12 Things To Stop Paying For and Start Doing Yourself To Save Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjim120 View Post
    Have always done all of these, except the car maintenance. What do those of you who do your own oil changes do with the used oil today?
    I take mine to any of the auto parts stores or a shop I know that burns it in a waste oil furnace. Doesn't cost anything to dispose. Oil filters can be thrown in regular trash after you drain as much oil as possible.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Used oil (what to do with it).....

Some people have bought furnaces that actually burn old oil from vehicles. We have a guy down the road that uses it for heat. So that is where our oil goes.

Listen friends. My husband is a mechanic. We used to own a auto repair facility. We were probably the most honest out of any place you can go to. The expense of having your car fixed is high because now a days, mechanics have to buy different tools for different cars. For example, to change a wheel bearing it might require a specific tool for that vehicle make. The tools are expensive. The automotive industry has done this so that people couldn't fix their own car in their garage. Is is sad. We had to purchase a rather expensive scanner that also require updates every so often. The updates can be in excess of 4 thousand. It is ridiculous.
      Anyway, if you are going to do it yourself (which I recommend you don't, rather make friends with a mechanic who will work on your car on the side) be sure to use actual jack stands if you will be under your vehicle. Do not use concrete blocks or boards. Too often we hear of people getting crushed because they did not safely support the vehicle. Jacks fail. Remember this, and that this is why you MUST use jack stands that are rated for the weight of your vehicle.

But remember, most mechanics are not paid that well. If you know one, perhaps you can get him to do some side work. Or pay him to "help" you to do the actual work, since doing side work in some states, outside of a licensed automotive repair facility, can cost them their license.

Just be sure to use proper safety precautions. Be sure to have proper jack stands. I don't want to read about how someones friend was found crushed under their car in the garage hours after he went to fix his exhaust, or break line.
      My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

For us. DH has always taken care of his own cars. From tearing down an engine and rebuilding to restoring. One of his loves (besides me) haha.

He has taught me how to change oil, sparkplugs, brakes, all that good stuff. When we first got together he was changing out a transmission on his motorhome. So i was right under there with him learning about what was under there and helping him hold up the driveshaft.

We don't have garbage pickup (don't want to pay the 15. a month) when we can drop off garbage once a week when we go into town. Dump is about a block out of our way. At the dump they have a recycling place to bring your used oil. The kitty litter containers work great for the oil.

DH loves to cook and the first thanksgiving we were together I watched him make everything from the pies to turkey n dressing. WOW i thought i was on another planet. LOL
        He n I love to be in the kitchen together trying out new stuff. Very seldom go out and eat.

HOUSECLEANERS...i have been in peoples homes doing wallpapering and they are hustling around the house cleaning BEFORE their housecleaners get there so the cleaners don't think they are slobs. ROFL
        filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
        "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Wow! Only $15 a month for garbage pick up, oregonpilot? It's $55 a month at my house. I make a trip to the transfer station every 3 months or so for $30 a load. Plus they take all the recyclables there as well, including used oil.

Cutting my own hair? That's not gonna happen. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Egr61 View Post
            Wow! Only $15 a month for garbage pick up, oregonpilot? It's $55 a month at my house. I make a trip to the transfer station every 3 months or so for $30 a load. Plus they take all the recyclables there as well, including used oil.

Cutting my own hair? That's not gonna happen. LOL.
            Funny...i would cut my hair if i wanted to spend the rest of my life with a hat on. hahaha
            In the county i'm in, the dump( transfer station) is free. they take all the recyclables too.
            Where i use to live (klamath cnty) they weighed vehicles going in and when you came out and you paid by the pound the weight difference.
            filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
            "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
              Funny...i would cut my hair if i wanted to spend the rest of my life with a hat on. hahaha
              In the county i'm in, the dump( transfer station) is free. they take all the recyclables too.
              Where i use to live (klamath cnty) they weighed vehicles going in and when you came out and you paid by the pound the weight difference.
              I've been cutting my hair for years. It's a habit I got into when I was doing a stint in a really rural community (population ~200), where the nearest barber was 30 miles away and had rather unpredictable hours. The 60-mile round trip was a real drag, especially when I would get to the barber shop and find that he decided to take the day off to go fishing.

I'd like to add another money-saving tip: Barter. I do a lot of side jobs for people who are skilled in things I need done. A great barter is one where both parties believe the got the better end of the deal.

-Rich
              Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
              Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                LOL! Hey... its not that bad cutting it yourself I just did mine earlier this past week and cut about 2 inches off, and layered it all. Was hard to do - especially the back - but...it can be done and not look like a toddler with school scissors got hold of ya LOL! Although I must admit, I was a bit worried that I would have to wear a hat as it had been so long since I'd cut my own hair. Just got sick of it and couldnt get into my hair dresser anytime soon... it looks great (thank GOD)

As far as vehicle maintenance goes... I totally forgot about one option that may be out there for some: Call your local high school's auto mech. dept! Many times they will work on it for free and under an ASE Certified Mechanic (all teachers here must be ASE Cert). We had our transmission worked on this way on an old car we had.... and didnt cost us anything except parts. Also the teacher may work on the side repairing for money, its not unheard of for an auto teacher to have a shop at home

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X