No announcement yet.

Pro Se Success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just came from my 341 meeting and it was so simple ....people actually laughing! The trustee looked at me and said "are you sure you didn't have anyone help you file?" I think he was pretty impressed!! I think when you file ProSe you are just more prepared....some of the attorneys didn't have all the paperwork they needed. One gentleman swore under oath that he was familiar with bankruptcy, how it worked and all the schedules he signed. When the trustee said they were finished the man said "what happens now?" He had an attorney!!! If there is anyway you can get to a hearing before yours just to sit and listen, I would highly recommend that. I should have filed years ago...so happy I walked through the fear! You can too!!

Comment

At my 341, the trustee asked me a few questions about my exemptions (used wildcard). Since I had completed the paperwork (and been meticulous), I could easily answer them. He then complimented me on the paperwork and told me I could have a career as a bk attorney! I laughed and thanked him & that was that. My debt was discharged and I'm now pursuing an AP against my student loans and doing it pro se.
      Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

Comment

I filed pro se on Nov. 5th and received my discharge on March 11th. I had no problems along the way at all. My only concern is whether the court will approve the reaffirmation of my car loan. Other than that one item, I had no more difficulty as someone with an attorney. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LynnD View Post
          I spent far too many years believing that pro se wasn't possible. Everything you read makes it seems like it is impossible to do it correctly. So I waited and waited.. year after year and finally decided I'd just wait until my judgments fell off... except they didn't and they were renewed. At that point, I was pissed. Pissed that I'd waited all these years because I didn't have the money for an attorney and didn't believe I could do it. I got my NOLO book and posted a few questions here and filed in Dec. I am due my discharge in only a few days. I could kick, hit and pinch myself for waiting! It was NOT that bad at all. Filing was a huge weight lifted from my shoulders.

At my 341, I was not treated any differently than the people with attorneys. It was a breeze. Just answer the questions and you will be on your way out the door within just a few minutes.
          My case was just like Lynne's. As long as you researched and prepared very carefully, you should be fine. If there are any glaring errors or if you missed anything, you'll receive a letter from the trustee's office letting you know, in advance of your 341. Good Luck!
          Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
          New Job 7-2011

Comment

It's almost time to do my girlfriend's CH7. I had to do a CH7 of my own a few years back. Mine was very complex, but I followed my lawyer step by step. I don't see it being that difficult. I'm thinking of just getting a paralegal to do the paperwork. It will only cost 300 Bucks compared to a lawyer that is over 2k.

Comment

Originally posted by samson420 View Post
              It's almost time to do my girlfriend's CH7. I had to do a CH7 of my own a few years back. Mine was very complex, but I followed my lawyer step by step. I don't see it being that difficult. I'm thinking of just getting a paralegal to do the paperwork. It will only cost 300 Bucks compared to a lawyer that is over 2k.
              My suggestion? Save the $300 and do the paperwork yourself. Just get the Nolo Chapter 7 book, download it at their website. The reason I say this is that once you've compiled all the info, you could have the paperwork all but complete by yourself. If you pay a paralegal to do the paperwork, YOU (your girlfriend in this case) are still 100% responsible for errors in the petition.

Just my opinion, of course
              Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
                My suggestion? Save the $300 and do the paperwork yourself. Just get the Nolo Chapter 7 book, download it at their website. The reason I say this is that once you've compiled all the info, you could have the paperwork all but complete by yourself. If you pay a paralegal to do the paperwork, YOU (your girlfriend in this case) are still 100% responsible for errors in the petition.

Just my opinion, of course

The filing is a bit of a pain. But, her case seems simple. Yet, I think I kinda want to go with my paralegal. I had a real good experience with her. They do the job well, worth the few hundred bucks. I think. . . . . .

Comment

I also filed pro se, and although the trustee tried to scare me into saying that I was perjuring myself, the meeting was easy and I was glad I didn't spend the money on an attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X