaid. I now have been able to get a supplement, but I did not have it when I had to use the hospital, and do not believe they will go backwards.

The hospital called constantly for months and finally gave up and sent the bill out for collection. I really want to start paying it, but I want to pay the original creditor (hospital) and can only afford something like $100 per month. Should I just make copies of one of the last invoices, and send $100 each month? I will use a money order, as a precaution so they cannot have my bank information. I am on Social Security and have a part time job at a huge company. I don't want my company to find out, because I am afraid I would lose my job. I need it with my monthly stipend to survive.

Call the hospital and find out if it's the hospital's collection department or if it went to another agency to collect. In my experience hospitals will make deals and accept payment from people, but they do not advertise that fact.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Sounds like the best idea.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X