No announcement yet.

Unemployment Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's just horrible...camping out for a job. Hey I'm trying to get my wife into the healthcare industry!
    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

This puts an interesting view on it:

Your trusted source for breaking news, analysis, exclusive interviews, headlines, and videos at ABCNews.com

Comment

Despite all the dated doomsday posts in this topic, the present facts are that jobs continue to increase.

Nonfarm payrolls increased by 290,000 jobs in April, its largest monthly gain since March 2006, handily beating expectations of an 187,000 increase.
        More importantly, private payrolls, which exclude the influx of temporary government census workers, rose by 231,000 and were well above the consensus estimate of an 87,000 increase. The Republicans are crying and negative over this good news, as usual. Their plan to destroy the economy and blame it on Obama in order to get re-elected is hitting a few speed bumps.

Last edited by WhatMoney; 05-07-2010, 09:22 PM.
        “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

WhatMoney, you seem determined to prove that unemployment is not a real issue. Are you, or is anyone close to you unemployed? I doubt it. My husband lost his job in March. Unemployment benefits were a real eye opener. I am very thankful to get them, but I had no idea that the payments would be that much lower than his old income. I have applied everywhere I can for part time work. Even Walmart is not hiring.
          As for your "PRESENT FACTS", please shove them up your rear, because I'm not buying it. I don't believe for a second that anything to do with unemployment is "good news" right now. You can post all the pretty little charts you want, and the situation remains the same. Look around you and actually open your eyes, we are in trouble here.

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
            WhatMoney, you seem determined to prove that unemployment is not a real issue. Are you, or is anyone close to you unemployed? I doubt it. My husband lost his job in March. Unemployment benefits were a real eye opener. I am very thankful to get them, but I had no idea that the payments would be that much lower than his old income. I have applied everywhere I can for part time work. Even Walmart is not hiring.
            As for your "PRESENT FACTS", please shove them up your rear, because I'm not buying it. I don't believe for a second that anything to do with unemployment is "good news" right now. You can post all the pretty little charts you want, and the situation remains the same. Look around you and actually open your eyes, we are in trouble here.
            ..or better yet, perhaps he can visit Michigan or one of the other "close to 20%" unemployment states.
            Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
            I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

LOL - It's not my chart - it is from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics - and those non-partisan bureaucrats have been measuring unemployment and job growth (and much more) for the last 60 years. The chart represents NATIONAL numbers and trends. Just because there is no job growth in Louisiana or Michigan does not mean there are not more jobs available in other states. I know many, including myself, that moved to another state because that was where the jobs were.

This thread is full of unemployed who are convinced the world is crashing in on them and it will only get worse. I am just providing some reality as to the present situation - you would think improving jobs numbers would be welcomed by the unemployed. If the jobs situation turns back down I'll post that too. I do not control the numbers.

And as I said several months ago, I'll continue posting the monthly employment statistics here when the BLS releases them. If an improving US economy makes you mad I am sorry, but it's not my fault.

Btw, the DJIA was up +405 points today... the world is ending.
              “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
                The DJIA is useless as a barometer of economic health. Don't be confused by stock price and company value. If you look at the stock market during the Great Depression you'll see that the market was soaring after the first bump, when everyone thought the worst was behind us.
                Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

So where are the new jobs?
                  From the April BLS report:
                  Nonfarm payroll employment rose by 290,000 in April, the unemployment rate edged up to 9.9 percent, and the labor force increased sharply, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in manufacturing, professional and business services, health care, and leisure and hospitality. Federal government employment also rose, reflecting continued hiring of temporary workers for Census 2010.
                  http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

For lookingforward, here are the Louisiana employment numbers and where the new jobs are, by business sector. Note education and health care employment continues to grow and is the only sector higher than pre-Katrina levels.

Professional and Business Services

Education and Health Services

Leisure and Hospitality

Government

Total Nonfarm

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
                    The DJIA is useless as a barometer of economic health. Don't be confused by stock price and company value. If you look at the stock market during the Great Depression you'll see that the market was soaring after the first bump, when everyone thought the worst was behind us.
                    Wrong - the stock market indices (not just the Dow) are leading indicators of the economy. The markets have been going up since March 2009, correctly predicting the end of the recession and economic recovery that is now starting.

Unemployment is the most lagging of indicators. By the time employment peaks for this cycle the economy will be headed for another recession.

I know you are in the double dip - the world is ending crowd. After a prolonged recession this is the normal consensus - but the consensus is usually wrong. Most of the economic data today is showing a V shaped recovery - exactly what none of the dooms-sayers predicted.

You may get your double dip in a few years, but no one can predict the future - and wishful thinking has never worked.

Comment

LOL - It's not my chart - it is from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics - and those non-partisan bureaucrats have been measuring unemployment and job growth (and much more) for the last 60 years. The chart represents NATIONAL numbers and trends. Just because there is no job growth in Louisiana or Michigan does not mean there are not more jobs available in other states. I know many, including myself, that moved to another state because that was where the jobs were.

This thread is full of unemployed who are convinced the world is crashing in on them and it will only get worse. I am just providing some reality as to the present situation - you would think improving jobs numbers would be welcomed by the unemployed. If the jobs situation turns back down I'll post that too. I do not control the numbers.

