Quick Garnishment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Garnishment Question

After hearing from the judgement creditor that I can not re-establish the payment plan that I defaulted on and the garnishment would go through I'm wondering who determines the amount that is taken.

I know they can't take more that 25% of my pay after taxes but might they take less for longer? Who decides this? The CA says my payroll department decides how much to take.

~C
    ~ b r e a t h e ~

In my garnishment it was 25% after taxes.
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

I'm pretty sure they will take the maximum amount until the debt is paid off. They are out to get paid and if the law allows them to take 25% that is what they will do. At this point you really have no negotiating power as there is no reason for them to do it.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

A very basis look at the Federal Garnishment – I do have Excel worksheet that you can put your exact information in so you can get an idea of what will be withheld.

Kansas follows Federal Garnishment Laws: 25% of the employee's disposable earnings, or the amount by which an employee's disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum wage (currently in Kansas $7.25 an hour).

A weekly pay period example:
        If the pay period is weekly and disposable earnings are $217.50 ($7.25 X 30) or less, there can be no garnishment.

If disposable earnings are more than $217.50 but less than $290.00 ($7.25 X 40), the amount above $217.50 can be garnished.

A maximum of 25% of disposable earnings can be garnished if disposable income earnings are $290.00 or more.

Disposable earnings are total earnings after all deductions required by law; Federal, State, City, SS and Medicaid Tax have been taken. Of course, child support, tax garnishments and C13 payments will affect the total amount withheld.

Hope this makes sense.
        Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

To lessen the blow, you can reset your W2 deduction to 0 for max federal withholding as well as the state one. Plus you can do additional dollar amount withholding as well.

Originally posted by DesdemonaB View Post
          A very basis look at the Federal Garnishment – I do have Excel worksheet that you can put your exact information in so you can get an idea of what will be withheld.

Kansas follows Federal Garnishment Laws: 25% of the employee's disposable earnings, or the amount by which an employee's disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum wage (currently in Kansas $7.25 an hour).

A weekly pay period example:
          If the pay period is weekly and disposable earnings are $217.50 ($7.25 X 30) or less, there can be no garnishment.

If disposable earnings are more than $217.50 but less than $290.00 ($7.25 X 40), the amount above $217.50 can be garnished.

A maximum of 25% of disposable earnings can be garnished if disposable income earnings are $290.00 or more.

Disposable earnings are total earnings after all deductions required by law; Federal, State, City, SS and Medicaid Tax have been taken. Of course, child support, tax garnishments and C13 payments will affect the total amount withheld.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

I live in Maryland and 25% was taken out of each pay period.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X