top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you met w/ Lawyer prior to Pro Se filing, what did you ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you met w/ Lawyer prior to Pro Se filing, what did you ask?

Good morning,

I've been planning on filing Pro Se and started my research and paperwork. I'm meeting with a Lawyer for the first time next week and wondering how any of you used this opportunity if you were planning on filing Pro Se? Are you gauging his reliability/usefulness? Asking about specific scenarios regarding the mechanics of filing? Something else?

Just trying to prepare myself as best I can. Thanks!

Hello,

Before I filed, I took the opportunity to meet with a local BK lawyer and asked him mostly about legal questions pertaining to my case. I felt I had a firm grasp on the procedural stuff from the advice I received from people on Bkforum and from NOLO. I remember asking about cohabitation and if I need to list my g/f's income (since I was and still am unemployed), and I asked some questions about venue since at the time I had moved from another state approximately 7 months prior to meeting with the attorney and then just asked a few questions about exemptions. I felt his advice was helpful, but in truth it's been here on the forum and NOLO that has prepared me the most. But, yeah, it was definitely worthwhile to meet with him and get his legal advice.

I hope that helps!
    Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
    Discharged: 03/29/2011

Comment

We met with two. I had some questions about assets and what state's exemptions to use as we had moved several times during the past few years. Both of them were unsure about what I was asking and that made me realize I could do it myself. No one cared about my case more than me.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to some action here. I feel like I've been doing more preparation than anything else. This coming weekend I should get a lot done.

Comment

I filed Pro Se and did not have a visit with an attorney first but looking back, I would have went through the paperwork, got the NOLO book and filled out what I could. I would have gathered the questions I had and asked him about those things. As it was, I was able to bounce off the questions I had here and have had no problems whatsoever.

Comment

I did not consult with any attorneys before I filed. I filed as an emergency filing due to electricity bill. I researched Illinois BK law online like crazy, looked at sample filings, filled out my forms like 5 different times, asked questions here on this MARVELOUS forum, and everything went fine. Too, I guess I did feel a little funny about using up someone's time on a consult when I knew I would never be hiring them...
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

I guess I'm keeping an open mind re: whether or not I might actually hire a lawyer if I decide I like what they can offer me. With the advice on here, and in my Nolo book I do feel pretty confident that I can pull this off by myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by crb416 View Post
                I guess I'm keeping an open mind re: whether or not I might actually hire a lawyer if I decide I like what they can offer me. With the advice on here, and in my Nolo book I do feel pretty confident that I can pull this off by myself though.
                That's pretty much what we did. I also got some bankruptcy software so I could fill everything out on the computer. It helped with my confidence because my forms looked like ones a lawyer would submit

Comment

Originally posted by ameliabedilia View Post
                  That's pretty much what we did. I also got some bankruptcy software so I could fill everything out on the computer. It helped with my confidence because my forms looked like ones a lawyer would submit
                  Would you mind sharing which software you obtained? I have downloaded "Best Case" Demo and I'm looking it over, but no idea what the price is...maybe I don't want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Snuff View Post
                    Would you mind sharing which software you obtained? I have downloaded "Best Case" Demo and I'm looking it over, but no idea what the price is...maybe I don't want to know?
                    We used 1 click bankruptcy. Can't remember if I can name a website on this forum or not, but if you google that it comes right up. Now, this was three years ago, so I don't know if there are better ones out there now. They're still in business, which is probably a good sign. It was about $50 or so and it worked really well. Definitely worth it to us.

Comment

Thanks for the lead and it is probably good software, but it seems like they can't help us up here. They can't tell the difference between Alaska and Alabama (both start with AL and it must be confusing to them) when clicked on Alaska for state exemptions it comes up with Alabama...oh well.
                      Really appreciate your help tho...!

Comment

I went to 3 lawyers, all free consultations. I asked about state exemptions, prior divorce, car value/allowance if paid off, property value in home. Two of them gave me a means test, one let me keep it, which was very helpful. All wanted over $2000 plus filing and class fees. I ended up filing Pro Se, but found a Paralegal with worked in a BK firm. I used online BK forms and the means test and the Paralegal filed out all the forms correctly and in the order the court prefers. I filed myself (there was a L.A. Co. Sheriff officer filing right ahead of me, sign of the times...) and all went smooth. My sister did the same thing, but did it herself with NOLO and this site. Good luck in your decision.

Comment

After the law changed in 2005 lawyers seemed to have to do 4 times the work. When a person files prose the Court allows a prose debtor to make mistakes that they would skin an attorney for. Attorneys just cant work for free. We have to pay rent and salaries, There is so much work and review that we have to do to file a petition properly that I can not imagine charging less than 1000. If a person cant afford the 1000 plus the 300 filing fee and the 2x 50=100 credit counseling fees you may have to file prose.

The cost can close the courthouse doors on very poor debtors. I wish that there was something like the 1040x short form for Debtors in Bankruptcy Court. Very poor people that can not put a petition together simply have their bank accounts emptied, their wages garnished and the cars hauled off. At the same time I think that if you can work a couple of extra weekends and pay an attorney to do it you may save more money that it costs to have an attorney file the case. I just had someone last month that decided he knew more about how to file than I did and he ended up losing a car. Presently he has to either file a Chapter 13 or lose a 20,000 dollar car that he would have kept (bad timing). Perhaps if you have absolutely no property to lose you may be able to file without losing anything. After all you can't lose what you dont and never have had. But Debtors can not file a petition as well as an attorney that has filed 3,000 or 4,000 cases can.

There is nothing wrong with a client that knows what to do. I love it when a client can work with me. But when a client thinks he knows so much that he thinks he can do it on his own without any risk that is dangerous.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X