Divorce During Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce During Bankruptcy

Hi everyone, I filed chapter 7 bk pro-se on Oct 5 and my 341 meeting is on Nov 10. I am so nervous and a little terrified but I also want it to get here already. Ugh

Now for my most recent problem.

I've been married for 29 yrs but lived separately from my husband to help take care of my ill mother. I never wanted too but it looks like I will be filing for divorce. The reasons are personal but with the length of our marriage and because we got most of our assets while we were married although my husband tells me since my name is not on most if anything I own nothing and will get nothing(that's a topic for another forum) I believe I will get some kind of divorce settlement.

Questions:

1) Should I bring up the possibility of getting a divorce and possible divorce settlement with the trustee? I'm not sure if I should considering that
    A: I'm not sure if I will file for divorce before discharge date(around Jan 9th) since I currently have no money which was one of the reasons I filed my bk pro-se.
    B: I don't know if I'll receive any kind of settlement. It's possible I could walk away with nothing.

2)Do you think if I don't mention it that the trustee might think I was trying to hide something if during bk or after discharge I suddenly file for divorce and get a settlement which I did not disclose?

3)I checked the bk law and it says you must report any divorce settlement that you acquire or are entitled to acquire to the Trustee. Does that mean that if I file on Nov 11th that since that was the day I filed I would have to report any divorce settlement even if I don't actually get it until after 180 days from my filing date is up.

Sorry for all the questions but you were all so helpful during the petition preparing part of my bk I hope you can answer some of my other questions. TIA
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se 10/05/2010
    341 Meeting 11/10/2010 ; I Survived!
    Discharged 1/11/2011 THANK GOD!!

Never mind my question everyone. I've decided it would be best for me to wait to file for divorce until after(hopefully) my bk is discharged and closed. It will be one less thing for me to panic over.

On another note please wish me good luck on Wednesday at my 341 meeting. I dotted my i's and crossed my t's but I am still so nervous. I hope my trustee is nice. Please let him be nice!
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se 10/05/2010
    341 Meeting 11/10/2010 ; I Survived!
    Discharged 1/11/2011 THANK GOD!!

Comment

Best to you on Wed...after reading some of your past posts you have those i's and t's covered.
      You WILL do great!! I've sent the "trustee god of love spirit" your way
      filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
      "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X