Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumers Getting Clothes Mended Instead Of Junking Them

June 22, 2011

Now that the economic downturn has well set in and there's no booming recovery around the corner, it's a good moment to take stock of the little things that have changed. Ed, a dry cleaner in Brooklyn, says, "I'm seeing a lot more repairs, a lot more patches."

Instead of throwing away clothes that have a rip or don't fit, more of his customers are asking for work done. His customers are telling him, "Let it out, let it in," he says, getting pants that are too tight adjusted, dresses that are too wide cinched up.

It seems the "everything is disposable" mentality has gone in for alterations.

"People are holding onto stuff longer," says Ed.

Filed/discharged/closed Chapter 7 in 2010!

My tailor says that his business has increased dramatically due to the economy. People are "shopping their closets" more than ever. I for one, am doing the same. Instead of buying something new, I re-design it to my liking. True, the alterations aren't cheap, but they're far less expensive than buying new clothes.

Comment

I think its a great idea to re-use clothes and alter them, especially customizing clothes to keep up with current fashions by visiting the local haberdashery getting a few different buttons or fabrics to complete a look, which is alot cheaper than buying new..
      Link Removed By Moderator

Comment

I need "fancy" clothes for work...pants cost $75 (ouch) so I hold onto them for dear life. Just having one mended right now - $15...

Comment

I've been doing that all my life, and when I do need something "new", I shop thrift stores.

Comment

Hi---messedupinMS---absolutely---and I'm just too hard
            on clothes to do otherwise---and either this or a consignment
            store work just fine---and as for mending or altering---this is
            something new?!---and I guess what many of us grew up with is to a lot of other folks nowadays.

Comment

just patched my son's work jeans...

other than my work clothes. I wear glorified bum wear. never wear jewelry. and never get harassed by panhandlers...in this Great Depression 2, it's not wise to look affluent...

Comment

Thrift shops, garage sales and hand me downs have been a way of life for half a century for me. Often cheaper than mending.
                These "revelations" always amuse me.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Hey---keepsmiling---I couldn't agree more---
                  and I'm always amazed when some people think that these practices are new.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X