Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PO is required to deliver mail from Bangor ME to Hana HI for the same flat rate.
    Try doing that with UPS or Fedex.
    Their business has gotten messed up by on line bill presentment and payment.
    Massive loss of first class business.
    Thank God for all the bankruptcy mailings and debt collection mailings otherwise they'd have nothing left to deliver except for a near continuous flow of junk mail from Harrah's Total Rewards.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Err wrong. USPS needs Congress permission to close down Post offices and about anything else. There is a lot of opposition in communities including the anti gov spending ones to, don't close my Post Office, but close the neighboring town one etc..Even with closing down the ones on the list, still not enough to stem the red ink.

We have to decide if its in the public interest that the Post Office needs to be subsidized to remain viable. UPS and Fed Ex would never deliver to every residential zip code unless a first class mail is priced a dollar or more.

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
      It's assinine to blame it on Congress. USPS was not able to compete with the competition. Not to mention texting and e-mail took away a lot of business. It was bound to run into financial trouble.

It is good that they are reviewing which branches they can close. They can start where I live. I live in a town that the only difference from the next town is the zip code. We have the same mayor, the same municipal court. We just have two post offices. We don't need that many.

And, again, this goes to how the USPS is being run and not Congress.

Comment

Oh yes indeed. Let's raise the rates.

That's sort of like taxing your way to prosperity.

The higher the rates, the less it will be used....
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

There are certain things in business that simply do not turn a profit on their own.
          These are called cost centers.
          Transportation (in general) being one.
          Fedex and UPS skim the USPS's cream...by design.
          Ebay for one, would shut down without USPS.
          Until recently the banking system needed USPS; now, just the debt collection system, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
            Now, shutting down of eBay would most likely have a worse effect on this country's economy than any credit downgrade...

Good luck to us all.
            No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

The real problem in this case is how public retirement funds are being funded. In private accounts, your employer may match contributing funds, and to that employer, the funds no longer belongs to the company, gone forever. The employer has the money at the time and therefore, doesn't miss it in the hereafter. If the retirement fund tanks, the retiree loses, plain and simple. In public retirement programs, our wonderful politicians rob Peter to pay Paul. They historically (ie. Social Security) have taken vested funds and used them for other budgeted purposes, to make the budget balance of course. The only problem is when times get financially tough like today, the funds are heavily exposed to the supply and demand side of the markets. So, the taxpayer is asked to bail out their political wheeler dealing over and over. Go figure!

I totally agree!!!! This is what I have always been saying about bank bailouts and bonuses and you can also add politician salaries and other benefits.

A major problem in the western world are retirement pay and benefits period! Just as I mentioned the PO has 650k full time workers and 350k retirees. What happens when they have 350k workers and 650k retirees and even less first class mail???

The problem is how can we ask our citizens and workers to make concessions when congress always gets a pay raise and always gets medical and retirement benefits.

The answer is no one rightfully so will make any concessions for those reasons so the bankruptcy of the US followed by a greater depression then before will automatically do it for us.

Comment

I would add the problem is also spending literally trillions on wars - let's be honest folks...trillions. AND our wonderful corporatocracy and billionaires paying nothing, and the US making nothing.

Comment

Just wanted to post a FYI in the event USPS does change the rate for stamps:

When buying stamps, ALWAYS buy the Liberty Bell stamps - they will remain w/out postage on them even thru rate increases as that is the stamp that is the "go-to" when rates change. I've been doing this for years now and every time stamps go up in cost, I never have to buy more.

Comment

WRF. Not being witter savvy I'm not sure if this is a universally accepted acronym but the W stands for We and you need to change a tense but I'm sure you get the drift. Closing branches and eliminating Saturday delivery makes sense. However the other side of that equation is that people will lose jobs or at least see their wages cut. Same with the pension expense. The solution to all of our economic problems will have many unintended consequences. Cut government spending? Great idea but what about the business who receive that money? They will have to cut jobs which will reduce consumer spending which will cause other businesses to stop mailing as much which will cause the Post Office to lose more money so they will close more branches and reduce delivery to 4 days a week. See the problem? I do but I don't see the solution as being simple. Solve one problem, cause others. It is the way of the world. Hard to change horses in mid-stream.

