top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I file by myself? More info inside...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I file by myself? More info inside...

I think the $2000 I've been quoted to do my filing seems a bit high, and was wondering how hard it would be for a guy like me to file on my own...

This is my info.

1. Single Male, no kids.
    2. Not a home owner, only own one car worth about $2500.
    3. Basically have tons of credit card debt. (not sure how much, but a lot.)
    4. Only make ~$25,000 a year now.
    5. probably $30,000 in student loans.

Could I do this relatively easily on my own?

$2000 is a pretty reasonable fee IMO. Many of us (but not all) who file Pro Se do so because we can't afford an attorney, not because the prices are unreasonable. That said, whether filing on your own is for you or not depends totally on your own comfort level. It's definitely not for the faint-hearted, though, and it's not a simple process.
    This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Two suggestions often given here are #1) Get an initial consultation with several attorneys, since most of them will give you a free consult #2) get the Nolo book on Chapter 7. It has great information, instructions and also includes forms. However, if you decide to file Pro Se, make sure you check your local district's rules and additional forms (found on their website)
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

If you go pro se expect to spend a lot of time doing the forms. I'd say at least 10-20 hours. Make sure you are comfortable doing research on the internet. You can find out how to file yourself but it takes time and work. Another option is the internet paralegal/attorney options, much cheaper but quality can vary, and still much of the work will be on you.
        I am not an attorney. This post does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

There was a similar post like yours that I replied to last week. I too am single, no kids and had already given up my home (a year prior to filling). The student loan debt is yours until you pay it off, as it's not dischargeable.

I would agree with the poster right above, consider your options. Like I had mentioned in a previous post, I filed because I am bankrupt, which means I had no money for an attorney. If you decide to go pro se, expect to spend a weekend during the paperwork. The paperwork really isn't all that bad, and your case sounds pretty straightforward. Between the book and this board, you should be fine going pro se. But definitely talk to a few attorneys for their consults.
          Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
          Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X