Business Personal Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Personal Property Tax

I emailed my attorney on this and am waiting for a reply but wanted to put it out there and see if anyone here had dealt with this.

My business went under last Fall. I stopped paying everything in September and the main company financing my equipment sent me a notice of private sale in November (they had a lien on all the LLC's equipment). Chapter 7 (for me and the business) in November, discharged in February. Fast forward to now; the town (in CT) keeps sending me delinquent tax statements for the business personal property. They are addressed to the LLC. I spoke with them over the summer and they stated that the taxes weren't discharged. I told them that may be, but that the LLC is closed (and the financing company now owns the equipment), and I no longer have any personal connection to this debt.

Two questions. 1) Am I right? 2) What can they do anyway; can they come after me, or just the property?

Again; I am going to get with my attorney on this, but I wanted to know if anyone else had dealt with this and what happened.

Thanks.

LLC = Limited Liability Company".. The real issue here is the town's definition or interpretation of the word "Limited Liability". Does it imply that you have a "limited" liability in paying its taxes/debts (full or partial) or "ZERO" liability" for taxes/debts (none or partial) to anyone/entity at all (even after you disolved)?

Google & See...

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
      LLC = Limited Liability Company".. The real issue here is the town's definition or interpretation of the word "Limited Liability". Does it imply that you have a "limited" liability in paying its taxes/debts (full or partial) or "ZERO" liability" for taxes/debts (none or partial) to anyone/entity at all (even after you disolved)?

Google & See...
      Agreed. I've been Googling and Binging myself silly. Most jurisdictions definitely expect you to pay, but it is unclear what they can do to you personally if you don't. I obviously couldn't care less if they go after the equipment, which hasn't been in my possession since last year, but I wonder if they have the ability to go after my wages or some other shenanigans. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what my attorney says.

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post

Google & See...
        Thanks for educating me also...

Comment

Notify your town you are no longer in business and the date the business stopped being a business. This should stop them from trying to collect on the business personal property (tax).
          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I thought when I spoke, in person, with the tax collector this summer that it would take care of it...and I haven't heard anything else from the Constable who had a warrant this Spring, but maybe I have to go talk with them again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X