top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if a job offer comes up pre/post 341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if a job offer comes up pre/post 341?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what happens if, at the time you file your paperwork, you are unemployed, but either before or after your 341, you get a job offer? Is it just a simple matter of contacting the trustee and explaining the new income, or do you have to refile some of your paperwork?

Also, and I hope it's o.k. at to attach this question to the same thread, but on my Schedule I, I put at the bottom that there is no increase/decrease expected within one year of filing these documents, but since I am job hunting, do I need to list that I am looking for a job, just as a heads up that it could change? As far as I know, I could get an offer the day I submit my paperwork, or two years from now (hopefully not that long!).

Thanks for the help!
    Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
    Discharged: 03/29/2011

In answer to your question, you have no assurance that you will find a job in the next year, so nope, no need to state that you expect an increase. Now, if you knew that you were coming into an inheritance or something, that would be a different story. As far as getting a job post-petition/pre-341, the trustee will ask you if anything has changed since you filed. That is when you would tell him if you got a job in the interim. It happens often, I'm sure. A lot of people who are forced into bankruptcy are unemployed and actively seeking employment.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply!
      Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
      341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
      Discharged: 03/29/2011

Comment

I think you also need to see the difference between actually having a job and the offer. Offers sometimes are contingent upon passing certain pre-employment tests. In this case, you really don't have the job until after those tests are passed.

I personally would not feel secure that I had the job until I started. There are a lot of things that can happen between offer and starting.

I received an offer and then it was rescinded a week later due to budget cuts.

If you start a job after the 341, then it's no issue. It's not something you have to notify them of. I have a list of 5 things I have to notify the Trustee of if they occur within 180 days after filing, and getting a job is not one of them.
        I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
        Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X