Religion Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmrigs View Post
    Bandit, do you really think that Christians can come to an agreement on bankruptcy when there is 100's of denominations and they are all going into different directions with their beliefs?? One church only accepts the NIV version of the Bible, the other only KJV. One church says its ok to drink because Jesus turned water into wine, the other says no its an abomination. And on and on. They all claim to have a or THE "holy spirit" in them and they all have different ideas of what is right or wrong. Can it be from God? One holy ghost and they're all going in different directions. Anybody can take that fiction called the Bible and make a religion out of it.
    I'm curious if you think that the Torah or the Qur'an are works of fiction?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
      Yes all these books are fiction. Even the works in Hinduism and Buddhism. Religion originates in the minds of men.
      "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Yes all these books are fiction. Even the works in Hinduism and Buddhism. Religion originates in the minds of men.
        You know we know a quy who majored in religion in a local college, and he was taught that exact thing. I don't necessarily agree, but he sure does.

Hey I love your quote from John Adams.
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
          You know we know a quy who majored in religion in a local college, and he was taught that exact thing. I don't necessarily agree, but he sure does.

Hey I love your quote from John Adams.
          We can agree to disagree That quote has so much meaning. I would say that conquering a nation through debt is the worst form. By the sword you can see your occupiers. But by debt, the enemy is invisible. He is not walking the streets with weapons to subdue you. Jefferson once said that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. They can starve a nation by stangling its economy and you dont need one soldier to do it.
          "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Karl Marx on religion: "Die Religion... ist das Opium des Volkes" translation: "religion is the opium of the people"

Comment

We can agree to disagree That quote has so much meaning. I would say that conquering a nation through debt is the worst form. By the sword you can see your occupiers. But by debt, the enemy is invisible. He is not walking the streets with weapons to subdue you. Jefferson once said that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. They can starve a nation by stangling its economy and you dont need one soldier to do it.
              And that I do agree with. It has come to be. We are a nation in huge trouble all because of debt. Such a shame!
              Last edited by justplaintired; 07-18-2008, 06:36 AM.
              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Karl Marx on religion: "Die Religion... ist das Opium des Volkes" translation: "religion is the opium of the people"
                Good quote Scott. I like this quote also;

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.

Comment

I know I am very late to the party- but has anyone read the God Delusion? I was required to read a few of Dawkins books for an Evolutionary Psychology class in college and I have kept up with his works over the years. Some good stuff- he has some presentations on YouTube, too.
                  Filed: 3/12/08
                  341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                  Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

Originally posted by my4devils View Post
                    I know I am very late to the party- but has anyone read the God Delusion? I was required to read a few of Dawkins books for an Evolutionary Psychology class in college and I have kept up with his works over the years. Some good stuff- he has some presentations on YouTube, too.
                    I will have to check it out. Thanks

Comment

It is ok if I answer too?

I wouldn't say or even try to prove if they are fiction or non fiction when obviously there are still tribes today that do animal sacrifces in junction with their superstitions. And Other relgions who supposedly have done human sacrifcies as that is the jest from the OT tabernacle to the jesus story,

but rather my question would be, if we are to accept the story of jesus as fact & the OT as fact, then why would we (namely christians in this instance) reject all the other stories that are EXACTLY the same as jesus & the virgin? when after all, the story of a sacrificed human savior & a virgin existed way before the jesus saviour did.

it is so obvious that the roman empire took the story of a bloody human sacrifice along with the pagan religions of the day & created the same exact beliefs that always existed & put them into their own little book combined with an ancient religon of bloody sacrifices.

So, if we are going to accept one story of a messiah as fact, then why would we reject another story that is exactly the same as being fact?

continued in next post....

Comment

...continued...

at the same time, i feel there is a huge need for most humans to have some kind of belief, just something in th emind & heart that helps to take away the pain & problems of a finite life, with hopes of something better when we die.

& that i have no problem with.

Comment

Originally posted by my4devils View Post

I probably have enough of my own god delusions

I sure dont need any more, but it would be intersting to read if from another perspective.
                          Maybe you could put one of the best youtube videos of Dawkins? , I use youtube often for entertainment & information.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent book that examines the differences and similarities of the three major faiths- Christian, Judaism and Islam? I've read Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths...

Comment

Hail mary full of grace blessed is the fruit of thy womb....mother mary we pray to thee.... for like an hour

I cant take that stuff. To me that is like vain repitition saying nothing.

I have a feeling that there is an ounce of truth to every religion smothered in tons of lies & humanoid dogma & some mother goose myth. Sifting thru it was not that hard for me. I figure everyone takes what works for them & makes sense then throws the rest. & there is a certain amount of brainwashing as to why some people become so mindless & cannot think for themselves when following an esablished religion & figuring out how to get from A to B.

& when you meet so many who think their belief is the only right belief...NOPE.

Just some observations.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post

How can dust mites pretend to know the mind of God and blow people up or kill people in the name of any group?????

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X