No announcement yet.

Unemployment Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

watching ABC nightly news this afternoon and they had a very interesting but sobering point- it will take five years of 300,000 jobs created per month to get back to unemployment levels of when the recession first started in 2007... its going to be a long and difficult journey ahead...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
      watching ABC nightly news this afternoon and they had a very interesting but sobering point- it will take five years of 300,000 jobs created per month to get back to unemployment levels of when the recession first started in 2007... its going to be a long and difficult journey ahead...

That is why no matter how positive they spin all this it's not going to be good news at all.

These numbers are sobering and these 15 million unemployed obviously cannot starve in the streets.

It means that all the entitlements the govt has to give the unemployed such as UE insurance, welfare, food stamps, obama care, etc. will bankrupt the nation for certain.

The only way I see any hope is to either bring back the manufacturing jobs tomorrow and not a day later. If not that then war is the only other option.

Since obama is still more concerned with expanding govt and less concerned with helping the private sector create jobs I feel this nobel peace prize winning "leader" will opt for war since that's what the banks want him to do.
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Tent cities spring up in LA
        Tent cities have sprung up outside Los Angeles as people lose their homes in the mortgage crisis.

A BBC report about the unemployed living in tents.

Comment

Originally posted by Xue View Post
          Tent cities spring up in LA
          Tent cities have sprung up outside Los Angeles as people lose their homes in the mortgage crisis.

A BBC report about the unemployed living in tents.
          Uh, this is a video from March, 2008, over two years ago. It describes the plight of the SUB-prime homeowners that could no more afford an expensive CA home than a 48" HD TV. And they knew it when they signed the liars contract that never confirmed their income. The fact is, Americans who never earned enough to live like Kings are just going to have to live within their social class and income in the future, eg. Renters and Cash only. You know, exactly how it was in the 1930's, the 1940's, the 1950's, the 1960's, the 1970's, and the 1980's.
          “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Are any of you actually unemployed? Seriously. Both my wife and I are. Well I earn a few hundred a month but that's self employment. Glad I have my parents.
            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
              Uh, this is a video from March, 2008, over two years ago. It describes the plight of the SUB-prime homeowners that could no more afford an expensive CA home than a 48" HD TV. And they knew it when they signed the liars contract that never confirmed their income. The fact is, Americans who never earned enough to live like Kings are just going to have to live within their social class and income in the future, eg. Renters and Cash only. You know, exactly how it was in the 1930's, the 1940's, the 1950's, the 1960's, the 1970's, and the 1980's.
              Well, complain to HHM that I am a "conspiracy theorist" and ask to ban me then if you don't like the BBC video that I posted or feel that it is relevant. There are unemployed people here in Georgia right now, and they are living in tent cities in Georgia. So I happen to believe that the BBC piece is still relevent. Opinions are like elbows, everyone has two.

And if you watch it, you will see that some of those are underemployed or unemployed.

I posted the video because of this piece:

Tent Slums Spring Up in America

By Jeffrey Feldman

March 30, 2010 --- Concentrations of homeless people are nothing new in America, but recent BBC and Los Angeles Times reports depict a rising trend of shanty slums, such as a "city" of newly homeless people living in tents near the Ontario airport in Los Angeles.

If you recall your Steinbeck, the residents of the 20c Hoovervilles were largely tenant farmers thrown off their farms by the owners, who in turn tried mechanized farming to bring down costs and break even. These displaced farmers migrated West where they became agricultural day laborers and settled into shanty camps.

The California tent slum depicted in the BBC report is quite different, because they are not migrant workers, so much as locals who have lost their homes. It is hard to tell if the newly dispossessed are all the victims of the subprime market. More likely, the tent slum population is a mix of new and old homelessness -- perhaps with a few migrant workers in the mix.

