Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citigroup posts $9.83 billion loss

Citigroup posts $9.83 billion loss Tue Jan 15, 7:35 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Citigroup Inc (C.N) on Tuesday said it is raising at least $14.5 billion and cutting its quarterly dividend 41 percent to help shore up a capital base depleted by losses on subprime mortgages and consumer credit.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bank also posted its first quarterly loss since its creation in 1998, hurt by $18.1 billion of write-downs for exposure to subprime debt. It also said U.S. credit losses increased $4.1 billion, largely because more consumers are falling behind on payments.

The net loss for the largest U.S. bank totaled $9.83 billion, or $1.99 per share, roughly twice as large as analysts expected.

Citigroup said it is raising $12.5 billion from a private sale of convertible preferred securities.

It said this includes $6.88 billion from a fund affiliated with Singapore's government. The bank also said it includes investments from the Kuwait Investment Authority, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the asset management firm Capital Research & Management, the state of New Jersey, and former Citigroup Chief Executive Sanford "Sandy" Weill.

Citigroup also plans to sell $2 billion of convertible preferred securities to other investors, and sell additional preferred securities.

"We are taking comprehensive action to position Citi for the future with the capital strength that will allow us to refocus on earnings and earnings growth," Vikram Pandit, who became chief executive in December, said in a statement.

Citigroup said that if it completes the private offering and its planned purchase of Japanese brokerage Nikko Cordial Corp (8603.T), its Tier-1 capital ratio would be about 8.2 percent, above its target. The capital ratio measures the bank's ability to cover losses.

"What Pandit's doing here is setting the table for 2008," said William Smith, chief executive of Smith Asset Management in New York. "The investment from Sandy Weill is a huge vote of confidence on his part. I'm surprised to see his name there."

Citigroup reduced its quarterly dividend to 32 cents per share from 54 cents, which could save more than $4 billion a year.

Citigroup shares closed Monday at $29.06 on the New York Stock Exchange. The shares have fallen 47 percent in the last year, compared with a 28 percent drop in the Philadelphia KBW Bank Index (.BKX).

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel ; Editing by Derek Caney)
    11/13/07 - Filed Chapter 7
    12/13/07 - 341 Meeting
    02/12/08 - Discharged
    02/15/08 - Case closed

I'll have to admit that part of that nearly $10 billion loss was from me, probably $15-20K between Citibank and AT&T Universal card.
    11/13/07 - Filed Chapter 7
    12/13/07 - 341 Meeting
    02/12/08 - Discharged
    02/15/08 - Case closed

Comment

45k from me.
      Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
      Discharged - 2/29/08
      Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
      Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

Evrybody losses... from that giant guy to big guy to small guy to little guy... to a tiny guy!

Comment

Yeh some of that's from me too.
          Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
          341 Meeting July 19, 2007
          Discharged September 17, 2007
          Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Almost 25k from me-3 years ago
            sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Count me in!!!
              Filed Ch 7 2/21/08
              Discharged 6/5/08!!!!

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

I'll be adding 6000 more to thier loss.

Comment

Bad thing about this situation is that the US Govt. is now allowing this company to sell its self to the Middle East!! Isnt that great!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxedOut View Post
                    I'll be adding 6000 more to thier loss.
                    Why the sad face. Those loansharks/crooks deserve to get burned.

Comment

haha.. I love these responses.... to funny..
                      NotFun
                      Filed: 10/31/2007
                      341: 12/05/2007
                      Last day for objections: 02/05/2008

Comment

Gee, I could only wish they would have to pay 32% interest on their "loss".

Comment

I contributed $19000 to that amount. Sorry Citibank

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
                            Why the sad face. Those loansharks/crooks deserve to get burned.
                            Sorry but that sad face is me feeling sorry for myself because Citi was the first one to rate jack me.

I guess I should have added that.

Comment

hmmmmm..........I use to work for Citibank. I guess that I can kiss my retirement with them good-bye.
                              sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X