New to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this forum

Hello all! Glad I found this forum. I spent a few hours today reading threads which were very helpful to me.

I have about $117k in unsecured debts (mostly credit card debts) . I was paying the minimum and after paying, used my cards for our daily expenses or to pay bills, so every month my cards were maxed out. My unsecured debt payment every month was around $2300. I enrolled in a debt management plan and my monthly payment was reduced $1850, but my monthly income was still not enough to pay all the bills. My parents have been helping out financially. Even then I was a month behind in mortgage, and months behind our utility bills. Also was sued for a deficiency balance of a repossessed car from 2020. Debt collectors called me everyday (I never picked up the phone). I tried applying for HELOC but did not qualify due to my poor credit score. So I decided it was time to file for bankruptcy.

I filed Chapter 13 last December (should have done it sooner) and have made 3 payments since then. It's a 5-year plan (not sure what the % is) with a monthly payment of $755 until September this year, then will increase to $1577 once I have paid off my 401k loan. In addition, I have to forfeit a portion of my tax refund every year.

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you were able to research and make a decision to get your financial situation in order.

I didn't enjoy going through BK 13, but it really was what we needed to get out from under the debt as we tried for many many years to take care of it ourselves and were unsuccessful and wound up deeper in debt until we filed. There were so many years I wouldn't even consider BK due to the stigma and not realizing it was a way to really get ourselves back on track and have a better future.
    I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X