Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployed? Don't rush to pay down debt says advisor

May 3, 2010

People who lose their jobs often think about using a severance package to pay off debts. Instead they should focus on conserving cash, says Robert Fragasso, chairman of Fragasso Financial Advisors, a financial-planning firm in Pittsburgh.

One reason: A job search can take longer than anticipated.

"Cash is king during a period of transition," says Mr. Fragasso, who advises clients to make minimum payments on credit cards and other debt until they land a new job and to consider raising deductibles on home and auto insurance policies to trim costs. That way, they are better prepared for an unexpected expense such as a medical emergency that could wipe them out and lead to bigger problems, like losing a home.

Mr. Fragasso has been providing financial counseling to people who have lost their jobs for the past three years, through an outplacement agency in Pittsburgh that retained his firm to help clients with their finances. While many of the people Mr. Fragasso advises held senior positions at their former companies, he says they often don't have a good handle on their finances, something he blames on the lack of financial education in America's schools and colleges.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I definitely did this, with my severance and my 401(k). Wish I would have come to bkforum sooner.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

I too used my savings and such to keep up with debt. Alas, I had nothing to fall back on once I found a job and a couple of emergencies arose...thus here I am.
      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Lost my job Jan 2009 due to a RIF. Used up my severence, savings and 401(k) and still looking for a job. Been working PT, but alas, can't keep up with the bills. Now it's official. My case was filed late last week.
        Filed: 4/30/2010; 341: 6/7/2010; Discharged: 8/11/2010; Closed: 8/16/2010

Comment

Cash is king!
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            Cash is king!
            From Jan 2008 until November 2010, I blew thru 60K in savings and put 35K on credit cards just paying interest on bad investments. Now BK'd on the investment and credit cards. I didn't qualify for a chap 7 at the time, nor did I even consider it. I just did the expected thing and tried to keep up the payments by robbing my IRA. Now every thing is gone and I'm 60K lighter in my IRA.

I should have filed Chap 13 or Sold my home and filed Non-consumer chap 7.

I could have sold my home and got about what the payoff was. Purchased a much smaller home or rented (my credit was still very good.) Then my consumer debt would have been much less than my investment debt.

But, like most other people, we don't realize BK is an financial tool that should be considered when reviewing your financial future. It was an expensive lesson.
            Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
            Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
            341 - 2/12/2010
            Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

me, too! I'm a poster child for this mistake!

Thinking I was "doing the right thing" by using up all my funds to keep up with the CC and mortgages- blew thru my entire savings/401K and credit limits.

I, too, wish I'd found this forum before I did that.

I'd still have 84K or more in 401K, at least and not be looking at working right up to my grave.
              Ch13 filed 10-16-08
              341 meeting 11-21-08
              Repayment plan meeting 12-19-08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X