X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy judge: Victim must pay back thief

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26835746/

I CAN'T STAND IT.....
    And, lets make more BK laws not enforce the criminal ones!
    Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
    341 Oct 8 2008
    Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

Well I feel for the victim of the theft.

However this is something that is used often, it appears he failed to appear in court and thus the judge issued a default judgment finding for the plaintiff.

We all know that according to the BK laws, so long as you sent it to their valid address on record, even if they failed to sign up for postal forwarding that they are still part of the bankruptcy and thus the debt is still dischargeable.

I feel for the guy but anytime you are suppose to be in court you need to be there. I doubt he could get it overturned.
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I think we are missing something here. Criminal restitution and other debts from embezzlement, larceny or breach of trust are not dischargeable and must be paid regardless.

I guess it's the not showing up in court and violating the stay is why this judge ruled this way.

I'm sure congress will be up bright and early to fix this part of the law.
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

I do believe him not showing up in court is probably the reason the judge ruled against him.

It is a bit of a harsh punishment. Getting it reversed though will not be easy if possible
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X