No announcement yet.

Religion Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Bandit;177553]Hail mary full of grace blessed is the fruit of thy womb....mother mary we pray to thee.... for like an hour
    I cant take that stuff. To me that is like vain repitition saying nothing.

No one is asking you to take that stuff. The Rosary is revered and a constant comfort to many.

You should concentrate on your own comforting mantras and MYOB on how others deal.

And...to all of you who keep posting quotes.....google the opposite viewpoint and you will come up with many quotes to counter your posted quote.
    Last edited by fltoo; 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

fltoo , speaking of quotes, if you are going to quote someones quote, at least get the quote right. You keep screwing up the persons quotes & all that is going to do is make a mess out of the thread if someone else quotes your quote.

& yes I have been asked to take that stuff to answer you as there are a couple of chanting catholics in my family. I am sure I am not the only one.
      I reject all religious mantras & have none of my own. Hope that answers you.

And...to all of you who keep posting quotes.....google the opposite viewpoint and you will come up with many quotes to counter your posted quote.
      and?....
      people quote quotes all the time. no harm in doing that.

Just as one person can quote a chant or a quote, I can also post my reaction to it just as you post your reaction to people who quote quotes.

Comment

I did get the quote right. It was thee that said what I quoted. lol

And...thou missed my point. Making a point with someone else's opinion or quote is futile since you can find quotes to support the opposite opinion.

No one is telling thou not to quote something. Knock theeself out. lol

I still love thee bandit even though thou yelled at me.
        Last edited by fltoo; 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
          fltoo , speaking of quotes, if you are going to quote someones quote, at least get the quote right. You keep screwing up the persons quotes & all that is going to do is make a mess out of the thread if someone else quotes your quote.

& yes I have been asked to take that stuff to answer you as there are a couple of chanting catholics in my family. I am sure I am not the only one.
          I reject all religious mantras & have none of my own. Hope that answers you.

and?....
          people quote quotes all the time. no harm in doing that.

Just as one person can quote a chant or a quote, I can also post my reaction to it just as you post your reaction to people who quote quotes.

"Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
            I did get the quote right. It was THEE that said what I quoted. lol
            you tried quoting my quote but did it wrong. I am trying to help you so in the future you quote it right.

i dont know if that is you or something wrong on your end but everytime you quote someone else you drop off the end tag, that does put the quote into a quote box...

so what will happen is, the next person who quotes you, it will make it look like they are saying what you said.

Look below & you see what happens when you leave off the end tag & the next person quotes you. I did not say all that because when I quoted you, your lack of tagging it, will screw up the entire thread for future readers & posters. I am sure you are not doing it on purpose but I still wanted you to see it.

[QUOTE=fltoo;177580]
            Hail mary full of grace blessed is the fruit of thy womb....mother mary we pray to thee.... for like an hour
            I cant take that stuff. To me that is like vain repitition saying nothing.

No one is asking you to take that stuff. The Rosary is revered and a constant comfort to many.

You should concentrate on your own comforting mantras and MYOB on how others deal.

Comment

I did get the quote right. It was thee that said what I quoted. lol

And...thou missed my point. Making a point with someone else's opinion or quote is futile since you can find quotes to support the opposite opinion.

No one is telling thou not to quote something. Knock theeself out. lol

And that applies not only in quotes but you can refute a persons argument by finding opposite arguments on Google. A quote from somebody can enhance a point especially if that quote comes from someone more qualified and had the experience in a situation. Thats not futile. In case law, quotes of court rulings and judges are used to make arguments. Is that futile also?
              "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788

Comment

Got ya bandit. Must be something wrong on this end.

Someone quoted me a couple of times when it wasn't me. Must be the same problem.

Comment

I wasn't yelling at thou. I put smileys in thine.

Why lovest thou me? I lovest thou thine

Comment

Okay- I have never posted links before so hopefully this will work. This is probably my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A. His stuff can get pretty deep but this one is a good intro.

If you need a good laugh- check out Eddie Izzard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ope-1Zb5t-k.

At the very least- you can listen to some cool accents for a few minutes. Enjoy!
                    Filed: 3/12/08
                    341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                    Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

Originally posted by my4devils View Post
                      Okay- I have never posted links before so hopefully this will work. This is probably my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A. His stuff can get pretty deep but this one is a good intro.!
                      He is funny. I like his approach especially on revealaing that educated christians are evolutionists too. Though I dont see the point in either side of that argument since no one has proven anything quite yet.