I do not know if there is a technical point at which a tent city becomes a slum -- a boundary of some sort that gets crossed in terms of population density or length of time in existence or total acreage. But the Los Angeles Times reports that the police are handing out wrist bands to make sure that only locals take up residence in the tent camp by the airport. Non locals have to get out. Passing out armbands to make sure only locals get into the camp has to be crossing a boundary of some kind. And it is not a good one to cross.

Whatever the actual demographics, the images and the stories are heartbreaking. If ever there was a reason to let go of market orthodoxy, and to re-embrace the American spirit of making things better by the most pragmatic means possible -- this is it. Make it work better, period. No ideology; no grand theories about freedom from government; just come together to help people before we lose a generation to this mounting economic tragedy.

Comment

My only point was that the video was two years old, and the actual title of the You Tube video was this:
                "March 14, 2008 — Tent cities have sprung up outside Los Angeles as people lose their homes in the mortgage crisis."

Also the article you showed as 2010 was copied from a March 2009 article: http://jeffrey-feldman.typepad.com/f...n-america.html And that used a video from 2008. Basically, what does a video showing an LA 2008 tent city have to do with recent unemployment numbers?

This video has shown up here before, since it is so old. Most of the people at the tent city had lost their homes at a time when subprime mortgage holders were getting hit. The subprime crisis is about over as there are few subprime mortgages left that have not already foreclosed. It has now spread to higher income owners of course and the ARM resets are yet to peak.

As far as tent cities - sure they are everywhere. We have at least 100 of them in Oregon. Food stamp recipients have tripled in the last 3 years here. Times are tough for many - it's a recession - hardly new news.
                Last edited by WhatMoney; 04-03-2010, 05:07 AM.
                “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

The video maybe 2 years old but I will assume that the problem is much worse today.

The only way for the poor folks at the tent cities to earn a living today is to apply for one of the temp census jobs or head on a boat to China.

Maybe China will have it's own Statue in it's harbor to greet all of us when we head there.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Increasing number of unemployment rate is really shocking but in my opinion, If you will never stop looking for work whether recession or not you will definitely get a good job .

Comment

The Obama Economy Performance in Charts

The Obama Economy Performance in Charts

Job Growth - Red=Bush, Blue=Obama

NASDAQ Composite since Obama Inauguration, +92.6% Gain low to high, +67% Gain since Jan. 20, Inauguration Day.
                      Democrats are bad for the stock market?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...10_electi.html

Comment

Pretty UK 21-yr-old Suicides After 200 Job Rejections

I just saw this...

Job seeker, 21, with 3 A-levels and 10 GCSEs, kills herself after she was rejected for 200 jobs
                        A day after her latest rejection, and on the eve of her fortnightly trip to sign on, Vicky Harrison wrote heartbreaking notes to her parents and boyfriend saying 'I don't want to be me any more' and took a huge drug overdose.

Please don't attack this poor girl or say she was mentally ill...the truth is that the global elite want a system of the haves and have nots, and no middle class.

It's so easy to get sad and depressed and...what a mess...goodness gracious...

--Gerry Spence

And:

We need to come together in mutual support, love, kindness and empathy. We need to put aside the manufactured fault-lines that divide us - religion, politics, race, culture and income bracket. That is not to say people have to reject their beliefs, just don't let them be weapons of division.

We are all in this together and we need to meet the challenge together, not steal from each other, loot or riot, or look the other way because something happening to someone else is 'not my problem'. They are not seeking to enslave Muslims, Jews, black people, or white middle class Americans and so on. They are seeking to do it to all of us and they are picking off different groups one by one, just like the Nazis did in Germany. Remember these famous words because they are so applicable now:

First they came for the Jews and I was not a Jew so I did nothing.

Then they came for the communists and I was not a communist so I did nothing.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I was not a trade unionist so I did nothing.

Then they came for me and there was no-one left to speak out for me.

Let us unite behind that which affects everyone - the loss of our most basic freedoms. And if this is being planned now, what kind of world are our children and grandchildren going to live in? Can you live with that thought while doing nothing or rioting as the authorities want? I can't.

