Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Foreclosures Expected in 2011

December 12, 2010

Brace yourself for another rough year in housing: The number of foreclosures is expected by many to increase in 2011 as more troubled mortgages work their way through the pipeline.

Next year could very well be a peak year for foreclosures, says Rick Sharga, a senior vice president at RealtyTrac, an online marketplace for foreclosure properties. The market is expected to tally about 1.2 million bank repossessions in 2010, up from 900,000 in 2009, he says. "We expect we will top both of those numbers in 2011."

That's partially due to issues the industry has faced with foreclosure processing that began in the fall and delayed a portion of foreclosures from being completed this year, he says. In the so-called robosigning controversy, some lenders halted foreclosures after learning procedures for signing off on foreclosure documents might not be in accordance with the law.

Continued high unemployment also is expected to exacerbate the foreclosure problem in the year ahead, as will upcoming interest-rate resets on adjustable-rate mortgages that will increase monthly payments for some homeowners, Mr. Sharga says.

In the meantime, data on the volume of loan modifications from the Treasury Department indicate that fewer borrowers were being approved for permanent modifications in recent months, says Greg Hebner, chief executive of MOS Group, a loss-mitigation service provider to mortgage lenders and servicers.

What's more, there's a growing feeling that modifying mortgages doesn't get to the heart of the housing crisis: "There is the perception that the answer to this involves trying to get job growth," which will help homeowners pay their loans and enable others to buy homes, said Jay Brinkmann, chief economist for the Mortgage Bankers Association, during a recent conference call with reporters.

For the longer term, however, the outlook for the foreclosure market is better since fewer homeowners are becoming delinquent on their mortgage payments. Thirty-day delinquencies are down 11% since the height of the recession in the first part of 2009, according to Mr. Brinkmann.

And loans 60 or more days past due are expected to fall nearly 20% by the end of 2011, to about 5% of all mortgages from an expected 6.2% at the end of 2010, according to a forecast released Tuesday from credit-reporting company TransUnion. Delinquency numbers are expected to continue to improve as unemployment slowly declines. (For its numbers, TransUnion uses a random sample of 27 million records from its database.)

"It's good progress, but we are by no means out of the woods yet," says Steve Chaouki, group vice president in TransUnion's financial-services business unit. In a more normal market, 60-day delinquencies would be in the 1.5% to 2% range, he says.

So how does all this bode for housing prices?

High housing inventory, along with high unemployment, will likely add up to continued depressed home prices in the year ahead in many markets, says Nichole Jordan, banking and securities industry practice leader for Grant Thornton, an accounting and business advisory firm.

"It's going to take several years to work through the excess inventory," she says.

Ms. Jordan and others are looking to 2012 for anything resembling a recovery in housing. Even then, it's going to be a long journey to stabilization; it historically takes five to seven years for prices to stabilize after a deep correction, Ms. Jordan says.

"Realistically, you're not going to see home prices appreciate next year," says Jason Kopcak, head of whole loans at financial-services firm Cantor Fitzgerald. In fact, many in the industry are expecting prices to fall another 10% next year on a national basis, he says. RealtyTrac's Mr. Sharga says the national decline could be around 5%. Other economists are expecting prices to remain flat.

Next year "is going to be a wash, in terms of any meaningful recovery, and we're looking toward 2012," said Guy Cecala, publisher of Inside Mortgage Finance, during a conference call with reporters. And that's assuming there are no other major problems or delays to contend with, he says.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Is this really a surprise to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      A real shocker isn't it?

The only thing that amazes me is how many are being foreclosed on in December/January in my area. Normally, we have a slow time for foreclosures & evictions in December due to the holidays, but it's full speed ahead this year.

Foreclosures now are close to double what they were a year ago.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I think the foreclosure law firms are trying to boost end of year revenue by betting a bunch of cases filed and started

Comment

I think the foreclosure law firms are trying to boost end of year revenue by betting a bunch of cases filed and started
          Yeah those execs at the mortgage companies need to spend a lot on their families for Christmas and Hanukkah

Comment

Yes.

Some people still believe we are in a recovery especially CNBC.

I feel that all the popping bubbles happening is the real recovery.

The govt and all of the sheep think otherwise. They want to reinflate the bubble as if this is the solution.
            The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

It can keep going down as far as I'm concerned --- down, down, down, just in time for dh and I to recover and purchase a house at the true bottom.

Comment

I dont have any predictions for 2011 but, It depends on the people and the properties they will own.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                  Yes.

Some people still believe we are in a recovery especially CNBC.

I feel that all the popping bubbles happening is the real recovery.

The govt and all of the sheep think otherwise. They want to reinflate the bubble as if this is the solution.
                  We ARE in a recovery. Albeit a slow one,but we are in one. I know that there are sheep out there who would like to think otherwise because it doesn't suit their agenda, but it is what it is.

BTW, even in booming times, there were foreclosures. I don't expect that to go away when the recovery finally decides to go faster, just not be in the degree it is now. It's not about bubbles. Those are going to happen regardless. I suspect the next time will be in about 20 years. That seems to be the cycle (the last one was around that long ago, remember the S&L crisis?). All of the young people coming out of college don't learn from the mistakes of the past. And until they do, bubbles will always happen.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                    We ARE in a recovery. Albeit a slow one,but we are in one. I know that there are sheep out there who would like to think otherwise because it doesn't suit their agenda, but it is what it is.

