Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom forced to live in car with dogs

[/QUOTE]

Barbara Harvey climbs into the back of her small Honda sport utility vehicle and snuggles with her two golden retrievers, her head nestled on a pillow propped against the driver's seat.

By Thelma Gutierrez and Wayne Drash
    CNN

Damn.

I moved from Santa Barbara nine years ago after living there for 17 years and can tell you how expensive it is to live there. When I first moved there in 1980 I was able to share a two bedroom apartment with one other person for 410 a month. When I left I was renting a room (and did not have access to the house) for 600 bucks a month which did not even have heat. And I was damn lucky to have that. Rents were outrageous at that time. I can't imagine the cost of living there now.

My heart goes out to those that are homeless as a result of this recession which is rapidly getting worse.

ep
    California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Wonder where they go to bathe and get dressed or undressed?

Comment

They had this story on the news here the other day.

It is sad, but she needs to stop being proud and let her children help her. I would rather my children help me than to live in my car in a parking lot.

SB is gorgeous, I love going there. I think where I live at is almost as expensive as there. The min for a house(small)here is 1 mil easy.
        Last edited by Cali; 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM.

Comment

If this woman is essentially working a minimum wage job and collecting Social Security for her income, I don't understand why she wouldn't move somewhere that has a much lower cost of living where $8 an hour plus SS benefits might allow her to get a cheap apartment. That's what i'd do, I'd move somewhere in the midwest where it's cheap to live because $8 an hour jobs can be had anywhere, you don't need to live in Santa Barbara.
          Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
          Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

PS, I live in Ohio, where my 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 1800 sq ft house cost $75,500 4 years ago, and my sister-in-law manages to live in an apartment with $650 a month SSI income (rent on a 2-bedroom apt is ~300, gets help with utilities from HEAP and foodstamps, but still isn't homeless despite very meager circumstances, doesn't even have to have a roommate.) My step-daughter also manages to pay rent on an apartment nearby making $8.50 an hour. While both of them are living month-to-month with little $ to spare, they are able to live on the kind of money this woman gets, just wouldn't be able to live on a coast.
            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
              PS, I live in Ohio, where my 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 1800 sq ft house cost $75,500 4 years ago, and my sister-in-law manages to live in an apartment with $650 a month SSI income (rent on a 2-bedroom apt is ~300, gets help with utilities from HEAP and foodstamps, but still isn't homeless despite very meager circumstances, doesn't even have to have a roommate.) My step-daughter also manages to pay rent on an apartment nearby making $8.50 an hour. While both of them are living month-to-month with little $ to spare, they are able to live on the kind of money this woman gets, just wouldn't be able to live on a coast.
              I am seriously thinking about moving out of California.

ep
              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

After reading this thread, I feel fortunate with what I have. We are all here for the same reason. Each of us thinking we have it so bad. Those who overcame and start new but stay here to help us are truly Angels.

I feel we are heading for much worse times. The best book to read other than the Bible (or whatever your faith is) is the old fashioned Boy Scout handbook. Not todays modern version for wussy kids of today. If you move, go South. Land is cheap and you won't freeze. Buy with contract for deed you can at least dig a privy, bathe in a lake or river at night, and not worry about getting mugged or worse. Store canned food, but not all in one place. My grandfather told me of the great depression and it was not pleasant.

the problem with age is that many after 55 will not be candidates for a job anywhere. That is a problem. A tent is cheap and beats sleeping in a car.

I believe we on this forum are only the pioneers in the rush for bankruptcy. It is a gift of our great nation to give people a second chance.

I feel blessed after reading this thread at what I do have over what I lost. We were millionaires at one time and gave much to others. It does not work in the other direction at times, so self dependency and God is what I believe in. This forum has helped me and my wife very much in realization that things are only things and that happiness is a state of mind. You negotiate your mood daily. What does not kill you, will strengthen you. I read that here on this forum and it is true.

If we lose our bankruptcy we will refile. Nothing has changed, except we now have this forum and have learned our mistakes. They cannot take away what we do not have so if you are fortunate to have a life partner, you have everything. All else is junk, mostly made in China. Things mean nothing. Values mean everything.

Sorry about my rambling. This thread has touched me greatly. 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

There are may nice places for people to live at that get SSI and don't make much money.

And if it was that bad that I had to live in a car, I would move to a more affordable area.

Comment

Its heart wrenching stories that I often read about and say to myself, I don't have it THAT BAD ! I really feel for those people. Like the earthquake victims in 3rd world countries (like China), and even in our own country when people have lost their homes! I work for $17 and hour and I'm struggling to keep up car payment and rent besides daily living expenses. My heart goes out to those people! I wish the govt would/should do more for us/them in the state than run off like to IRAQ trying to rebuild etc. WTF.

Just my 2 cents, Catchmeifyoucan
                    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I am in Indiana and you can rent a nice 1 bedroom based on your income for probably a couple hundred a month. It seems this lady should consider moving to a cheaper place to live. I know it's easy to say, hard to do. My heart goes out to this woman and to all those in her position.

