Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi City Considers Posting Names Of Debtors To Facebook

Monday, August 27, 2012

Farmington, Miss. city officials announced they may take collection efforts to Facebook by posting to the social media site the names of individuals who owe money to the city.

Municipal Clerk Debora Jackson last week got the go-ahead from city's Board of Aldermen to set up a system and show them how it would work before going live, according to The Daily Corinthian.

Facebook's "comments" options probably would be disabled but officials believe the public shaming would have results and the information, Jackson adds, is a matter of public record.

Farmington officials said other Mississippi counties have taken similar action with positive results.

By Darren Waggoner

This website is for sale! collectionscreditrisk.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, collectionscreditrisk.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by frogger; 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

That is a rotten thing to do. Tantamount to cyber bullying. I understand it is Public Record but none-the-less, it is a purposeful privacy invasion. Can't be liable since it is fact but freedom of speech is a right unless you purposely harm another (can't yell fire in a full theater). 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      I understand it is Public Record but none-the-less, it is a purposeful privacy invasion.

'Hub - We have a couple of regional newspapers publishing a list once a month of those that haven't paid their trash bills as well. The commissioners did this with the express intent purpose to "shame" people into paying their bills.

Don't you just love politicians?
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        'Hub - We have a couple of regional newspapers publishing a list once a month of those that haven't paid their trash bills as well. The commissioners did this with the express intent purpose to "shame" people into paying their bills.

Don't you just love politicians?
        Yes, "I'm from the Government and here to help you".
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks Cat for pointing out that I didn't post the date at the top of the article. Must have missed it during the copy/paste.

Here you go:

Collections & Credit Risk | Monday, August 27, 2012

Farmington, Miss. city officials announced they may take collection efforts to Facebook by posting to the social media site the names of individuals who owe money to the city.

Municipal Clerk Debora Jackson last week got the go-ahead from city's Board of Aldermen to set up a system and show them how it would work before going live, according to The Daily Corinthian.

Facebook's "comments" options probably would be disabled but officials believe the public shaming would have results and the information, Jackson adds, is a matter of public record.

Farmington officials said other Mississippi counties have taken similar action with positive results.

Darren Waggone

This website is for sale! collectionscreditrisk.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, collectionscreditrisk.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

and they wonder what the hell is wrong with children / young adults in our school systems and where they learn bullying tactics?! This just makes me sick.

This must be one of those "do as I say not as i do" ....gov't at its finest.

Know what they say about karma....

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              That is a rotten thing to do. Tantamount to cyber bullying. I understand it is Public Record but none-the-less, it is a purposeful privacy invasion. Can't be liable since it is fact but freedom of speech is a right unless you purposely harm another (can't yell fire in a full theater). 'Hub
              Is it any worse than printing the names of folks who have filed for BK in the paper?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X