BTW, even in booming times, there were foreclosures. I don't expect that to go away when the recovery finally decides to go faster, just not be in the degree it is now. It's not about bubbles. Those are going to happen regardless. I suspect the next time will be in about 20 years. That seems to be the cycle (the last one was around that long ago, remember the S&L crisis?). All of the young people coming out of college don't learn from the mistakes of the past. And until they do, bubbles will always happen.
                    I cannot see where you can say this? Goebbels effect? "Tell people big lies, often enough and they soon will believe them."

Here in FL we are near about 15% real data, not CNBC figures. Our County is near Depression numbers, yet we all keep "whistling past the graveyard".

'Bammy stated we needed to tax the rich and all will be better, while conservative (Note I didn't say Republicans) stated lower tax rates will spur growth. He denied this fact. Then when he HAD to compromise he then claims that HIS tax cuts will help the Country.

We are status quo at this time as we had no tax cut, we just didn't have the tax increase that was ten years static. We are still going down hill. If 'Bammy actually cut taxes it would show a great impetus to many businesses to start gearing up as well as consumers starting to consume. Bring more of our product back from China to the U.S. might just be a novel idea. Pay a bit more to get quality. I don't know how many Chinese wrenches I have broken while my 20 year old Craftsman wrenches go on and on and if broken replaced free (now with Chinese product).

Only confidence in our ability will ever bring back the economy. While our Vacationer-in-Chief is "resting" again at our expenses in Hawaii, Michele eats cake while we have no bread. Then tells US what our children can eat in school. Oh by the way, no toys in those McDonald's kids meals. By Government edict.

Well enough. Why ruin my Christmas? I have our Christmas gruel to stir and am too busy attempting to find more wood to keep it warm for Christmas dinner so I'm going to forget thinking about sunny Hawaiian beaches and I never did like golf.

Bah-Humbug, 'Hub
                    Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 12-24-2010, 06:48 AM.
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

A good follow up: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-For-16-Months

Yeppers, we are really recovering. The operation was a success, but the patient died.
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                        I cannot see where you can say this? Goebbels effect? "Tell people big lies, often enough and they soon will believe them."

Here in FL we are near about 15% real data, not CNBC figures. Our County is near Depression numbers, yet we all keep "whistling past the graveyard".

'Bammy stated we needed to tax the rich and all will be better, while conservative (Note I didn't say Republicans) stated lower tax rates will spur growth. He denied this fact. Then when he HAD to compromise he then claims that HIS tax cuts will help the Country.

We are status quo at this time as we had no tax cut, we just didn't have the tax increase that was ten years static. We are still going down hill. If 'Bammy actually cut taxes it would show a great impetus to many businesses to start gearing up as well as consumers starting to consume. Bring more of our product back from China to the U.S. might just be a novel idea. Pay a bit more to get quality. I don't know how many Chinese wrenches I have broken while my 20 year old Craftsman wrenches go on and on and if broken replaced free (now with Chinese product).

Only confidence in our ability will ever bring back the economy. While our Vacationer-in-Chief is "resting" again at our expenses in Hawaii, Michele eats cake while we have no bread. Then tells US what our children can eat in school. Oh by the way, no toys in those McDonald's kids meals. By Government edict.

Well enough. Why ruin my Christmas? I have our Christmas gruel to stir and am too busy attempting to find more wood to keep it warm for Christmas dinner so I'm going to forget thinking about sunny Hawaiian beaches and I never did like golf.

Bah-Humbug, 'Hub
                        Come on 'Hub.....

Tell us how you really feel.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

The biggest eye-opener for me personally was going onto local Sheriff's website and seeing the number of homes going up for sale in the next few months, in such a small county...granted, some of these will be saved at the last moment (been there and done that more than once) but fact that doesn't address - let alone resolve - the underlying problem...on any level...

I'd be willing to bet my last red cent that at least half of these homes would've been saved had the banks shown any interest in working with homeowners...instead of cutting the very branch they're sitting on in the long run...

But wait...why would they work with anyone? They'll just ask for another bailout...
                          No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post

And the biggest, baddest bubble of them all at this time are govt bonds. One prediction I will go out on a limb by saying that possibly in 2011 the bond bubble will most likely burst and it may take this "slow recovery" down with it.

Only a complete moron would loan any city, state or federal govt money knowing they will never be paid back. This reality will cause the current bond holders to dump their holdings and will drive up interest rates on already bankrupt govts.

It's so easy to predict this because it's already happening now!

Either way Merry Christmas and enjoy the recovery.
                            The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

6 homes on my block are in foreclosure. Our house was in foreclosure for 14 months and sold at auction last week for $50k from an out of state investor. We owed $150k and just 4 years ago our house was appraised for $225k. CitMortgage would not give us a loan mod due to job loss... Since Nevada became a non-recourse state Oct 2009, we will be stuck with a $125k deficiency balance, but the mortgage debt relief forgiveness act should take care of that (take note: Act ends 2011). Good luck everyone..

And most of all, a Shout Out and Thank You to all of the helpful members on BKforum... Merry Christmas..."The first wealth is health" blessings and good health to everyone...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X