No announcement yet.

Unemployment Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes you wonder how many families that used to camp for recreation are actually living in campgrounds now after losing their homes.

Comment

Was it that bad 26 years ago? I was young but I didn't remember it being that bad.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Snickers View Post
        Makes you wonder how many families that used to camp for recreation are actually living in campgrounds now after losing their homes.
        You would think people have friends or family they can stay at... I guess some families don't..
        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I am also aware that here in AZ in the winter we have many families, not just snowbirds, living in RVs.
          I suspect that if the bank knew where these RVs were many would be repossessed as so many are out of work living in them. I have noted that many of these RVs do not have current registrations and this is the reason I suspect they are in arrears on payments too.

Comment

Hubby draws unemployment about 3 weeks out of the month. the only job he could find was commission only and it pays squat. But he is working, and feels better about himself for doing that. If it were not for the unemployment check helping us out we would be living in our cars. Even a BK can not pay for future living expenses. I am glad they are extending it. My Dad is 90 and he remembers the depression. He said people lived in their cars and were gaunt.. I don't want to ever see that happen again. Employers need to hire again, their profits are up.

Comment

To KenShirley....I meant 30+ homes in MY hometown with only about 3k people in the community.....
              (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
              :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Wow, that is bad.

Comment

Yes, I am shaking in my boots watching families pack up and move out in the middle of the night around here. Our home dropped in value over 30k in the past 12 yrs. It is truly a scary time all the way around it.
                  My son, age 35, and family, lost his job (economy), lost his home, now eating from local food banks/shelters, and went bk back in April as well. So it is hitting home for me to watch my own son suffer in front of me............
                  (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)

Comment

Yes we lost our home due to buying an RV about 6 months before the market crashed and then could not sell our home.
                    Our Son and his wife and kids lost there home when he and she both got laid off from good jobs due to the companies folding.
                    Our Daughter and her husband and new baby are in the process of moving in with us here until the can find work in this new area as they have to relocate due to my daughter's job loss which paid almost $70k.
                    Both of my kids have been out of work for a year. And my son's wife for about 7 months now. Her father is helping put her through a doctor's assistant program so she can get work. My Son got a job after a year, but it doesn't pay the $50-60k the old job did, that's for sure.
                    Both kids and their families will have to file BK.
                    Hang in their, it's not over yet. I suppose before to long I may have to rent a bigger home for all of them including the 3 grandchildern down the road. But we can do that with our retirement income fortunenately.

Comment

OMG, that is terrible!! I hope you and yours recover soon too.
                      About the rv..............we bought a 31' 5th wheel (nice!!) and a diesel truck at the same time back in 2004. One month later, spouse lost his job. The company went bk themselves. He is disabled, but that company adjusted his work so he could stay there. After they closed, he drew unemployment. We have struggled from 2004 up to 2006 when his health got worse, and he filed for Soc. Sec. Dis. He got his claim in 2007. By then, we used cc's to stay a float, and I helped my son(s) to get by off and on then too. Now here we are, suffering ourselves. We still have the rec. vehicle, and are trying to save it (it is nonexempt, ya know)?? Lawyer says we might get to keep it but I am afraid we should not have asked for it back with our house/2nd/and 2 cars. We are idiots to be in a no asset with all that stuff to ask for, and owing 53k to unsecured. We shall see.......
                      Oh, our 341 was 10/14. Our lawyer forgot to bring the signed reaffirmation papers to the 341 so the TT said to bring them to him on 10/23. I just talked to all the creditors and they have not received ANY signed papers. I shouldn't worry then.........right?
                      Also, the TT has NOT put in a report and it is 14 days past the continued 341 of 10/23.
                      What do you think of all this? I truly need someone that has been through this to give it to me straight here...........

Comment

Yes we have had many RVs and wanted to go full time and see the country.
                        We got a deal on the big 39' unit was gas was headed up but that was not an obstacle for us as we intended to stay in areas for a month at a time and travel buy our towed car.
                        So we prepped it and the home and land for sale. We owed about 50% of the value of the home but we needed some cash out to pay off a couple of other debts.
                        Then the housing market crashed. We all know what happened there.
                        And my wife lost her job due to disability (she was already retired and working due to being bored as I had been at one time). I already had to quit my job I had in retirement due to medical problems so we figured what the heck, let's go see the country and spend about 5 years making a couple of loops around.
                        Good Plan, wrong time to do it. Without her job to pay the additional expenses we could not afford all of it and neither the RV nor the home would sell for anywhere close to what we owed.
                        We were stuck, so we turned in the keys to the home and moved into a rental and filed BK.
                        It was our only way out, like many here. We are just thankful that we do have a good retirement income to live on. We are not rich by all means but we have some left over after the bills are paid to try to enjoy the years we have left.
                        The way we see it is that we are better off than many now, and I hate to see the way things are going for many here.

Comment

These stories are unbelievably sad.

I am praying for all of those suffering. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.
                          Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Comment

Thanks but save the prayers for those that need the help now. We are trough the process and thankful it was there to bail us out.
                            Our Daughter and her husband by the way will now file the first week in Dec. right after they move in with us.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
                              It was our only way out, like many here. We are just thankful that we do have a good retirement income to live on. We are not rich by all means but we have some left over after the bills are paid to try to enjoy the years we have left.
                              I guess I'll die at my desk. Nobody born in the mid 60s or after has any real prospect for retiring comfortably -- unless, of course, he worked for the fedgov or was very wealthy during the working years.
                              Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                                I guess I'll die at my desk. Nobody born in the mid 60s or after has any real prospect for retiring comfortably -- unless, of course, he worked for the fedgov or was very wealthy during the working years.
                                My parents were born in the mid 50's they are pretty much screwed too. Mid 70's here and I know I am.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X