top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bank Fires Collection Agency Whose Operators Used Racist, Obscene Phone Calls to Coll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Fires Collection Agency Whose Operators Used Racist, Obscene Phone Calls to Coll

September 24, 2010

Two days after being confronted by ABC News, Bank of America has fired a debt collection agency whose operators used racist and obscene phone calls to collect debts from bank customers.

"What's up, you f---ing n---r?" said one of the collection agents in a message to 32-year old Allen Jones of Dallas, who owed $81 on his Bank of America credit card.

"This is your f---ing wake up call, man," the debt collector said in a message left at Jones' home at 6:30 a.m.

In a message left a few minutes later, the debt collection agent told Jones, "You little, lazy ass *****, get your mother f---ing ass up and go pick some mother f---ing cotton fields, *****."

Jones said the calls continued even after he told the debt collection company he had paid his credit card bill.

"The representative acted like, oh, we can call you as many times as we want," Jones said in an interview to be broadcast Friday on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer and Nightline.

The calls came from the Harlingen, Texas office of Advanced Call Center Technologies. ACT is a Philadelphia-based company that provides collection services for a number of major corporations.

Jones saved the taped messages and hired lawyers to sue ACT. A jury in Texas found the both the debt collectors and the corporation responsible and awarded Jones more than $l.5 million.

Debt Collector Had Served Time In Prison

In the course of the investigation for trial, Jones' lawyers found that one of the callers was a supervisor who had been hired just seven months after leaving prison.

"They lived a thug life," said one of Jones' lawyers, Mark Frenkel, of the ACT operators. "They have a prison mentality."

Despite the verdict, Bank of America continued to use ACT, accepting the company's explanation that these calls were made by rogue employees, until the bank CEO, Brian Moynihan, was given a copy of the taped calls and questioned about the use of the agency.

"That would not be acceptable to me," said Brian Moynihan when told of the language and tone of the calls.

Within two days, Bank of America notified ACT its services were no longer needed, "as a result of what was raised here," said ACT chairman Chris Debbas.

Bank of America said its decision to terminate ACT was not related to the ABC News investigation, but because of issues surrounding the economy.

The ACT chairman said Bank of America had been supportive of his company, even after the verdict, and had not acted until after the ABC News interview with Moynihan.

ACT has since made management changes, according to its chairman, who said the phone calls were "deplorable."

"I worked very hard to build this company and our management team and it is unthinkable that somebody would call somebody and do that," Debbas told ABC News. He declined to identify other major corporate clients but said they continue to his firm's collection services.

"Everybody understands in this business how hard it is, everybody was outraged by what they heard, and I was indignant," said Debbas.

Debt Collectors Number One Source of Complaints to the FTC

For the last three years, complaints about debt collections and their tactics have been the number one source of complaints to the Federal Trade Commission. In the first half of 2010, the FTC received over 65,000 complaints from consumers.

"There is this huge amount of debt moving through the system," said the FTC's director of Consumer Protection, David Vladeck. "There's no question that there are serious abuses taking place in this industry," he told ABC News.

Vladeck said the FTC had a number of "active investigations" underway into the tactics of major debt collection agencies.

"The kinds of complaints we're getting now, abuse of language, harassing phone calls, we're getting more of those and they're deeply disturbing," said Vladeck.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO A PHONE MESSAGE FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR (WARNING: OFFENSIVE CONTENT)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO A SECOND PHONE MESSAGE FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR (WARNING: OFFENSIVE CONTENT)

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO A THIRD PHONE MESSAGE FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR (WARNING: OFFENSIVE CONTENT)

Two days after being confronted by ABC News, Bank of America has fired a debt collection agency after several of its operators were caught using racist and obscene phone calls to collect debts from bank customers."What's up, you f---ing n---r?" said one of the collection agents in a message to 32-year old Allen Jones of Dallas, who owed $81 on his Bank of America credit card.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

I actually saw video footage of this the other day on our local news. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Not only should that firm have beeen fired, but the firm and each and every employee on the books at the time, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Sadly, harrassment laws are woefully impotent. 'Hub and I tried every avenue available to us, trying to deal with our harrasser/stalker/cyberstalker--all to no avail.

Finally, God took him down on the 'Feast of All Fools', i.e. April Fool's Day 2009, as he was uploading his latest smear against us....

This kkrapp had been going on for nine years.....

Thank you Lord.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

All of these third party collection agency's should be closed down. Nothing but liars and thieves.
      Filed Ch 7 8/12/10
      341 Meeting 9/15/10
      Discharged 11/15/10

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post

Debt Collector Had Served Time In Prison

In the course of the investigation for trial, Jones' lawyers found that one of the callers was a supervisor who had been hired just seven months after leaving prison.

"They lived a thug life," said one of Jones' lawyers, Mark Frenkel, of the ACT operators. "They have a prison mentality."
        From my own research I've read that many collection agencies employ former felons...its obviously not a very attractive job to begin with, and I suspect the requirements to get hired aren't the most stringent. These 3rd party collectors, from my personal experience, are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Rude and harrassing in almost every conversation.

I'm glad to see guys these fired.

Comment

I'm glad to see this problem has been solved properly. I'm not going to be happy being called like that.
          How to stop garnishment - Bank Account Garnishments

Comment

I had one of these characters call me (Portofolio). I told him I googled the number then the company and found out 30% of the employees were registered sexual offenders. I then asked him if he liked little boys or little girls. He hung up. Why? Any guesses?
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
              I had one of these characters call me (Portofolio). I told him I googled the number then the company and found out 30% of the employees were registered sexual offenders. I then asked him if he liked little boys or little girls. He hung up. Why? Any guesses?

You aren't a little boy ??
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Last year Dateline ran an episode "inside the financial fiasco" part 1: Debt Trap, aired March 27, 2009. This program has debt collectors threatening to arrest, rape, take children from homes, etc, just terrible and more than evil...I never even answer the phone when the debt collectors come a callin...

No job...no unemployment...house in foreclosure( so far 11 mos and still counting) hope to file chap 7 when I get the money...and I'm certainly not an attorney....Life is good

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X