Of course the nation can elect God fearing (and exploiting) Rick Perry as our next President who based on his record as Texas governor will immediately solve our problems by cutting taxes. We know this is a good idea because Texas just solved a 14 billion two year deficit (caused mainly by an ill conceived property tax cut five years ago) by slashing aid to education, police, fire, etc. essentially all safety net things. And we know that low taxes as enacted by the Bush admin with an aid from Congress has definitely helped the US economy. Our 9% unemployment rate would most likely be double digits, the number of bankruptcies would be skyrocketing and housing prices would be plummeting to record lows with a resulting boom in foreclosures.

So I strayed a bit from the original topic. Bottom line is the same. WRF.

Comment

You are exactly so right!! I am in fact personally impacted by this - I sent my car payment (in Ch 13) to the lender, and sent it - as usual - USPS priority mail, BUT sent it with a regular envelope but with the prepaid preprinted label. It wasn't scanned in...so now I'm sitting here wondering.

What does this have to do with this? Think about it ... people mistreated fearing for their jobs, are they going to give a rat's behind about the quality of their work???

From what I've seen from the candidates of a certain political party, this past Thurs, our goose is collectively cooked.

Remember guys, empires do not die from attacks from the outside, they die from within.

Originally posted by daylate View Post
                      WRF. Not being witter savvy I'm not sure if this is a universally accepted acronym but the W stands for We and you need to change a tense but I'm sure you get the drift. Closing branches and eliminating Saturday delivery makes sense. However the other side of that equation is that people will lose jobs or at least see their wages cut. Same with the pension expense. The solution to all of our economic problems will have many unintended consequences. Cut government spending? Great idea but what about the business who receive that money? They will have to cut jobs which will reduce consumer spending which will cause other businesses to stop mailing as much which will cause the Post Office to lose more money so they will close more branches and reduce delivery to 4 days a week. See the problem? I do but I don't see the solution as being simple. Solve one problem, cause others. It is the way of the world. Hard to change horses in mid-stream.

Of course the nation can elect God fearing (and exploiting) Rick Perry as our next President who based on his record as Texas governor will immediately solve our problems by cutting taxes. We know this is a good idea because Texas just solved a 14 billion two year deficit (caused mainly by an ill conceived property tax cut five years ago) by slashing aid to education, police, fire, etc. essentially all safety net things. And we know that low taxes as enacted by the Bush admin with an aid from Congress has definitely helped the US economy. Our 9% unemployment rate would most likely be double digits, the number of bankruptcies would be skyrocketing and housing prices would be plummeting to record lows with a resulting boom in foreclosures.

So I strayed a bit from the original topic. Bottom line is the same. WRF.

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
                        And we know that low taxes as enacted by the Bush admin with an aid from Congress has definitely helped the US economy. Our 9% unemployment rate would most likely be double digits, the number of bankruptcies would be skyrocketing and housing prices would be plummeting to record lows with a resulting boom in foreclosures.

I used to believe some of this stuff on on Bush tax cuts and of course in 20/20 hind sight some of us can see just how wrong it was.

Watch part 2 of this program and see how Bush (like Obama, Clinton and the rest of the gang) put politics over doing the right thing.

Tracing the politics behind America's huge mountain of debt, the threat it presents, and how we get out of it...

The Bush economic growth was more of the Alan Greenspan housing and credit bubble.

We haven't had a true growth economy since the sixties otherwise the nations debts wouldn't be as large as they are.

Clinton presided over the tech bubble, Bush over the house/consumer credit bubble and Obama's currently presiding over the tail end of the dollar and massive government debt bubble and when this one bursts it hurt like hell!
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Germany did not raise taxes upon entering World War I, expecting to win and that the reparations from the losers would pay for the war (as it had done in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870), thus Germany financed WWI by issuing debt.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Comment

I always make it a point to send back those prepaid reply envelopes from First Premier and whatever predatory lenders happen to come my way, to help out the post office.

Comment

I always make it a point to send back those prepaid reply envelopes from First Premier and whatever predatory lenders happen to come my way, to help out the post office.

I can't stop laughing!

Comment

There are certain things in business that simply do not turn a profit on their own.
                                These are called cost centers.
                                Transportation (in general) being one.
                                Until recently the banking system needed USPS; now, just the debt collection system, sadly.
                                Ebay would shut down if USPS did? They'll adapt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X