Pro-Se Filing in Maryland any pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-Se Filing in Maryland any pointers?

I am in the process of filing Pro-Se in Maryland my situation (short version to save dramatics)

I was previously married and now remarried, my case with my ex lasted over 3 years I now owe her 50k, Our joint home (me and the ex) has now foreclosed after I kept it current for 2 1/2 years after divorce. I was laid off, and subsequently my DoD security clearance is being held up due to outstanding debt. I get ~700 every 2 weeks from unemployment, my current wife is making a little money (all 1099 though) I was previously making in the 120k range.

I am about 270k in debt including 1 vehicle the other vehicle is paid off as of this feb. the credit union is out to repo my other vehicle which I would like to keep and reaffirm, or renegotiate if possible. I owe about 8k on it but am behind about 4 payments now.

I have put off filing mainly because I could not afford to pay the attorney, now I see I can file myself and even ask to have the fee waived I feel my situation would warrant a waiver of fees.

Ohh and 1 creditor has recently gotten a judgement against me for 12k

I filed pro-Se in Maryland. I doubt you will get the fee waived. You can file a motion to make payments while the case is on going they will not issue a discharge until all fees are paid. There is a free lawyer to answer questions at the Greenbelt court house. The info is on the BK clerks website. There are also pro-Bono lawyers who might help you for free. There is also a list on the clerks website. I would never reaffirm a car loan. In our Court you can ask for a Chimm order which lets you keep the car without reaffirming. I got one. After BK discharge you can vacate that judgement and all collection efforts stop after filing. Your income is based on an average of the last 6 months so make sure you time filing correctly so you can do a 7.

Comment

BK attorney first consults are usually free. You could make a few appts. and get some advice, even if you file yourself.

Comment

I have done a couple of consults, I actually found a lawyer I though was reasonable (1500 total) but ofcourse its due upfront..

yeah my income currently and for the last 6 months is well below the median for Maryland for a family of 3. Its rough, I have never even filed for unemployment in my entire life, no less now I even get foodstamps... but, oddly me and the family are happier now then we where with my 6 figure salary.. So I guess its working out.. I wouldnt change the time with my son for anything now...

I do not plan to reaffirm the debt, I would either negotiate a purchase, or hold out as long as possible before turning it over to them (so I can save as much as possible to purchase something else) Its my wifes vehicle.. my car is paid off but also has 145k miles on it..

Comment

Also I signed up for the Pro-Bono network through University of Maryland, (the law school) however that was in January and still I am in the "Waiting Pool" apparently its if someone decides to take the case.. not a guarantee.. now I am pending repo, so I need to do something quick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X