top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Already filed as unemployed, should I take new job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already filed as unemployed, should I take new job?

I filed chapter 7 on 8-15 and have the 341 on 9-13-05. I have been unemployed for quite awhile and have the opportunity to start work again. If I take this job then my income will surely show the ability to repay in a chapter 13.....question is...when is it safe for me to return to work and not mess up my chapter 7?

You can take the job? Money earned after you filed BK is yours.

The only time this scenario gets dicey is if you had the job offer, but waited to file BK before accepting.

Practically, take the job, you need the job, right? How else are you paying your expenses right now?

Comment

Thanks for your response....

My wife works and we have another small source of income right now. We can make our remaining obligations with about $800 a month left over for groceries, gas, clothes, etc. When I return to work, that all will be extra income. Granted this may sound bad, having this extra income, but we are filing bankruptcy on almost 60K of unsecured credit and we have already turned two cars in back in March and this credit union and that default balance is almost 18k. These debts monthly total about the same as my take home pay will be when I return to work...just making the minimums.

Since I am already taking the huge hit financially with the bankruptcy, I just want to maximize my benefit from this failing experience. By discharging my past poor decisions and being able to have a fresh start with returning to work, it will greatly help us get back on our feet.

I am not trying to get out of working as I have been waiting for so long to return. I just want to get the most out of this experience as the negatives will be there for so long no matter what.

HHM...thanks again for all your help. I filed myself and your individual help was very beneficial and I felt like I always had someone to go to. Anyway, thanks for helping us strangers get through our difficult times!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X