I found this which I totally agree with Dawkins:

Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that. Revealed faith is not harmless nonsense, it can be lethally dangerous nonsense. Dangerous because it gives people unshakeable confidence in their own righteousness. Dangerous because it gives them false courage to kill themselves, which automatically removes normal barriers to killing others. Dangerous because it teaches enmity to others labelled only by a difference of inherited tradition. And dangerous because we have all bought into a weird respect, which uniquely protects religion from normal criticism. Let's now stop being so damned respectful![69]

If you need a good laugh- check out Eddie Izzard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ope-1Zb5t-k.

At the very least- you can listen to some cool accents for a few minutes. Enjoy!
                      I was laughing so hard with this guy because everything he said about it is true, especially Henry the 8th the christian, chopping of his second wifes head & the pope questioning is that as real christian!!! ROFL!
                      From my experience they have not actually studied much history, linguistics or culture to even know how it all really began...because going outside of the bible, chants, hymns & & creeds is taboo.

Thanks for the links, my4devils It was a good chuckle this morning over my orange juice.

Comment

Though I dont see the point in either side of that argument since no one has proven anything quite yet.
                        Hmmmmm, yes, well science can only do so much. They will get it eventually. I will take empirical evidence and reason over blind faith anyday. Eddie Izzard is really funny- I think he will be the one I watch for new stuff since Carlin passed. Glad you liked it.
                        Filed: 3/12/08
                        341 Meeting: 4/11/08
                        Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

Hmmmmm, yes, well science can only do so much. They will get it eventually. I will take empirical evidence and reason over blind faith anyday.
                          Amen to that.....

Comment

Below is a link to a site that is based on historical facts on the founding our great nation and the spiritual beliefs of the men who founded it.

Live and let live regardless of whether your espouse christianity or not, learn to do good and not evil, love your fellowman, live peaceable with others as much as it is possible. Forgive others. Provide hope.

This is not easy to do, even for those who claim christianity. It is a struggle for all of us.

No matter how much we all might fall short from doing the right thing in our day to day lives. God is still God and he is Love.

"Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
                            It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres. Love never fails" 1 Cor. 13:4-8

Couldn't we all use this type of love in our lives?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaoline View Post
                              Below is a link to a site that is based on historical facts on the founding our great nation and the spiritual beliefs of the men who founded it.

Live and let live regardless of whether your espouse christianity or not, learn to do good and not evil, love your fellowman, live peaceable with others as much as it is possible. Forgive others. Provide hope.

This is not easy to do, even for those who claim christianity. It is a struggle for all of us.

No matter how much we all might fall short from doing the right thing in our day to day lives. God is still God and he is Love.

"Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
                              It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres. Love never fails" 1 Cor. 13:4-8

Couldn't we all use this type of love in our lives?
                              Hi Shaoline

if you want real historical facts about this country, then you need to go back farther than 1773 & 1776 & stop giving all the credit to a few christians as the founders.
                              Does everytime someone goes in and slaughters the existing people on any given land, make them the founders? For example if China decides to wage war tomorrow & take the land slaughtering every christian in their path, I suppose the communist will be the founders of America & the founders of this great nation will be communist then...yes?

I hardly view the butchery of 10 million native indians by christians my idea of love, but rather hate & greed in which those christians must not have known about your scripture. I would say that it is Christians who need to learn to live & let live & stop pushing their religion as the only right religion on everyone across the globe by killing & destroying everyone else... & muslims aint any better.

so yah...I agree we could all use that kind of love...sounds good in poetry but somehow religion just does not get it so cookie cutter perfect.

Obviously

Comment

Hmmmmm, yes, well science can only do so much. They will get it eventually. I will take empirical evidence and reason over blind faith anyday. Eddie Izzard is really funny- I think he will be the one I watch for new stuff since Carlin passed. Glad you liked it.
                                I suppose & maybe... but from an agnostic POV to be convinced?, I have my wonders that anyone will ever be able to prove any of their theories, almost as if humans are destined in some bizzare way & will never figure it out anything beyond a theory(s).

I remember now why they debate it so much because it goes back to the school when some teachers were pushing evolution as a fact like a religion, instead of a theory & that is when the christians freaked out & said no, & started debating it.

I never found Carlin funny. I agreed with Carlin too much & took his talk on a more serious & sarcastic note where as this Eddie Izzard is more of a stand up comic to me. I still like them both very much.
                                Dawkins could be a comedian too, IMO & I like his presentation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X