Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Hot -- and Not -- About Prepaid Debit Cards

November 5, 2010

If you listen to the media, you'd think we'd all dropped our credit cards in favor of swiping prepaid debit cards instead. Sure, there's plenty to like about prepaid debit cards, but there are various downsides to think about, too. Before you kick your credit card to the curb, take a look at what's hot -- and not so hot -- about prepaid debit cards.

What's Hot

You're forced to spend within your means: You determine how much you can spend, and then when the money's gone, you're forced to stop spending. If you have issues with self-control, this might help you stay out of debt.

Those lime-green designer shoes you thought you had to have? Sorry, but if there's not enough money left on your prepaid card, you can't have those shoes. Unless there's an earth-shattering reason why you need those shoes (and I can't think of a single one), you've been saved from going into debt.

Another good use for these cards is to limit how much your college-student kids can spend. Parents can give their college students a prepaid debit card to pay for books and an occasional pizza. You'll still get a call asking for more money, but at least you'll know how much they just spent.

Your credit history doesn't matter: If you don't qualify for an unsecured credit card, no problem. You can get a prepaid card. There are no credit checks because you're putting your own money on the card.

Now, prepaid debit cards generally don't improve your credit history. But there are some prepaid cards, such as the AccountNow® Prepaid MasterCard®, that function almost like a secured credit card. The difference is that the money you've loaded onto your card isn't connected to a deposit in your bank account. According to the cardholder agreement, this is not a credit card, but they do report your payments to credit bureaus, which can build your credit history. But like many prepaid cards, it has an array of fees so read the cardholder's agreement carefully.

You get the convenience of a credit card: You could just use cash, but if you need to shop online and you don't have a credit card, you're in a pickle. This is one of the reasons prepaid debit cards have become an option for students and others who don't qualify for a credit card. Sometimes you need plastic to get what you need. And like credit cards, some prepaid cards are even offering rewards features.

A prepaid debit card is also a good option for the "unbanked," or those who don't have bank accounts. If you're part of this growing demographic, these cards give you a place to park your paycheck.

What's Not

All the fees: You're to be commended for wanting to avoid paying interest charges on a credit card. But you have to know what you're getting into with a prepaid debit card because the fees can eat up a lot of your balance. Read the "terms and conditions" statement carefully. There, you'll get information about the fee structure as well as the limits placed on specific transactions.

Here are a few fees to watch out for, with the estimated fee in parenthesis: activation fees ($9.95), ATM withdrawal fees ($2.50), balance inquiry fees ($1.00), monthly maintenance fees ($9.95), and even fees for calling customer service ($2 per call!). And how about this one? Bank teller cash advance charge: $4.95.

If you want to add money to a prepaid card, you might be able to buy a Green Dot MoneyPak card at stores, such as Walmart and Kroger, for $4.95. You take the MoneyPak card to the cash register and decide how much cash you want to put on your prepaid card. But don't forget that you pay $4.95 for this convenience.

Weaker consumer protection: If someone steals your card and your PIN, you may get your money back, but it could be a long, painful process. You don't have the same automatic federal statutes protecting you that you do when you use a credit card.

According to the Federal Reserve, here's how it works with debit cards. If your card is lost or stolen, report it within two days to limit your liability to $50. Beyond two days, your liability can be as high as $500. If it takes you more than sixty days to report the theft, you might be liable for the entire amount. Now, some card issuers offer more protection -- even if it isn't required by law. Read your card agreement carefully so you what your card issuer's policy is just in case your card is stolen.

No leverage on a bill dispute: Let's say you buy a first-edition book online, but when it arrives, you're unhappy with its condition. You try to contact the individual or company who sold it to you, but they've vanished into the night.

With a credit card, you're protected by federal law. You can contact your credit card issuer and you don't have to pay the bill until you've settled the dispute. With a debit card, though, it's as if you paid cash and there's no recourse if the seller skips town.

With a credit card, you're protected by federal law. With a debit card, though, it's as if you paid cash and there's no recourse if the seller skips town.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

To add to the list:

You can't rent a car with a prepaid debit card, unless it is tied to a checking account.

Checking into a hotel room with a prepaid debit card might require you to have a huge balance on the card, since hotels routinely block out your card for lots of extras.

Comment

Prepaid is still the best way to go.

I don't care much about reserving a hotel room or car. Worse case scenario, I'll just get a cash advance and then pay in cash. When a prepaid is used, you still have the option of paying with debit or credit. I always use credit so the transaction will go through as a credit transaction, then I will have the protections just like I would if I was using a credit card. Also, the fees very among prepaid debit cards providers. That is why it is important for those who are thinking about getting one to do their research to find the provider with the least fees.

Comment

Paying for hotel and car rentals can be an issue for those who have sales jobs or are trying to operate as independent contractors to make a living. Car rental agencies insist on a debit card that is tied to a checking account, no cash allowed, although when you return the car you can pay cash and have the card credited. Debit cards tied to your checking account work in hotels, and can be used as a credit transaction if you have enough money in your account. Some will accept cash for the room, usually the one or two night stays in the cheapest hotels, but many still insist on a debit or credit card on file for extras.The same can be true for such cards as a prepaid Walmart debit card, but again, only if the hotel block outs do not exceed what you have on the card.

Comment

Originally posted by jjim120 View Post
          Paying for hotel and car rentals can be an issue for those who have sales jobs or are trying to operate as independent contractors to make a living. Car rental agencies insist on a debit card that is tied to a checking account, no cash allowed, although when you return the car you can pay cash and have the card credited. Debit cards tied to your checking account work in hotels, and can be used as a credit transaction if you have enough money in your account. Some will accept cash for the room, usually the one or two night stays in the cheapest hotels, but many still insist on a debit or credit card on file for extras.The same can be true for such cards as a prepaid Walmart debit card, but again, only if the hotel block outs do not exceed what you have on the card.
          I still have my bank of America check card. Not really sure if I will be able to keep it once I file in two months since b of a will be included in my bk. For me, I don't travel much so I don't stay in hotels or rent cars, but I will be traveling next year, and I am glad you brought up the limits of prepaid debit cards.

Comment

If you are staying in a hotel and don't have a credit card then you can tell then you don't want the option of any incidentals(sp?). I did this for YEARS when I had a sales job even though I had an active bank account. There is no reason to have someone holding on to your money just in case.

Comment

I simply LOVE our WAL-MART Visa Student-Edition. My brother is living outside the country and we send him money on a regular basis - he has the second card. Say "Good Bye" to filling out these boring and never ending Western-Union forms..

We don't carry high balances on it. After it is charged, it's spent immediately.
              Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
              FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
              FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X