Florida increases exemptions in bankrupcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida increases exemptions in bankrupcy

The Florida legislature passed a law increasing the personal property exemption in bankruptcy. Under Florida Statute 222.25 as written Florida debtors can claim a $1,000 exemption for miscellaneous personal property. Most bankruptcy debtors have applied this exemption to furniture, cloths, cash and other personal property. Effective July 1, 2007, the exemption is increased to $4,000 for those debtors not claiming or benefitting from a homestead exemption. Many Florida debtors not exempting a homestead can use the increased general property exemption to protect equity in automobiles not otherwise protected by the $1,000 exemption specifically allowed for automobiles.

People who could benefit from the increased personal property exemption may want to defer bankruptcy filing until the July 1 effective date. The wording of the statute appears to leave open issues for further court interpretation, such as the meaning of benefits of homestead exemption. For instance, I wonder if a debtor with a homestead owned jointly with a non-debtor spouse qualifies for the $4,000 property exemption if he exempts the residence as tenants by entireties property instead of claiming the exemption under homestead protection. As is the case in all new statutes, judicial clarification will ensue.

by Jonathan Alper, asset protection and bankruptcy attorney, Orlando, Florida
    Last edited by mattson06; 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    CH. 7 Filed 4/4/07 done DISCHARGED AND CASE CLOSED 7/10/07 approved auto loan 3/082005 ford escape 14500
    all cc balances paid in full after transactions credit report disputes raised fico 25 points fico 8/07 448 fico 4/08 595

Has anyone used this lawyer or know anything about him?

Comment

Originally posted by storesstores View Post
      Has anyone used this lawyer or know anything about him?
      have you heard anything back about this guy?

Comment

That's the lawyer that i am using, so far so good, i should get papers back for my review next week, taking almost a month to prepare the papers
        09/20/07 - Filed Ch 7
        10/24/07 - 341 meeting
        01/11/08 - Discharged :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
        01/25/08 - CASE CLOSED - :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by havetodecide View Post
          That's the lawyer that i am using, so far so good, i should get papers back for my review next week, taking almost a month to prepare the papers
          I spoke with him on the phone, and he didn't seem very friendly.

How indepth was your case? And does it seem like he's fighting for you, or just filing your papers?
          NotFun
          Filed: 10/31/2007
          341: 12/05/2007
          Last day for objections: 02/05/2008

Comment

I haven't filed yet but so far so good. He returns my calls even when he's out of town and paralegal responds to emails promptly...It's taking now more than 30 days to prepare papers and paralegal said there's nothing they can do since they have other clients before me. I only have one asset, a car paid for, that i am planning to keep. I guess you're right, he does not seem very friendly to me either, i hope my case does not get complicated.
            09/20/07 - Filed Ch 7
            10/24/07 - 341 meeting
            01/11/08 - Discharged :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
            01/25/08 - CASE CLOSED - :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

Does anyone have any knowledge about this law? We own our home in Florida, but plan on surrendering when we file. Will we get the $4000 or $1000 a piece in exemptions? We would not be claiming the homestead exemption. Thanks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X