top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traded in a car and pocketed some cash. Will that be a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traded in a car and pocketed some cash. Will that be a problem?

My wife traded in her car for a new car and pocketed $7k in cash. We had $15k in equity in her car, so we put down $8k on the new car and kept the remaining $7k in cash. We plan on filing for Ch. 13 in 6 months or so. Currently, we are not late on anything but that will change in the next two weeks. Will keeping the cash be a problem? We havent gotten the check yet so should we cash it in our checking account when we do receive it? We plan on paying $2k toward property taxes and will have $5k left over for emergency expenses when we file for Ch.13. Thanks.

Originally posted by NeedOptions View Post
    My wife traded in her car for a new car and pocketed $7k in cash. We had $15k in equity in her car, so we put down $8k on the new car and kept the remaining $7k in cash. We plan on filing for Ch. 13 in 6 months or so. Currently, we are not late on anything but that will change in the next two weeks. Will keeping the cash be a problem? We havent gotten the check yet so should we cash it in our checking account when we do receive it? We plan on paying $2k toward property taxes and will have $5k left over for emergency expenses when we file for Ch.13. Thanks.
    Check your states exemptions to see whether the cash is exempt or not. (You don't tell us what state you are in.)
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I'm in CA. Thank you.

Comment

It's an asset in your BK if you still have it. That's all.
        If you still have it when you file (and it can't be exempted) it just helps set a minimum of payments into the plan.

If you spend it, you'll want it to be for necessities (like taxes), and you'll want to be able to document where it went.
        12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
        8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
        9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

Thanks Keptdigging. Since I don't plan on filing Ch. 13 for another 4-5 months, am I going to need to show the trustee where the money went?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X