top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperventilating - Just found out I might lose my job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperventilating - Just found out I might lose my job!

We turned all of our paperwork in to our attorney yesterday for our BK case. My husband has been out of work for over a year and is coming to the end of his unemployment compensation in a couple of months. Now I just found out today that I might lose my job! I will know within the next week and it would be effective immediately! I have always been the primary wage-earner in our household and I know unemployment wouldn't even make a dent compared to what I make now. My husband has sent hundreds of resumes and hasn't even had a single interview. My field is very specialized and there is literally nothing available right now. I just don't have any idea how we would survive.

I am trying to hold it together, since I still have to finish work today, but I am seriously freaking out!!!
    Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Sorry to hear about the potential of you losing your job - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Filed Ch 7 Sept '10, 341 Meeting Oct '10, Discharged Dec '10, Case Closed Jan '11

EQ 2/8/11 - 584, 6/2/11 - 677

Comment

I'm not much of a churchgoer, but I've said a little prayer for you, Dee. Start looking for a job now - 2 jobs, if you have to. Don't be proud, either. If you have to work at McDonald's, then such is life. At least it's not concrete that you'll lose your job, so there's hope. Good luck.
      Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

It is very hard to adjust when you lose your job. I haven't worked for over a year and finally am starting a temporary 2-3 month position with the city. What I did was to immediately stock up on all paper products, canned goods and pasta/rice mixes when they were on sale while I had compensation from work.

My new position was posted through the work force center web site. Yes, it's only temp now but could lead to something. If not, at least it's some money for awhile.

I also went to the workshops and learned how to 'dummy down' my resume. I have 3 I use but that one just has the specifics and it is the one that got me the job.

Hoping the best for you and your family. Unemployment is tough and I had to learn how to cut down on a lot of things. I'm still amazed it took me a year before I finally realized I had to file for bk.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I've been sitting here trying not to cry. I never thought about stocking up on things we would need while I have income coming in - think I will be making a trip to Sam's and Walmart. I hate for anyone here to lose their jobs and I hear the hammer is going to come down pretty hard - but I just can't imagine my husband and I out of work at the same time. I'm saying extra prayers.
          Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

I'm so sorry. I'm sending a lot of hugs and prayers your way.

Comment

It was hard for my group too. I worked at a foundation, which did not rely on grants and it was a shock to the 8 of us who were let go because they 'changed the mission' to keep their funds. More were let go after us. What started out as 40 people is now down to 20.

It will be hard. It took me a long time to apply for jobs that were 'beneath' my salary but now I apply for anything that pays more than what I get in unemployment. Actually, now I apply for anything that's even reasonable.

I used to just go buy things and never paid attention to whether it was on sale or not. Now I watch for them like a hawk. Especially TP and coffee! 2 things I can't live without. Keep in mind the dollar stores too, another place I never really paid attention to.

IF this is just a scare, you may want to think about getting your resume out there starting now. Just in case. Sure wish I had prior to them letting us all go. My prayers are with you too.

Comment

Dee, I feel for you. When I worked at BofA our department was a booming startup within the bank, we exceeded any and all revenue targets, went from 25 to 350 people in one year. Then the bank changed the direction of the department, to attempt to appeal our department to more clients..why I don't know, we already were one of the highest in profitability per associate, but the expanded focus failed miserably and 7 months later, all 350 of together were packing our stuff into boxes and vacating the building. My wife, at the time, was....you guessed it, unemployed. This was about a year and a half ago. I truly hope this doesn't happen to you or that somehow you survive the cuts!!
                Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

wow, i feel really bad for your situation and hope the best for you. our prayers are with you...

Comment

So sorry to hear this, been there and done that, and know how you're feeling. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Comment

I hope ch. 7 will help you out.
                      Filed Ch 7 8/12/10
                      341 Meeting 9/15/10
                      Discharged 11/15/10

Comment

Hang in there! I know it's hard. My spouse has been unemployed for 18 months, coming from a middle management position. Can't get a job dishing donuts at Krispy Kreme, much less another mid-management position.

It's not easy, which is why we're on this forum and filing next week, I hope.

We're all here to support each other, so hang in there!

Comment

Update!

I get to keep my job!

I feel terrible knowing other coworkers will be cut, but am definitely breathing a lot easier now. Thanks for the support this week - it has really helped!

Comment

Good news for you
                            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Congrats, Dee! I am glad you get to keep your job. I was laid off a year ago, but thankfully, my husband has a job with stability. We are struggling, but I have taken this opportunity to go back to school because there just isn't anything out there.
                              Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X