Quit Job: Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit Job: Now What?

Quit my job a week ago... and I will not qualify for unemployment. I hate my job so much that I don't care if I'm homeless or not. Really. It stressed me out so much that I finally had one of those life-changing "I don't care" moments and turned my notice in. I really need a change in career.
    I have been under a doc's recent care for depression and anxiety and on corresponding meds.
    But in this economic climate, I may be the only person in the country who's crazy enough to quit his job! I will start another job soon, in a different career, at a MUCH lower salary.
    Eventually I'll need to file CH7. I have a crushing debt load... which is the only reason I endured a stressful crappy job to begin with. I'm have to move to a cheaper rent apartment. I'll break my lease and likely incur thousands of dollars in additional debt.
    I don't think the trustee will grant a CH7 because technically I quit my job. Now what should I do? How does a person get debt relief if they're going to be denied CH7 for quitting?

I'm no expert at this but I cannot imagine you can be denied the right to file CH7 if it is what it is. No income, can't pay debts. No one in this country can force you to be an indentured servant. Banks are being bailed out with taxpayer money and then taxpayers are funding huge bonuses for these glorified bank secretaries all under the present governments blessing! If the common citizen is denied right to file beacause suspicion for abuse bar has now been set so high, then I see trouble coming ahead in this country as the avalanche of filings is yet to come. Good luck and file. My icome dropped 80% so I will file in 3 months CH7 . I have no hope of ever earning what I did in the past. Good luck.

Comment

You're not stupid for quitting. When I quit it won't be because I hate my job...I'm the stupid one. Will happen after filing though, if all goes well that is.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

The reasons behind your loss in income have NO bearing on your BK. The trustee won't ask, and it's irrelevant. They are only concerned with how much you made in the six months prior to filing.
        Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
        341 Meeting 09/09/09
        Discharged 11/12/09
        Closed 12/14/09

Comment

AND your total assets on date of filing. Nothing else. Kick back and don't worry.
          Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

you won't be denied a chapter 7 because you quit your job. A lot of people quit or leave for different reasons.

Just give yourself some months for the income to fall off if you need it. You'll be fine.

FYI: My husband was in a similar situation; and he is now back in school getting a degree for a different career = much happier.

Originally posted by Restart View Post
            Quit my job a week ago... and I will not qualify for unemployment. I hate my job so much that I don't care if I'm homeless or not. Really. It stressed me out so much that I finally had one of those life-changing "I don't care" moments and turned my notice in. I really need a change in career.
            I have been under a doc's recent care for depression and anxiety and on corresponding meds.
            But in this economic climate, I may be the only person in the country who's crazy enough to quit his job! I will start another job soon, in a different career, at a MUCH lower salary.
            Eventually I'll need to file CH7. I have a crushing debt load... which is the only reason I endured a stressful crappy job to begin with. I'm have to move to a cheaper rent apartment. I'll break my lease and likely incur thousands of dollars in additional debt.
            I don't think the trustee will grant a CH7 because technically I quit my job. Now what should I do? How does a person get debt relief if they're going to be denied CH7 for quitting?
            Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
            341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
            Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
            Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Thank you all for you replies.
              I appreciate the encouragement... I am certainly not "abusing" the system, but I thought all was lost because of voluntarily quitting. It's nice to know I may be able to get some relief!

Comment

I don't blame you for quiting a stressful job, sometimes you just have to know your limitations and if it gets stretched to thin, that's all you can do but walk away. If you were being treated for depression and anxiety, couldn't you have gone out on disability instead of quiting?

Comment

Quiting? No big deal. I have done it a lot.
                  I cannot stand working for dumb people or companies.
                  You have to be able to live with yourself too you know.

Comment

voluntarily quitting makes you ineligible for unemployment but not for bk.

however, if you quit because of medical reasons, that may be "good cause" and you might be able to make a case that it was not really as voluntary as it might seem, in which case you could get unemployment benefits. call your local legal aid office and see if they will help you.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X