Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone senator blocks unemployment benefit extensions

February 26, 2010

The Senate adjourned Friday without approving extensions of cash and health insurance benefits for the unemployed after a lone senator blocked swift passage due to his insistence that Congress first pay for the $10 billion package.

Retiring Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Kentucky, led a spirited Senate debate with Democrats over the issue -- at one time cursing at another senator on the floor. Bunning said he doesn't oppose extending the programs -- he just doesn't want to add to the deficit.

According to two Democratic aides on the Senate floor Thursday night, Bunning muttered "tough s---" as Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Oregon, criticized Bunning's stance on the package.

An aide to Merkley said the senator didn't hear the remark. A spokesman for Bunning said he was aware of the reports about the senator's language but didn't have a comment.

On Friday, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, sent Bunning a letter asking him to "stand down immediately" from his stance.

"Unemployment insurance is a lifeline to the long-term unemployed whose families have been hit very hard by this recession," she said.

For his part, Bunning maintained on Friday that if all senators could agree that the benefits are so important, then they should find a way to pay for them.

"If we can't find $10 billion somewhere for a bill that everybody in this body supports, we will never pay for anything," he said.

Democrats argued the safety net funds are classified as "emergency" and therefore don't need to be offset.

Starting Monday, the jobless will no longer be able to apply for federal unemployment benefits or the COBRA health insurance subsidy.

With the Senate not in a position to vote on the extensions until next Tuesday at the earliest, senators and their staffs scrambled to determine the practical implication of letting the programs lapse -- even if for just a few days.

In addition to funding unemployment insurance and the COBRA health insurance program for people who have lost their jobs, the bill would have prevented a scheduled 21 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors.

Those cuts will technically go into place when doctors' offices open Monday. But because there is a two-week delay processing Medicare payments, a short-term lapse of the program is unlikely to affect payments, according to experts in the medical community and a Senate Finance Committee aide contacted by CNN.

Likewise, unemployment benefits could be delayed -- but if Congress acts next week, they will probably be minor, according to a Labor Department analyst who spoke to CNN. That's because Congress will likely approve the funds retroactively to make up for the missing days. An aide to Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus confirmed the Senate will try to pass the funds retroactively.

Other programs involving federal flood insurance, satellite TV licensing, and small business loans, will also go dark until Congress passes extensions.

The Senate adjourned Friday without approving extensions of cash and health insurance benefits for the unemployed after a lone senator blocked swift passage due to his insistence that Congress first pay for the $10 billion package.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    February 26, 2010

The Senate adjourned Friday without approving extensions of cash and health insurance benefits for the unemployed after a lone senator blocked swift passage due to his insistence that Congress first pay for the $10 billion package....
    Thank goodness. Someone needs to stand up for fiscal responsibility. Republicans and Democrats have been equally guilty of irresponsible spending and larding on the pork. Maybe the protests are starting to give them a clue.
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

This is the article that poster Tigergem is referring to in the post in 'General Talk'.

Please read the article carefully. the Senator is NOT against Unemployment Compensation; he simply wants the program PAID for, NOT added to the National Debt that our children and their children will be paying for.

Believe me, I am interested in this, as I have been unemployed for two years, except for a small PT job, that I am very grateful to have. However, it won't pay the bills. I have been looking, but I live in a small, poor county, and am 57 years of age. I have now been passed over for more than 5 positions that I am more than qualified for. The rationale is that the employers want people that are from 'outside', as the have more 'worldly experence' and they want people that are young and not looking to retire in 5-10 years.

I told them I would be with them for 30 years if they would hire me, and would work for less than minimum wage.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Does not come as a surprise that the funding of unemployment benefits would take a back seat. After all it's much more important for the Obama administration to propose to TRIPLE THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY LOAN GUARANTEE PROGRAM TO $ 54 BILLION in support of building new Nuclear Reactors under the guise that this will create 'new jobs for Americans'....

Of courseBuilding new Nuclear Plants DOES NOT CREATE AMERICAN JOBS: the majority of stimulus money would be going to the following overseas companies. Here are the largest ones:
        JAPAN STEEL WORKS,
        AREVA
        MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES
        TOSHIBA
        GENERAL ELECTRIC/HITACHI LTD

Comment

I'm watching this closely to, as my wife is on UI and has 5 weeks to go. if they pass something, it will be just in the nick of time
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Why do politicians always seem to find a backbone or a cause worth fighting for in their last term of office, or after they are out of office altogether?

Honesty seems to only arrive when the next election no longer matters.

Don't take me wrong, UI needs to be extended.

But WHY did this fool choose now to stand up to deficit spending? Why not in 08 when Republican friends at Bank Of America, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, and Goldman Sachs were feasting at the public trough?

I am so tired of the posturing that we see in D.C.

Term limits for all.

Both parties are to blame, and we the people are, too.

Our country is at risk of total failure, and we get more of the same from politicians. But, also from US, the people. We let this happen. Every time one party or the other distracts us by finger pointing we are guilty. The parties are essentially the same.

One argues that the sky is partly cloudy and condemns the other.

The other argues that the sky is mostly sunny and calls for heads on platters.

Enough. Our country is burning to the ground, and these morons waste time and money on stupidity. Revolution will come if this continues.

People ARE waking up, but it is a slow process. Maybe too slow to halt the coming disaster.
            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by OHBOY View Post
              Does not come as a surprise that the funding of unemployment benefits would take a back seat. After all it's much more important for the Obama administration to propose to TRIPLE THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY LOAN GUARANTEE PROGRAM TO $ 54 BILLION in support of building new Nuclear Reactors under the guise that this will create 'new jobs for Americans'....

