Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Karma Security Breach

I got an email from Credit Karma today telling me that I was involved in at least 10 security breaches.

They listed two passwords that were effected. They listed the first two letters then blanked out the middle and then the last letter. They are passwords I have used in the past. One of the passwords is for my cellphone online account. I will have to change that one. The other password is a very old one, before online sites required more complex passwords (including an upper case, number and /or special character) I do not believe that password is used at any current account I have, if it's out there it would be at some old forum I haven't been to in ages and most likely isn't even still functioning that's how old it is.

Is this info for real and how would they have my passwords? I am going to change my cellphone account now. I think that same password was used on some of my old credit card online accounts which are no longer available since the cards were closed.

The passwords are available in databases that are sold on the internet. This site provides similar information.
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Comment

Don't reuse passwords. Turn on two factor authentication when available. You can see if you've reused passwords on multiple sites if you use an iPhone or Mac (Mohave): https://www.macworld.com/article/330...hijacking.html

Comment

Fortunately, only the one password was in use on one site. The other hasn't been used in forever it's just a word no numbers,. no capitalization. Neither are passwords for my banks or email addresses. I always made sure to make those passwords more difficult, but I use to share a few passwords between credit cards which are now all closed accounts and I don't have access to them anymore. I changed the one that was on my cell phone carrier website, so that should be ok now. I have passwords for my utilities and they are all different from each other and passwords to a few social media or forums which are all different from each other.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X