I am in total agreement with catchmeifyoucan, our government needs to worry more about this country and less about other countries, maybe at one time we could afford to share our wealth, but now that wealth needs to stay here and take care of our own. It seems like they have spent our wealth on all these other countries and now we don't have anything left to fix this mess we are all in!
                      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Why have we become such a "proud" nation hell bent on being completely self-sufficient at all costs? When times are hard, why dont we look to our friends and family to help us through? If this were my mother (sister, best friend, whoever), I would put her behind in my car and get her to my home. I may not have much- but a couch is better than a car!
                        Filed: 3/12/08
                        341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                        Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

I hate to say this after the diatribe I gave about this poor lady. There is something to be said for pride. I would do the same before moving in with my children. In fact, I told my wife if I ever became infirm, such as stroke or worse, I would rather be dead than be a nursing burden. Now there are food banks around and there are food stamps, SSI and Salvation Army. The problem is, if she has a car, can she afford gas to go anywhere? It is like a catch 22.

We actually tried to get food stamps. It was humiliating, yet between SS is a long time. We must have the Internet for any kind of consulting and banking I am able to do, so the food is second in importance. We were turned down, yet I have seen for years big ole’ fat ladies in line purchasing T bone steak and junk foods with food stamps while I had money but could afford hamburger. Now I need a bit of help from Gov. and forget it. I’m too wealthy since I have a car worth more than 1K. Doesn’t make sense to me. We have given away many dollars when we had them to others. Three people we actually supported in a building and paid the utilities. What did they all do? Purchase dope and when it got down to “clean up, or get out”, we were the bad guys.

We are so fortunate in that our home is paid for, albeit, needs much work since the hurricane of 2004 and my medical health. But it cannot be taken away. I get a stipend enough to pay taxes once a year and that is were it goes. But right now, we are fishing for our meal, but……….God blessed us with the river. So we cannot complain. My poor decisions put me here and nobody else did this to me. Now I am getting smarter. If I can get out of this hole just one time, I shall never purchase another thing on credit again. I will save a bit of money every chance I get for a fall back. I shall tithe to my God in the form of helping those people like that lady.

Now saying all the above, a bit of a story: A person we call “Patch” as he lost an eye, is a street person. Several of us offered to clean him up, and send him from Florida to his family in Indiana. He agreed. We gave him a motel to wash, new clothes, a train ticket, and money for meals as well as bagged food. Six months later, back here on the streets. Sometimes you just cannot help people. I’m a firm believer in teaching how to fish rather than give a fish. First though give the fish, then when the person is full, see if they are willing to learn to fish for themselves.

We are going to prevail and you folks will too. We are all in the same fix, but nothing is permanent. Every day, CHOOSE to be happy in any state you find yourself, as there is always someone worse off. Just my rambling opinion. ‘Hub.
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

If I had to pick between living in a car or living with a friend/family member, you better believe I would be with a friend/family member. Pride doesn't keep you warm at night or put food on your plate.
                            Last edited by Cali; 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM.

Comment

If you knew the people weren't using the money for something to better their lives, why did you give it to them?

And I've seen skinny women buying T bones and junk food with food stamps.

I personally, don't care what others are doing as long as I know I am doing what is right for me.

True our gov't does need to improve a lot of programs, but even with that I would still live here instead of most places in the world.

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                              I hate to say this after the diatribe I gave about this poor lady. There is something to be said for pride. I would do the same before moving in with my children. In fact, I told my wife if I ever became infirm, such as stroke or worse, I would rather be dead than be a nursing burden. Now there are food banks around and there are food stamps, SSI and Salvation Army. The problem is, if she has a car, can she afford gas to go anywhere? It is like a catch 22.

We actually tried to get food stamps. It was humiliating, yet between SS is a long time. We must have the Internet for any kind of consulting and banking I am able to do, so the food is second in importance. We were turned down, yet I have seen for years big ole’ fat ladies in line purchasing T bone steak and junk foods with food stamps while I had money but could afford hamburger. Now I need a bit of help from Gov. and forget it. I’m too wealthy since I have a car worth more than 1K. Doesn’t make sense to me. We have given away many dollars when we had them to others. Three people we actually supported in a building and paid the utilities. What did they all do? Purchase dope and when it got down to “clean up, or get out”, we were the bad guys.

We are so fortunate in that our home is paid for, albeit, needs much work since the hurricane of 2004 and my medical health. But it cannot be taken away. I get a stipend enough to pay taxes once a year and that is were it goes. But right now, we are fishing for our meal, but……….God blessed us with the river. So we cannot complain. My poor decisions put me here and nobody else did this to me. Now I am getting smarter. If I can get out of this hole just one time, I shall never purchase another thing on credit again. I will save a bit of money every chance I get for a fall back. I shall tithe to my God in the form of helping those people like that lady.

Now saying all the above, a bit of a story: A person we call “Patch” as he lost an eye, is a street person. Several of us offered to clean him up, and send him from Florida to his family in Indiana. He agreed. We gave him a motel to wash, new clothes, a train ticket, and money for meals as well as bagged food. Six months later, back here on the streets. Sometimes you just cannot help people. I’m a firm believer in teaching how to fish rather than give a fish. First though give the fish, then when the person is full, see if they are willing to learn to fish for themselves.

We are going to prevail and you folks will too. We are all in the same fix, but nothing is permanent. Every day, CHOOSE to be happy in any state you find yourself, as there is always someone worse off. Just my rambling opinion. ‘Hub.
                              Last edited by Cali; 05-26-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X