X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Money - Beware impostor offers of free credit report

Sandra Block, USA TODAY
    Wed Aug 24,10:06 AM ET

Monitoring your credit reports is one of the most effective ways to protect yourself from criminals who want to shoplift your identity. And starting Sept. 1, everyone in the USA will be eligible to order a free credit report from the three major credit-reporting agencies.

But be careful. The Internet is littered with promotions for "free" credit reports, and many are back-door efforts to sell credit-monitoring services and other products, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

Last week, Experian, one of the three major credit-reporting agencies, agreed to pay $950,000 to settle charges that it deceived consumers into signing up for its credit-monitoring service by offering free credit reports. The FTC said Experian's Internet sites, www.freecreditreport.com and www.consumerinfo.com, failed to adequately disclose that consumers who ordered their credit reports would automatically be charged $79.95.

The FTC also alleged that Experian sought to associate its Internet sites with the government-mandated free credit-report program. The Internet site for that program, which has been phased in across the country since December 2004, is www.annualcreditreport.com. Experian disputes that charge.

Experian has improved disclosures on its Web sites. Now, consumers who click on to the sites will see a box on the first page advising them that when they order their free credit report, they'll be signed up for the credit-monitoring service.

Experian also agreed to provide refunds to some customers. Consumers who enrolled in the credit-monitoring service from 2000 to 2003, canceled the service and disputed the charges may be eligible. If you believe you qualify for a refund and want more information, go to www.ftc.gov/freereportswww.ftc.gov. When you go to www.ftc.govwww.annualcreditreport.comwww.annualcreditreport.com, fill it out and send it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

Free credit reports were mandated by a federal law enacted in 2003. The program has been rolled out across the country since December, starting with the West Coast. East Coast residents will be eligible to order their free reports starting Sept. 1.

The law allows you to obtain one annual credit report from each of the credit-reporting agencies. You can order them all at once or stagger your requests so you can review a report every three months.

"This is an important right that American consumers have," Parnes says. "We want them to be very careful when they're exercising it."
    The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

HRx,
    Ned to keep this up front where newbies would be aware of it also.......

Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I'm glad I caught this!

You might want to move this over to the Ch. 7 & 13 forums. I was planning to go to the experian web site, but came back to the BK forum for more info after I was prompted to give credit card information. I don't check this particular forum very frequently, but I'm glad I looked here today! Thanks for the tips. I will definitely go right to the ftc site.

Concerned

Comment

What about my score?

I went to the FTC site, but it didn't show my score. How do I get that information as well?

Thanks,

concerned

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X