And as I said several months ago, I'll continue posting the monthly employment statistics here when the BLS releases them. If an improving US economy makes you mad I am sorry, but it's not my fault.

So now its the unemployed's fault that they did not move to another state to find a job. Again, I ask you if you are unemployed or do you have someone close to you who is? I think not, your attitute speaks for itself. And for the unemployed, you pompous idiot, the world IS crashing in on them and it IS getting worse. Your "reality" is a pile of horsecrap. And your "improving job numbers" would be welcome by the unemployed if it affected them one iota. Just because the government is pushing out nice pretty little graphs for mind dead idiots like you, does not mean that the numbers are going to help anyone. Will that pretty chart put food on the table? Will Obama telling you that unemployment numbers are better pay the electric bill? And an improving economy would not "make me mad". Apparently, you are drinking all the koolaid. How dare you talk about people who have lost their jobs as though they are some stupid lower class than you. You are a moron.

Comment

Wrong - the stock market indices (not just the Dow) are leading indicators of the economy. The markets have been going up since March 2009, correctly predicting the end of the recession and economic recovery that is now starting.

Unemployment is the most lagging of indicators. By the time employment peaks for this cycle the economy will be headed for another recession.

I know you are in the double dip - the world is ending crowd. After a prolonged recession this is the normal consensus - but the consensus is usually wrong. Most of the economic data today is showing a V shaped recovery - exactly what none of the dooms-sayers predicted.

You may get your double dip in a few years, but no one can predict the future - and wishful thinking has never worked.
                        Actually I hope you are right and that the worst is behind us (but I suspect you are the one engaging in wishful thinking ). Unfortunately I see the problem with the debt bomb our government has created. Moody's is predicting that US debt service will hit 22% of GDP by 2013. No one knows exactly when the credit limit will be reached and the borrowing spigot turned off, but ask anyone on this forum how long you can keep increasing your debt service before you collapse.
                        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

I can say I lost my nice salary position a year and a half ago. I was making over 60K per year and when the economy tanked the company I was with closed. I was already back in school full-time, while I was working this salaried job. I took many of the classes online, which helped out.

I had no job offers in the field I was in and finally found a job in Feb of 09 making 7.25 an hour. Now that was reality in my home town. The high paying jobs just do not exist and have not for a long time. I am still making 7.5 per hour. I had a job interview with a company that wanted me to work 80 hours per week for 25K per year. I have a little less than 2 years to finish my degree so honestly I think I will keep my sanity and not work 80 hours per week.

I have continued to look and have found nothing. The companies want candidates to have BA or higher in almost every job out there. I was in a profession where I had years of experience, but that really does not matter now days.

I think the issue is some places are hiring, but you have to look great on paper to even get in the door. Volkswagen is opening in my area this year and there are many jobs, but you have to go back to school to be recertified in anything. My husband tried to get a job there and needless to say we are still waiting to hear back.
                          Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                          341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                          Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

So now its the unemployed's fault that they did not move to another state to find a job. Again, I ask you if you are unemployed or do you have someone close to you who is? I think not, your attitute speaks for itself. And for the unemployed, you pompous idiot, the world IS crashing in on them and it IS getting worse. Your "reality" is a pile of horsecrap. And your "improving job numbers" would be welcome by the unemployed if it affected them one iota. Just because the government is pushing out nice pretty little graphs for mind dead idiots like you, does not mean that the numbers are going to help anyone. Will that pretty chart put food on the table? Will Obama telling you that unemployment numbers are better pay the electric bill? And an improving economy would not "make me mad". Apparently, you are drinking all the koolaid. How dare you talk about people who have lost their jobs as though they are some stupid lower class than you. You are a moron.
                            You know nothing about me - so the personal attacks and name calling do not help your case. You might want to try posting within the rules of the forum. Civil discussion, as I try to do, not name calling and crazy rants against the government.

You are too angry to discuss anything here, and your attempt to misquote and mis-characterize what I have said is not working. And yes, I have been unemployed too - why do you think I found the BK forum 5 years ago?

Comment

LOL -

If we had self sustaining job and wage growth I too would be cheerleading as you are.

We have a stimulas based recovery and when the stimulas ends so does the so called job recovery. A lot of these newly created jobs are census workers. How is this good for anyone in the long term? They will get the boot by labor day.

Innovative small businesses are what creates most of the jobs and products we all love and they are a dying breed. The dems and repubs have been killing them for the longest time and this criminal gang in control now is driving the last nail in the coffin.
                              Last edited by banca rotta; 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM.
                              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

While I cannot prove my theory I am convinced the stock market is rigged.

As for predicting the future the coming crash is very predictable. If you feel otherwise then you need to explain why it won't crash.

The total in US debt and now with the ECB bailouts is just too much and anyone with half a brain knows it can never be paid back.

You will see in our lifetime either a massive default followed by depression or hyperinflation from all the printing.

I have no idea what will be in between. Please let me know what you think will happen and how this will be paid down.

Continuously Updated US National Debt Clock Real Time US Debt Clock, Mortgage Calculator, Loan Calculator
                                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X