Items in Vehicle Repossessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Items in Vehicle Repossessed

The couple at the end our cul-de-sac lost their vehicle to a repossession agent in the middle of the night. Knowing that I have security cameras and that the vehicle would have to pass my house he came to see me. I'm two driveways from his and at the entrance to the cul-de-sac.

He was really nervous as we were playing back the video. Smoking like crazy and wringing his hands. I found it on the recording, in at 3:10 AM and out by 3:13 AM, pretty dang fast.

He pulled out his cell phone and I quickly found out why he was so nervous. There was an M-16, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 9 mm pistol in the vehicle. Not to mention a couple body armors and other gear. See both he and his wife are deputy sheriffs on the SWAT team. Considering that they both have squad cars, I don't know why all his stuff was in his own car but it was.

They got very lucky the tow company was out of a neighboring town still in this county. He had a couple of his buddies roll and they all went over to recover the stuff.

IF YOU ARE BEHIND ON PAYMENTS, DON'T LEAVE STUFF IN THE CAR! Especially the stuff that could get you fired!!!

Wow they were very lucky!

Comment

AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!! I just CANNOT believe the stupidity of some people..... And to think that this couple is an example of the type of people we expect to act professionally, and keep our streets safe???!!!

And that they are depending on the security system of the neighborhood computer geek to provide the video coverage??? (Sorry Bell30656... )
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 06-12-2012, 05:04 PM.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Why people would have that in their car especially since they knew the car was getting repossessed is beyond me. Hard to believe they just turned the weapons over to him. Are you allowed as a citizen to own a M-16?
        Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

An AR-15, disabled a bit, is the civilian version of the M-16. And yes, it is legal to own one in several states.

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
            Why people would have that in their car especially since they knew the car was getting repossessed is beyond me. Hard to believe they just turned the weapons over to him. Are you allowed as a citizen to own a M-16?
            Yes, select fire and full auto weapons are allowed to be purchased by non le and military folks. There are some steps you have to go thru, that include finger prints, photos, back ground checks by the ATF, FBI etc and of course that all important $200 tax stamp. Yes, thats the big one, thats the one that everyone gets all upset about, you need a one time fee per NFA weapon you want to purchase, its called a tax stamp, and its cost is $200.
            NFA is National Firearms Act.
            It includes short barrled rifles and shotguns, suppressors, full auto, select fire and AOW( any other weapons) a class within a class so to speak whose tax stamp is only $5.
            Now some states regulate the ownership of NFA weapons, which means they feel you are not allowed to own, but most states are not so restrictive and allow the ownership of legally purchased and registered NFA weapons with the cancele tax stamp as your affirmitive defense.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              An AR-15, disabled a bit, is the civilian version of the M-16. And yes, it is legal to own one in several states.
              Correct a AR15 is a semi auto only version of the M16, which means it can only fire one round per pull of the trigger. Barrels cannot be shorter than 16" unless you have applied for and have the lower receiver transfered to the NFA list and classified as a short barrled rifle.
              Otherwise all other features are normally the same.

Comment

I got the idea that these weapons actually belonged to the Sheriff's Department but they may have been their own. I was just loading my vehicle up with my luggage for a quick trip and noticed that the Jaguar is back in the driveway. They must have straightened out whatever the issue was that caused it to be repossessed. (Maybe made some payments?)

And yes AngelinaCat, I would admit to being the neighborhood computer geek. When my alarm sends me a text message nothing beats being able to verify the house is secure especially when I'm out of town. Everything I have is mine and I don't want to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                  And yes AngelinaCat, I would admit to being the neighborhood computer geek. When my alarm sends me a text message nothing beats being able to verify the house is secure especially when I'm out of town. Everything I have is mine and I don't want to share.
                  That's the way we are. We have cameras also, and can log in to the camera system to look around when we aren't home.

Comment

A point of clarification:

To purchase any pre-ban "machine gun" weapons or parts (e.g., $16,000-$20,000 for a pre-ban M16) you need to purchase via a class III FFL dealer, to have the weapon transferred to you via form 4; then for "fun" you include your photo, fingerprint cards, and have the local Chief of police sign it and then mail it off with a check for $200.

Wait! Don't pick it up yet, because if you get caught by Johnny Law without your license or tax stamp (which by the way, the BATFE does not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed tax stamps) and it's time for a little vacation in Federal pound-me-in-the-you-know-what prison. So if anyone ever tells you they "own a machine gun" be VERY wary of this person...

Since 1986 the laws of supply and demand have ruled and these weapons can cost upwards of $50k each. Full auto weapons have been regulated with three different pieces of legislation: National Firearms Act of 1934, then the Gun Control Act of 1968, and finally the Hughes Amendment in 1986.

Uncle Sam likes to know where this kind of hardware may be "just in case" ;) Actually, these laws created a market, and it's unlikely that they will ever be changed. These are expensive NFA guns and collectors will not want their $50,000 collection to drop to $10,000 or less over night (depending on whats in it).

BTW I live in Louisville, KY home to the Knob Creek machine gun show and shoot...quite a hoot to watch...just Google "Knob Creek night shoot" ;) lol
                    Last edited by tazunemono; 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

So they were worried about them getting repossesed, but not stolen? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Awhile back there was a local cop that was on vacation and his house was broken into and they took his handcuffs and gun. Are the people in law enforcement really so stupid that they don't think to lock these things up when they aren't being used? I thought this is what gun safes were for.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
                        So they were worried about them getting repossesed, but not stolen? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Awhile back there was a local cop that was on vacation and his house was broken into and they took his handcuffs and gun. Are the people in law enforcement really so stupid that they don't think to lock these things up when they aren't being used? I thought this is what gun safes were for.
                        In a perfect world no one would be breaking into anyones house. I have alwasy said locks are for honest people. Meaning a honest person will never know if your door is locked or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tazunemono View Post
                          A point of clarification:

To purchase any pre-ban "machine gun" weapons or parts (e.g., $16,000-$20,000 for a pre-ban M16) you need to purchase via a class III FFL dealer, to have the weapon transferred to you via form 4; then for "fun" you include your photo, fingerprint cards, and have the local Chief of police sign it and then mail it off with a check for $200.

Wait! Don't pick it up yet, because if you get caught by Johnny Law without your license or tax stamp (which by the way, the BATFE does not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed tax stamps) and it's time for a little vacation in Federal pound-me-in-the-you-know-what prison. So if anyone ever tells you they "own a machine gun" be VERY wary of this person...

Since 1986 the laws of supply and demand have ruled and these weapons can cost upwards of $50k each. Full auto weapons have been regulated with three different pieces of legislation: National Firearms Act of 1934, then the Gun Control Act of 1968, and finally the Hughes Amendment in 1986.

Uncle Sam likes to know where this kind of hardware may be "just in case" ;) Actually, these laws created a market, and it's unlikely that they will ever be changed. These are expensive NFA guns and collectors will not want their $50,000 collection to drop to $10,000 or less over night (depending on whats in it).

BTW I live in Louisville, KY home to the Knob Creek machine gun show and shoot...quite a hoot to watch...just Google "Knob Creek night shoot" ;) lol
                          You can by-pass the LE sign off by forming a trust.
                          Many folks have NFA weapons so when I hear a person talking about them, I strike up a conversation, I met a lot of fine folks that share the same interest.
                          The ATF keeps records of who has what in the NFA realm, so I would not worry about lost papers on your end all that much. I am sure you could obtain copies.
                          There are still plenty of affordable NFA toys out there.
                          Knob Creek, yup know all about it.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X