Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanta recognizes huge increase in charge offs

07/20/2009

Advanta Corp., embattled small-business lender and sponsor of the renowned World TeamTennis league (wtt.com [1]), has been winding down its credit card business over the past few weeks, another victim of the failed wholesale funding model. Today the company announced a dramatic increase in charge-offs on it's credit card lending book. The numbers are shockingly bad. As it happens, Advanta funded most of the credit card receivables it originated in the asset-backed securities market, via its Advanta Business Card Master Trust. Looking at the disclosed numbers behind the master trust we can get a sense for how their portfolio actually generated this kind of loss.

As a quick review, the profitability of a credit card operation is generally proxied by how much excess spread the operation generates. Roughly speaking, the excess spread calculation is:

Portfolio Yield - Base Rate - Charge-Offs = Excess Spread

Portfolio Yield is the APR plus any late fees, charges, interchange etc.. Base rate is approximately the cost of funding. All these components are in annualized form.

Looking at Advanta's remit data from this month, we see a few things happening from June 20 to July 20:

1) Portfolio Yield dropped from 22.50% to 16.16%
    2) 90+ delinquencies dropped from 5.69% to 2.26%
    3) Charge-offs increased to 56.95% from 24.96% and excess spread went dramatically negative (-44.40% from -6.09%)

[There is chart that is in the original article. Click the source URL at the bottom of the story to view the chart.]

Turns out Advanta changed their charge-off policy, such that accounts over 120 days past due now have their entire balance deemed a loss (previously they waited until 180 days). Hence the drop in 90+ delinquencies after the reclassification. Since the folks who were past due probably had the highest risk-based pricing, the yield on the remaining portfolio drops. Finally, since the accounts over 120 days are now charged-off, excess spread takes a hit.

While the numbers may look better next month after this one-off change in accounting policy, Advanta serves as a good example of how quickly a lending business can turn sour once your financing goes away and you have to start trimming down the business. Caveat CIT.

By nickbarbon
    Created 07/20/2009 - 18:41

Source URL: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/just-flesh-wound
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 07-21-2009, 06:09 AM. Reason: Format the article to conform to forum rules.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes......
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

....I owe them like 30k.....I haven't filed yet but I haven't paid them since like May 08...shame
      "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
      Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
      341 Hearing March 4th 2010
      Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        Pardon me while I wipe the tears from my eyes......

ROFL! here is a hankee

Comment

Advanta is the largest reason I am on the ropes. I was a fool. I charged about 40k for my small business, and paid them over 90k in interest over several years. When things got tough, I callled and asked for some help. A reduction in rate or a long-term workout plan. The voice on the other end all but laughed at me. I knew, even then, 15-20 of my coleagues in the same boat. Roll that math out to its logical conclusion, and WE knew years in advance where Advanta would shed its last blood.
          11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
          12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I owned them 20k of a 3% fixed balance transfer rate. After 4 months they decided the rate should go up to 20% because I was only paying the minimum payment (that was really the only given reason).

I balance transfered to another card and they then raised my credit line to 40k and APR to *38%*! They sent checks all the time trying to get me to use the card at 38%.

I wonder why people default at 38%? Really... a great company they were!

Comment

What to do then?

Advanta charged off my $3500 debt, should I pay them or wait to see what happens to the company? Can any more good come from paying them?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X