How to List Money Owed to Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to List Money Owed to Me?

The big reason I am filing BK is because I loaned my ex a bunch of money (and he charged up my credit cards, but thats beside the point) - he verbally agreed to pay me back but we do not have it in writing. Obviously I have been unsuccessful in collecting this. So, how do I list it on my BK? As an Accounts Receivable?

Jessica
    Jessica
    Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
    Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Money owed to you is an asset. List it on Schedule B.

I hope you're not filing with the expectation that the court will go after him for the debt. They probably won't. The down side is, if you file, any amount owed by him to you above your exemptions may be "taken" by the trustee. However, I doubt they'll want to deal with going after a personal obligation unless you have a promisory note or a contract.
    4/14/2010 Filed Chp. 7 Pro Se :blink: 5/17/2010 341 Hearing :blush2: 5/17/2010 Trustee's Initial Report Filed :yahoo: 6/4/2010 Final Trustee Report of No Distribution :clapping: 8/2/2010 Reaffirmation Hearing (Approved) :clapping: 8/11/2010 Discharged!
    I am not an attorney. You should not consider any of my statements to be legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by trigabyte1 View Post
      Money owed to you is an asset. List it on Schedule B.

I hope you're not filing with the expectation that the court will go after him for the debt. They probably won't. The down side is, if you file, any amount owed by him to you above your exemptions may be "taken" by the trustee. However, I doubt they'll want to deal with going after a personal obligation unless you have a promisory note or a contract.

Frankly Im at the point where I dont care if they take everything but the clothes on my back, I just want a new start. he is the reason I'm filing, but if the court choses to go after him thats up to them, I'm not expecting I will ever see any $.

Thanks for your help! I kind of thought thats how it was listed.

jess
      Jessica
      Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
      Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X