Gifts question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts question

I'm in the middle of filing pro se Chapter 7 with my 341 hearing in 2 weeks. I understand that gifts given to family members within a year should be reported on my Statement of Financial Affairs. My mother & sister are both disabled. I've given them each 500$ within the past year. In addition, I've given my mother $750 as a Christmas gift in 2012. Should I be worried about my Trustee making an issue of these gifts?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are over the median, more likely , it may be questioned. They ? our withdrawals of 500.00 in our checking account. We however are getting our discharge. Just be truthful.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

There is nothing to worry about in bankruptcy as long as you disclose everything and (as Floridagail points out) you are truthful.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I'm definitely under median (about half of the state median income). My sister and mother are both disabled, so I make sure to help them during Christmas and come tax refund time. I just have these nightmares of the trustee not believing that/not caring. I think I'm going to have a stroke before my 341 hearing rolls around.

Comment

We all worried and its normal. It will be over b4 you know it. Just answer briefly what the trustee asks. That is what my attorney told me. I did not sleep much the nite b4, and felt foolish after the 2 min meeting was over.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Floridagail View Post
            We all worried and its normal. It will be over b4 you know it. Just answer briefly what the trustee asks. That is what my attorney told me. I did not sleep much the nite b4, and felt foolish after the 2 min meeting was over.
            What he/she said.
            Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
            Discharged! June 28, 2012
            CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

The code allows you help support family members. From 707:

II) In addition, the debtor's monthly expenses may include, if applicable, the continuation of actual expenses paid by the debtor that are reasonable and necessary for care and support of an elderly, chronically ill, or disabled household member or member of the debtor's immediate family (including parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren of the debtor, the dependents of the debtor, and the spouse of the debtor in a joint case who is not a dependent) and who is unable to pay for such reasonable and necessary expenses.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X