Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Benefits on Prepaid Cards an Expensive Option for Jobless

June 6, 2011

For the unemployed, prepaid unemployment cards could actually be doing more harm than good according to a new report from the National Consumer Law Center.

Prepaid cards loaded with unemployment benefits can force those holding them to shell out as much as $20 in fees per transaction the organization’s report, “Unemployment Compensation Prepaid Cards” indicated. The report’s aim is to embolden state governments to reduce the number of fees the unemployed pay on their benefits, offer direct deposit options and, in the case of states without prepaid card programs, issue public comment requests for proposals.

The NCLC’s report showed that 22 of the 40 states that issue prepaid cards for unemployment benefits charged at-network ATMs fees while all charge fees at out-of-network ATM machines in addition to any surcharges. The most fees charged by government-issued prepaid cards took the form of overdraft card, according to the report, with five states issuing fees of between $10 to $20 in such fees.

The states with the best unemployment prepaid card services were California and New Jersey, which both issued Bank of America cards. The worst state according to NCLC’s study were Arkansas, Idaho, Nebraska, Ohio and Oregon, which all use U.S. Bank-issued cards. The full list is available at the NCLC’s official website, along with study results and recommendations.

Government Lean on Prepaid Cards As Means of Reducing Spending:

This past January, the U.S. Treasury Department announced its own plans to pilot prepaid cards as a way for both taxpayers to receive their refunds. The pilot program included 60,000 individuals but is aimed at 1.7 million workers that receive payroll cards across the nation.

While the NCLC’s report indicated that prepaid cards offer numerous perks like greater security since large amounts of cash doesn’t need to be carried, and the ability to make traditional debit card payments with ease, it also refuted previous research that’s said prepaid cards offer little if any advantage over traditional bank accounts.

“Prepaid cards can help states eliminate the costs of paper checks and help unbanked workers avoid check cashing fees and the risks of carrying cash,” said NCLC managing attorney Lauren Saunders in a statement. “Yet prepaid card junk fees stack the deck against jobless Americans who need every dollar during a financially stressful time.”

A study of prepaid card released earlier this year showed that prepaid cards users could save as much as $141.65 annually in fees in comparison to those with traditional checking accounts.

Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

And states get hefty "rebates" from these banks...

Comment

The card actually worked well for me in the transition period from deciding on bk, hiring a lawyer and the 341. Once the 341 was done, I then went on to have my checks sent to the new bank I chose but - I have 2 'free' atms close to my house so I could take out the money with the card with no charge. The only problem I encountered was the gas station added an additional $80 until the charge cleared. THAT was scary and I started paying cash for gas until I set up the new bank account. I do feel sorry for people who aren't close to the actual bank the cards are drawn on but for those of us who live in a city, they do work.

Comment

In my experience as a bankruptcy lawyer, unemployment delays bankruptcy. People use the money to pay credit cards, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmead View Post
          In my experience as a bankruptcy lawyer, unemployment delays bankruptcy. People use the money to pay credit cards, etc.
          What money, in Florida the maximum amount you can get from unemployment is $275/week. That's barely enough to survive on when you have car payments, bills and rent. I will be homeless in another month if I don't find a job, can't rely on Unemployment.

Comment

Don't worry with patrickmead. He's been banned for giving bad info and other violations... This is also an old, stale thread.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Don't people realize that you can get cash back from grocery stores for no fee? Just pay for groceries using the card and ask for $40 cash back.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X