top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this latest checking account be frozen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this latest checking account be frozen?

Because of this BK stuff I closed my original checking account, and opened a Well's Fargo checking, which I then learned would be frozen by Well's Fargo. So, I opened another checking account at Union Bank of CA. I told them I would be filing BK and asked whether they would freeze this account. They said 'no'.
    However, yesterday I opened mail from them and now wonder whether the Trustee would freeze this account. I wasn't quite thinking this through when I opened it. It has a "cash reserve limit" of $1000. [Essentially, overdraft protection, but it seems to work like a credit line. I can withdraw cash up to that limit.] So, I'm not sure now that I can "bank" on this account; deposit money and feel safe it won't be frozen.
    [Can I use that feature?]

Any ideas? Can I even open another account at this time? Can I make any changes to this account such as trying to remove the cash reserve feature? [I'm reading that they charge an annual fee of $12 for this (in June); and of course there are fees/interest for use of it.]

Any input would be appreciated. thanks, gf

Google Union Bank and BK. http://www.chs-law.com/2008/09/chang...to-filing.html

You will see that they are worse than Wells Fargo about freezing bank accounts.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I think I would go with a credit union or Bank of Mattress until you get this sorted out.

Comment

Thanks so much for the heads up, StartingOver!

I'm going now to Union Bank to withdraw.

Apparently, Wells Fargo isn't as bad as Union Bank. From what the link says, they seem to have at least a $5000 limit at which they won't bother to freeze.

The problem is of course, you don't want to send out your e.g. rent check, and not know whether it will be honored.

Tiger, I looked around for a Credit Union, but couldn't find one. And I also read somewhere credit unions are supposed to be bad when dealing with BK.

Now it seems you can't trust what they tell you. I specifically asked Union Bank about this.

I'm really not yet sure how I will sort this out. I wasn't planning to pay things by money order.

Comment

I've heard that credit unions are bad if you have another loan with them, for cross collateralization, but I don't know if they are so bad for general purpose banking in a BK. I'll try to dig up a credit union locator link for you and post it later, but right now I have to run. Got a repair guy coming.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X