Weather Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Report

Once again, an unbelievably beautiful and GORGEOUS day here in South Florida. We had bought the steaks, charcoal, sodas, etc... and wanted to spend the Air show days at John Lloyd State Park, but it's closed because of all the security for Fleet Week. You can't go on the ships anymore either and the beloved Enterprise (CVN-65) does not enter Port Everglades.

I long for the old days when Fleet Week was at Port Everglades and the Military busted your ear drums at Opa locka field (Blue Angels), Homestead for those down south (Thunderbirds). I'd rather spend the 100 or so bucks for the day for the family and be with a smaller, better controlled crowd.

So rather than fight the crowds at the beach we'll barbeque around the pool with friends and neighbors and be satisfied with the overhead passes. My boys are in JROTC and got front row seats yesterday. They got to see the beach invasion by the Marines with hovercraft, the Helicopter drops and the planes came down near the deck for them in the area they were in. The Military treated it's future progeny very well yesterday.

South Florida most definitely has its drawbacks, it's very expensive to have your fun in the sun, but when its pretty its really pretty. Oddly enough, numerous roof repairs are still going on around my area from the three or four Hurricanes last year, and being a saturday i can here the yelling in Spanish and the hammers flying also.

Enjoy the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

PS- It's really neat how the bar above these posts does a google search for the keywords!
    Last edited by robivi3; 04-30-2005, 06:16 AM.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

The Thunderbirds gave us a magnificent flyover twice today, all six. They are great. What a lovely, lovely day. I even got my new screen door hung this evening!
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

Great to see someone is really enjoying life and enjoying it twice as well after Bankruptcy!
      I had a great day today too, my daughter (2 years old) and I have been exploring our new home (Chicago), we actually live in the northwest suburbs but have finally ventured out after a month and a half to the big windy city. We went to Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, right on the lakeshore of Lake Michigan. It too was a nice day, windy of course, probably not as worm as Florida... I enjoyed spending the day at the zoo with my little one and seeing how amazed she was when she saw a lions, the monkeys, the giraffes, and all the other neat animals.
      We have so many more things to see in town, next weekend is Polish festival in Chicago, and being Polish I can't wait to see the parade and have some great Polish food.
      By the way, you know I am a US Navy veteran, I served on board the USS Yosemite during Desert Storm as a Hospital Corpsman. My ship was stationed out of Jacksonville Florida. Thanks for reminding me of the good old days.
      Edyta...
      Discharged April 2005

Comment

I remember taking my kids to Jacksonville afew years back. We were "jaunting" from Disney back in 96', which were my pre-debt days, and lacking time we took a ferry and got off in one of those sparsely populated areas and got close enough to one of the Carriers. For those who have never seen one a Carrier is huge even at couple of miles. It's that sort of stealth haze grey that adds to the aura.

Just imagine the image of this diplomatic beast sitting off the coast of your country and you're about to lose alot of infrastructure, not to mention lives... the smart ones get real talkative then.

Oh well, I am glad to see Edny that there is LIFE after BK. I have only seen Chicago in a Microsoft Car game (no, not one of those car-jacking games, I don't allow them at all) years ago. If the map was correct then I might know a little of my way around the Lakeshore area in the City.

As for being Polish, on my fathers side I am also! My grandfather was from Seidlce and came here in 1904. He had served as an Officer under Kaiser Wilhelm in the Prussian Army. I still have the photo of him with his riding boots, Helmet with the ball on top and German Eagle on the front and epaulets on the shoulder boards. He hated the Military. He spent two years in an Austro Hungarian POW Camp. When he returned home he foreswore any more involvement at which point his wife left and his family disowned him.

He was fairly well off and took his money and went to Ottowa Canada. We have the document that he signed stating basically that he was not in Canada to spy on behalf of the Kaiser and in which he admitted to having served as an Officer. We also have pictires of the wife and two children. The wife and daughter in beautiful ruffled dresses and the boy with a john-john haircut in a sailor suit, the girl about seven, the boy about three.

He settled in Memphis, Tenn. and married my Grandmother. He retired as an engineer in the lumber industry very happily in 1956 and lived with myself and my parents until his death in 1975. He was in every respect except accent a loyal American and never did he ever express a desire to see his former Country. He did keep in touch with his children in Poland and while the fate of his ex (we hope, but are unsure of) wife is unkown the fate of his children is well known. The boy, also being a Polish Officer was taken into the woods along with several hundred others and shot by the Russians during the war, the girl was executed in 1947, reason unkown, but we imagine it was political.

Well, that being said, let's get back to the "great day" business. Yes, there is life after BK. It will overshadow us for years to come but it's importance will fade in time. I am glad to see that some of us are able to return to a normal, DEBT FREE life. Stay debt free!!!!

Comment

robi, your a hoot. I lived in Florida (clearwater) for all my childhood, ok, I guess, but now I'm here in "Sunny OHIO" yea, right. I hope your day stay great.

Comment

WHAT- a "cookout" and your didn't invite me!!!!
            Top of the day to ya all. Yes its been a nice weekend, but cold here in Ky.
            Having lived in South Ga for 10 years, I sure do miss the beach and the sunbelt weather. Ky sure doesn't offer any of that - all we have here is "mountains" and pretty horses".
            Yes there is life after BK, at least its all looking brighter now. Mine is not completely over, but maybe soon after we get over the fine details of buying house back.
            Have a good one, Folks
            Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X