Of courseBuilding new Nuclear Plants DOES NOT CREATE AMERICAN JOBS: the majority of stimulus money would be going to the following overseas companies. Here are the largest ones:
              JAPAN STEEL WORKS,
              AREVA
              MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES
              TOSHIBA
              GENERAL ELECTRIC/HITACHI LTD
              You mean they are bringing Japanese workers over here to build our nuclear power plants? The Japanese are going to be hired to operate the plants? Japanese security guards? WOW that doesn't sound very American to me. Ban those damn efficient and clean nuclear power plants - any project that will employ thousands of Japanese shouldn't be allowed in this country. yeah - that's the ticket.

BTW it's a REPUBLICAN senator that is blocking the unemployment extensions - why you blaming Obama for what some azzhole Republican lame duck senator is doing?

In addition to funding unemployment insurance and the COBRA health insurance program for people who have lost their jobs, the bill would have prevented a scheduled 21 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors.
              This is more important - the extensions will be passed despite some grandstanding idiot who doesn't have to face his voters.
              “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
                Thank goodness. Someone needs to stand up for fiscal responsibility. Republicans and Democrats have been equally guilty of irresponsible spending and larding on the pork. Maybe the protests are starting to give them a clue.
                Amen!

Too many in Washington have forgotten that their fiscal responsibility includes both sides of the equation i.e. revenue and expenditures.

You want to dump another $100,000,000 into unemployment benefits? No problem. Cut the worthless Department of Education budget to pay for it.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Perhaps with them mess we are in all we can do is borrow from tomorow? People are not paying taxes so things can not be paid for. When is the last time any senator asked how we were going to pay for viet nam, or the war in iraq? We have not paid for WWII yet. What are they talking about? They act as if they have ever balanced a budget. They simply dont "count" the cost of war in the budget.. So, maybe we should not could social services in the budget either.

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
                    Perhaps with them mess we are in all we can do is borrow from tomorow? People are not paying taxes so things can not be paid for. When is the last time any senator asked how we were going to pay for viet nam, or the war in iraq? We have not paid for WWII yet. What are they talking about? They act as if they have ever balanced a budget. They simply dont "count" the cost of war in the budget.. So, maybe we should not could social services in the budget either.
                    Except Congress just passed and Obama just signed the Paygo bill which requires congress to pay for spending via cuts elsewhere or raising taxes (i.e. PAY as you GO). This bill was the first one after the passage of Paygo and the fools wanted to exempt it from the Paygo requirements.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Here are a couple of ways to get more money back in-house:

1. Remove the training wheels from the Iraqi bike and make them start pedaling on their own. Bring troops home. It costs millions to keep them there, and like a kid with a bike, it is time to let go of it and let them fall or pedal on their own. We have hotspots that require troops, but a majority can be brought home.

2. NASA=waste of major $$$$. I do know we need to maintain certain things because sattelite communications is the present and future. But do we really need a 30 year anniversary trip to the moon? It hasn't changed. Do we need to spend billions to send some second grade teacher from Frog Balls, Tennessee (thanks, George Carlin...love this line) into space because she dreamed of being an astronaut?

3. Cut out most welfare recipients. I am sick of being behind some woman in a supermarket, standing there with her Vuitton bag, perfect hair and perfect nails, too tight True Religion jeans...who then pulls out the food stamp card to pay for groceries and a huge wad of cash for the ciggies and beer who hops into her new Escalade and drives off. If drug testing works for the military, time to pop random tests on others whose payday comes from the gov't. Obviously many have unclaimed income. Time to investigate where it is coming from.
                      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                        Here are a couple of ways to get more money back in-house:

1. Remove the training wheels from the Iraqi bike and make them start pedaling on their own. Bring troops home. It costs millions to keep them there, and like a kid with a bike, it is time to let go of it and let them fall or pedal on their own. We have hotspots that require troops, but a majority can be brought home.

2. NASA=waste of major $$$$. I do know we need to maintain certain things because sattelite communications is the present and future. But do we really need a 30 year anniversary trip to the moon? It hasn't changed. Do we need to spend billions to send some second grade teacher from Frog Balls, Tennessee (thanks, George Carlin...love this line) into space because she dreamed of being an astronaut?

3. Cut out most welfare recipients. I am sick of being behind some woman in a supermarket, standing there with her Vuitton bag, perfect hair and perfect nails, too tight True Religion jeans...who then pulls out the food stamp card to pay for groceries and a huge wad of cash for the ciggies and beer who hops into her new Escalade and drives off. If drug testing works for the military, time to pop random tests on others whose payday comes from the gov't. Obviously many have unclaimed income. Time to investigate where it is coming from.
                        Eliminating MOST federal agencies would satisfy me.

Comment

The cure is simple.... we must get back to a constitutional government.

With that being said however, I really doubt that it will ever happen.
                          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                            The cure is simple.... we must get back to a constitutional government.

With that being said however, I really doubt that it will ever happen.
                            Join a Tea Party and help America get back there!

Comment

The whole "lone senator" or "one-man blockade" reports on this still have me confused.

How is it that republicans have so little power in DC and yet they have been accused of blocking UE benefits or not passing Obama care, etc. They are in the minority and have been since 2006.

Maybe someone smarter then me can answer this. I just do not get it.
                              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X