Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California will run out of cash in 14 days

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The state wallet is empty. The bank closed. Credit has dried up, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told lawmakers in a special Tuesday morning address at the Capitol.

“California’s day of reckoning is here,” he said. With no action, the state will run out of cash in 14 days. Three months after the state budget was approved, California faces a $24 billion deficit.

Schwarzenegger has already proposed massive cuts to education, health care and prisons. Now he’s looking for structural reform to make government more efficient and stretch taxpayer dollars.

He’s asked the State Board of Education, for example, to make textbooks available in digital formats — a move that could save millions.

In 2004, the governor talked about blowing up boxes and consolidating agencies, but the initiatives never gained traction.

They’re back.

Schwarzenegger is proposing once again to eliminate and consolidate more than a dozen state departments, boards and commissions. This includes the Waste Management Board, the Court Reporters Board, the Department of Boating and Waterways and the Inspection and Maintenance Review Committee.

Earlier this year, the state began consolidating information technology departments.

Now Schwarzenegger wants to consolidate departments that oversee financial institutions and merge tax collection operations. In July, state leaders will receive recommendations on how to modernize the tax code.

“This will be a tremendous opportunity to make our revenues more reliable and less volatile and help the state avoid the boom and bust budgets that have brought us here today,” Schwarzenegger told lawmakers.

It’s not going to happen in 14 days, he said. But it could happen before the Legislature adjourns for summer recess on July 17.

Kathy Robertson of the Sacramento Business Journal, an affiliated publication, compiled this report.

Pacific Business News (Honolulu)

I'd say the Federal Government is very close to the same problem.

Already we pay more in taxes than we did under King George III, and our politicians should be careful about raising any further taxes or we could end up with another Revolution perhaps even more bloody than the last.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Hope they cut my tax return from 2006 in the next 4 days... been waiting a LONG time for that one.
      12/05/08 - filed pro se
      01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
      04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
      6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I am sure the illegal aliens are still able to use government services for free and still able to do those jobs that we apparently will not do.
        My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
        posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

I have an Aunt who lives in CA. Long story, but didn't know her until 2000 when our (me & twin sister) birthmom found us. She gets 'Assistance' from the State up to 8 hours a day & she really does need it as she is in her early 80's.

But, she hires her daughters and granddaughters. When she gets mad at one, she 'fires them' and hires another daughter or granddaughter & the cycle repeats itself. The State is paying for all this.

I've been 'out of touch' with all the IRS laws, but I can recall you couldn't deduct 'assistance' if they were relatives. O, but wait, CA is paying for this

Nothing...I mean nothing even comes close to this Scenario in AR. I'm 100% disabled. I'm not entitled to any Arkansas programs, because DH makes too much money; but, he is way below the Median Income for AR bankruptcy.

O...I'm rambling on. So think I will just keep on rambling on down the road.

Luci

Comment

I understand Luci

That's why I'm against a federal bailout of CA and am very afraid they'll do it . I'm against them backing municiple or state bonds as well. In NC I don't have access to any of the perks that has bankrupted CA.

I still manage to work a low paying job without an ACL in my left knee and chronic back trouble. Takes me like 3 days to mow my 1/4 acre lawn and I've been remulching the landscaping for about 2 months so far and progress is slow, by end of summer I might be done.

That's what burns me up with the GM and Chrysler bailouts, I'm now subsidizing folks that make 10 times what I make. Its not fair there should never have been any bailouts.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
              I understand Luci

That's why I'm against a federal bailout of CA and am very afraid they'll do it . I'm against them backing municiple or state bonds as well. In NC I don't have access to any of the perks that has bankrupted CA.

I still manage to work a low paying job without an ACL in my left knee and chronic back trouble. Takes me like 3 days to mow my 1/4 acre lawn and I've been remulching the landscaping for about 2 months so far and progress is slow, by end of summer I might be done.

That's what burns me up with the GM and Chrysler bailouts, I'm now subsidizing folks that make 10 times what I make. Its not fair there should never have been any bailouts.
              JR:

I remember you in the 'Political Discussion' I wholeheartedly Agree with your above post!

DH is an OTR Truck Driver earning .31 per practical mile from City to City. Spent 16 hrs. in line w/o sleep to get unloaded in Campti, LA last year. No pay for loading and unloading time.

He had 360 degree lower back surgery in 03, 2 stents in 05, 5 bypass surgery in 2/07 & pacemaker implant in 6/07 & nearly died this past April. Spent 1 week in hospital, 2 weeks off work. 1st week back to work, drove 3,500 miles.

Where's my Bailout???? No! No! Wait! I'm just Teasing. Every bailout comes with a Price Tag.

Do you think before it's all over with Federal Govmint (thanks Hub!) will have their 'Hand' in all aspects of our lives? It scares me.

Luci

Comment

I believe its their goal

Comment

The next logical question is, who owns the Federal Government? It sure isn't "We The People."

Comment

I live in Ca. my whole life and I can tell you I'm disgusted at the waste I see. the ilegal alien problem is beyond rational thought. they let them run across the border, drop a baby, and now the taxpayers are stuck. my wife has worked at the school district, and the majority of these kids get free lunch. the way they qualify is the parents work for cash, so no way to prove income. and the lack will to for these people to become educated has destroyed our school system. this state has disintegrated into a 3rd world toilet, and the governator and legislatures could care less.
                    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                      I live in Ca. my whole life and I can tell you I'm disgusted at the waste I see. the ilegal alien problem is beyond rational thought. they let them run across the border, drop a baby, and now the taxpayers are stuck. my wife has worked at the school district, and the majority of these kids get free lunch. the way they qualify is the parents work for cash, so no way to prove income. and the lack will to for these people to become educated has destroyed our school system. this state has disintegrated into a 3rd world toilet, and the governator and legislatures could care less.
                      You've got me Smiling again today! Love your choice of Words

Luci

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                        It is not as bad as you think it is. Almost 52% of the toilets still work and there still is toilet paper stocked in at least 43% of the toilets.
                        Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X