We need to start getting organised in communities and groups to support each other and stop cooperating with the system - not to fight it. The system can only exist with our cooperation and acquiesce. We are holding it together. They have their men and women of violence, called the military and 'Swat' teams, to deal with violent resistance.

But their worst nightmare is our non-cooperation - the refusal to pay taxes; refusal to leave homes when banks foreclose on them; refusal to 'comply' with our own enslavement in any form. The system couldn't cope if this was done on a mass scale. And that's the point: to do this we need to do it en-masse and those not immediately affected need to support those who are.

Instead of compliance, we need the non-comply-dance of people who beat to a different drum and will not comply with what is unfair, unjust, or targets their freedom and the freedom of others. This approach does not refuse to comply in a spirit of hostility, rage or violence, but with love, joy and laughter - and an unbreakable determination not to cooperate with their own enslavement.
                        --David Icke

-JJ Luna

Ed Romney says don't forget McDonalds too.

Comment

200 interviews? I'd be suicidal too. I've been to alot of interviews and starting to think that nobody wants me. Although I did read some where that during a recession the average interview before finding a job is 17. In good times it's 6. So I'm getting there!!! woohoo!! 13 more to go!

I'd work at mcdonalds but that would give me no time to talk to recruiters and go on interviews with short notice. I can make the same amount doing pc repair work here and there.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post these links, but since I am not in the news section, I don't see why not...

Pink slips were sent out to 22,000 teachers in California, 17,000 in
                            Illinois, and 15,000 in New York. The jobs of 8,000 school employees
                            in Michigan, 6,000 in New Jersey, and 5,000 in Oklahoma may also be
                            axed.
                            And in Cobb County:
                            The cuts include 579 teaching and 56 para-professional positions
                            I was an economics teacher for 5 weeks...it was so bad that I broke my contract...

Overrated Career: Teacher
                            When you're not really getting summers off, what's the point?
                            The Appeal: Helping the next generation flower sounds like a great vocation. Plus, you get summers off. Teachers have good job security, too, with benefits that are often more generous than those in the private sector. And...you get summers off. If you stick with the career, salaries can approach six figures (in many metropolitan areas). And did we mention you get summers off?
                            Click here to find out more!

The Reality: In many public elementary schools, classes are grouped at random, which means one class can include special ed students, gifted kids, and foreign-born children who speak little English. Trying to meet all of their needs can be exhausting, if not impossible. Government rules often put pressure on instructors to teach all students high-level material, even if it's over their heads. And summers aren't sacrosanct: Increasingly, teachers are required to work, or "volunteer," for part of the summer.

The Alternatives: Teach at schools where classes are grouped by ability, or at a private school that focuses on students of a particular ability level. Or, be a corporate trainer or instructor, teaching adults English as a second language. You may be particularly marketable if you're skilled in conducting training online. Tutoring can be a particularly rewarding option. Most students learn much better one on one, and you don't have the discipline and organizational problems that come from teaching a class full of students. Many parents hire tutors, who make in-home visits and/or work by E-mail and phone, often charging $50 plus per hour. Or, if you're not much for soliciting business, you can tutor for an entity such as tutor.com, Tutoring Club, Score/Kaplan, Sylvan, Kumon, Huntington, or Princeton Review.

Overrated Career: Teacher

Layoff Notices Sent to Thousands of US Teachers
                            The mass layoff of teachers: The same devastating scenario is taking place in large and small communities around the country.

Cobb schools cut 734 jobs

Comment

Yeah and they said there was a shortage of teachers. Not any more.... I say go back to school and move into healthcare. Obama care will need all the help.

Comment

I say go back to school and move into healthcare.
                                --nc73

From Yahoo News and BNET Today (Excerpted and combined)

An out of work engineer emailed me recently and wrote that he wished that he would have become an apprentice plumber or electrician, then after 5 years he would have obtained his contractor's license and started his own company.

Hundreds Camp Out For Job Opps In Queens

Excerpt:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X